The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant, #1, #2, #3)

The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant #1, #2, #3)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In this jagged, brilliant tour of London noir, Detective Chief Inspector Roberts and Detective Sergeant Brant are obverse sides of the same tarnished coin as they come up against thugs, gangs, and lowlifes.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Kate's Mystery Books (first published March 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The White Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Trilogy

Patrick O'Neil
I had a hard go starting Ken Bruen's The White Trilogy. The writing felt clunky, and rough, spit out in bits, and slung at my head like a fishmonger tossing out a three day old Flounder. I was thinking: "I can't do this. Dude writes like a butcher." And then, Bruen did this thing he does, it's really simple:

Roberts didn't know what to say. "I don't know what to say," He said.

Yup, obviously doesn't take much to impress me. But really, if you think about it, and even if you don't, it’s fucking b...more
Tim Niland
May 12, 2008 Tim Niland rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Todd
Shelves: 2008-reads
Ken Bruen - The White Trilogy

Collecting A White Arrest, Taming the Alien and The McDead, this introduces two of Irish noir writer Ken Bruen's finest creations, the unlikely duo of Chief Inspector Roberts Detective and Sergeant Brant. While Roberts isn't exactly a do-gooder, he's positively a saint compared to the amoral and brutal Brant. This dichotomy makes them such a fascinating pair to follow as the cover London (and New York in one memorable story) in search of the legendary "white arrest",...more
Ian Mathers
I burned through the first half of this one in a night or two, then it almost burned me out; the whole thing felt just a little too mean spirited and nihilistic to consume in one gulp, and Bruen's impressionistic take on noir was a bit hard to follow when you're speeding through the books that fast. After setting it aside for a week, though, it was easier to see the humour in the characters, and really this is only a few shades darker than something like Terry Pratchett's Night Watch books (and...more
Herb Hastings
You don't get much more hard boiled than the 3 books in compendium. The stories follow London police into the heart of darkness. The main character is SGT Brant, a violent,and angry force of nature. He says of himself, " I was born angry and then got worse". The closest he has to a friend is Chief Inspector Roberts who is aging but still a man to be reckoned with.

Bruen's terse and tight writing style drives these stories at an adrenalin pace. If you like noir fiction, read these books.
Douglas Castagna
Three books in one, albeit short ones. These books move along at a fast clip and have the feeling thrusting the reader into a boxing match, by the end of each novel one feels rather punch drunk and loopy. His style is sparse and energetic, and while traditionally each book has no real resolution, this does work well as a trilogy since there is carryover. Currently I am reading BLITZ which made me cognizant of the writer when I watched the movie with Jason Stratam.
Mike
Three excellent interconnected noir tales of inspectors Roberts and Brant bringing their own special blend of law and order to London. Less laconic than present, Bruen develops a great set of characters to surround the inspectors and puts them in service of solid storylines.
Ed O'farrell
Not Bruen's best work, but entertaining nonetheless. Far better than most of what passes for mystery and suspense fiction these days. My three stars are more a reflection of the context of Bruen's other work than in comparison to other authors. Well worth the time and money.
Adam
Ken Bruen’s White Trilogy is breathless black comic mayhem thinly disguised as police procedural. The nonstop jokes, riffs on pop culture and post modern elliptical plots remind me of Steve Aylett. An almost ambient style that is more absorbed than read.
April
A refreshing kick in the teeth of a book (to call it a mere "crime novel" would be a grave injustice)...features some of my favorite, most memorable & complex baddies, sorta-good guys, and general pieces of work since the last Ellroy I read.
David Simonetti
This is well worth reading. It is filled with total low lives and is a classic detectibve novel with a modern twist that highlights contemporary depravity. The writing is good and the main character is likeable depsite his many flaws.
Jeff
If you haven't read Ken Bruen, you have a treat in store. Great noir writer from Ireland. His Brant character is wonderful, a Dirty-Harry type cop that everyone loathes, but he gets the job done!
Ellen
What can I say about Ken Bruen's Tom Brant stories that hasn't already been said? Required reading. A must have for your library. What a ride! Yeah, like that.
Kathleen
Great characters.
After reading all the Jack Taylors, I was jonesing for more. The White Trilogy delivers.
The timing is different, but the pitch is perfect.
Brian
It's easy to see the humor in Bruen's unrelenting bleakness but the glimmers of humanity amid the non stop violence it the work of an artist.
Matt Stewart
Mar 12, 2007 Matt Stewart rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dudes
Shelves: done
the funniest, most terse crime writing I've ever read - Jim Thompson hepped up on Jon Stewart. it's not literature, but an excellent vacation read.
Lee Hannah McDonald
Bruen is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I love the grittiness of his stories and his succinct style of writing.
Tim
Aug 08, 2007 Tim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: so, you think tarantino is a softie
Brutal, funny, and a very quick read. Not for those who like their heroes heroic.
Jeffrey
If Bukowski and Ellory spawned this would have popped out onto the pavement.
Joel
his first 3 books including A White Arrest
Tom LS
kickass pace, great characters
Jim
weary of this cockney tarantino style.
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Dawid Van
Dawid Van marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Ken Bruen, born in Galway in 1951, is the author of The Guards (2001), the highly acclaimed first Jack Taylor novel. He spent twenty-five years as an English teacher in Africa, Japan, S.E. Asia and South America. His novel Her Last Call to Louis Mac Niece (1997) is in production for Pilgrim Pictures, his "White Trilogy" has been bought by Channel 4, and The Guards is to be filmed in Ireland by De...more
More about Ken Bruen...
The Guards (Jack Taylor, #1) The Killing Of The Tinkers (Jack Taylor, #2) The Magdalen Martyrs (Jack Taylor, #3) Priest (Jack Taylor, #5) The Dramatist (Jack Taylor, #4)