Start by marking “Blitz (Inspector Brant, #4)” as Want to Read:
Blitz (Inspector Brant, #4)

Blitz (Inspector Brant #4)

The South East London police squad are down and out: Detective Sergeant Brant is in hot water for assaulting a police shrink, Chief Inspector Roberts' wife has died in a horrific car accident, and WPC Falls is still figuring out how to navigate her job as a black female investigator in the notorious unit. When a serial killer takes his show on the road, things get worse fo
Published June 1st 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Blitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blitz

Isabelle
Oct 18, 2012 Isabelle rated it really liked it
This book was sent to us by a friend from France, and until we received it, the only thing I knew about Ken Bruen is that he had written the story behind the movie "London Boulevard". I am not sure how the book reads in French, but I have to say that I read this book in 2 hours or so and enjoyed myself thoroughly. Actually, I flew through the novel.
It is a simple "whodunit" story with really bad criminals and really bad cops. Everyone bends the rules, everyone blurs the line. Simple, almost form
TheRavenking
Just like the title would indicate this was a quick read.
Having already seen the movie I was surprised how faithful it was to the book
Though I thought the character and motivations of the killer were better fleshed out in the film and the plot was a bit more streamlined.
Bruen manoeuvres about a dozen characters in this book and somehow he makes them come alive with only a few lines of description. This was my first Brant book and it was a lot faster and less contemplative than the Jack Taylor n
Ammar
Apr 24, 2016 Ammar rated it really liked it
Another instalment in Inspector Brant series.

The blitz ... A cop killer haunts the police in London. Would Brant be able to catch him ?

The cast and characters are still as they are ... Binge drinking and enjoying the life of a copper

Snitches are hard to maintain and some go out of their way and something nasty happens to them

Bruen is as good as always... I enjoyed the quotations Between chapters and how they gave a hint to the chapters content.

It sucks that there are only 7 books in this serie
Kathy Davie
Jan 20, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Fourth in the Inspector Brant suspense series set in London and revolving around Sergeant Tom Brant, a corrupt, brutal cop with a heart.

My Take
Oh, I was so hoping the opening scene with the shrink would be Brant! It's one of the things I like about Brant---he has no compunctions about destroying self-righteous know-it-alls like Dr. Hazel. Then there's Falls' treatment of a group therapy leader...oh yeah….

It's an interesting mix of cops helping each other and, metaphorically, beating on each ot
Maddy
Oct 03, 2009 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006-reads
RATING: 3.5
PROTAGONIST: Detective Sergeant Brant
SETTING: London
SERIES: Follow-on to The White Trilogy
SUMMARY: Ostensibly, the book is a police procedural with the police squad chasing down a serial killer who is targeting cops in different beats around London. Nicknamed "Blitz", he is not a particularly brilliant killer. In fact, Brant and company are on to him rather quickly. Where the book excels is in its character studies. Brant is a confounding, rough, tough but somehow, against all odds, i
M
Nov 17, 2015 M rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In the words of John McEnroe...

Awful, just awful. Reads like Janet and John, only with added homophobia, bad dialogue, and clichés of clichés. A real low in my reading history.
Sylvia
Aug 17, 2015 Sylvia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I like this book. I'm not even sure I'm supposed to like the book, what with the assholes for characters and the rather thin plot.
But oh, Brant and Nash - I would have loved to read more about their blossoming... work relationship ;)
Lee Hannah McDonald
Aug 03, 2013 Lee Hannah McDonald rated it really liked it
I'm pretty much obsessed with this author now and especially love this series. Good, good stuff.
Eric
Sep 23, 2009 Eric rated it it was amazing
Read the whole book in one day while home sick. Hardboiled and fastpaced - soon to be a movie starring Jason Statham.
John
Mar 07, 2013 John rated it it was amazing
They made a film of this. Jason Statham. Not too shabby. Bruen doesn't mince words.
Sebastian
Dec 24, 2013 Sebastian rated it it was amazing
Pure Bruen genius!

When thinking about authors that write noir well, no one comes to mind quicker than Ken Bruen. He has a remarkable ability to present us with characters that are rotten inside but still manages to makes us care for them. In the Inspector Brant series we get to read about the despicable policeman who has little regard for the law, tramples over people as if they were a small bump on the road and acts as tough as any character out there. But the mesmerizing part is that once you
Tony
Nov 15, 2013 Tony rated it liked it
BLITZ. (2003). Ken Bruen. ***.
I’ve obviously missed a few of Buren’s earlier works, but our library system had a decent supply. They were all published in the country by the Do-Not Press, which is a new house to me. I also scored a DVD of the film made from this novel. It is titled “Blitz,” and features Jason Statham, Paddy Considine, and Aiden Gillan. The protagonist is “Brant,” a rogue cop – one that you would expect in a Bruen novel. Once again, Bruen manages to tell a story without having an
Gary
Aug 25, 2008 Gary rated it it was amazing
If Jack the Ripper Told Bedtime Stories...

...he'd probably ask Ken Bruen to write his scripts.

Ken Bruen's "Blitz" is a rock `em, sock `em, no-holds-bar brawl of violent men and hard women on both sides of the law - an in-your-face tale told from the wrong side of London.

Remember the days when Lawrence Sanders was bringing crime fiction to the masses with NYPD's tough Captain Delaney and gripping crime drama like "The First Deadly Sin?" Well, carve up Sander's pedestrian prose with a broken-off b
Tim Niland
Oct 09, 2009 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
After a number of run-ins with London's finest, Barry Weiss is mad as hell and not going to take it anymore. Not exactly a model of self control, Weiss decides to get even by starting to kill cops. In an increasingly sadistic series of murders he ratchets up the pressure on the Metropolitan police force as members of their ranks fall in the line of duty. The Met themselves are in a shambles - DI Roberts loses his wife in a car accident and slides into a mental breakdown. PC Falls experiment with ...more
Michael Tucker
Jul 02, 2013 Michael Tucker rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Noir Fans
My second Ken Bruen book in two days. After reading "The Killing of the Tinkers" of the Jack Taylor series I was a little worried. I didn't need to be, "Blitz" delivered. A great noir telling of a serial killer picking on the cops. The "Blitz" is part of the Detective Sergeant Brant and Chief Inspector Roberts series.

Bruen introduces a bunch of conflicted and flawed character cops and weaves us through their tangled relationships with one another as the race to find the psychopath that is killin
Herb Hastings
Aug 04, 2013 Herb Hastings rated it it was amazing
When you read Ken Bruen books you need to keep a pen and paper at hand because a wide array of literary and musical allusions come flying your way.His references to quotes from other crime writers are spot on. He must read all the hours of the day he isn't writing. Sometimes, just to change things up he quotes from movies.
This novel follows the violent but complex Sgt Brant as he searches for a serial killer targeting police. The villain is a bored psychopath who decides to become famous by kill
Marjolein
Much against my own unwritten rule of starting with the first book in a series, book 4 was the first book I read by this author. Fortunately, that did not prove to be a hindrance.
Ken Bruen's style takes a bit of getting used to, but in the end I took quite a liking to it. It's very descriptive in its deceptive simplicity. Feeling sorry for his translators, though: having to translate this kind of contemporary BE is no mean feat.
I still have to watch the movie - will let you know about that later
Shibosan
Nov 15, 2013 Shibosan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
После давнишнего просмотра фильма решил почитать и книгу. Впечатление она оставила странное, хотя сюжет в целом один и тот же, книга разве что немного интереснее.

Если в фильме герой, несмотря на всю свою badass-сность остается в целом положительным персонажем, то в книге инспектор Брант, который не является даже главным героем, в отличие от фильма, вызывает поначалу едва ли не отвращение. Типичный пост-нуарный персонаж, который с удовольствием борется с силами зла еще большим злом: вымогательств
Aaron
Mar 23, 2010 Aaron rated it liked it
Very interesting.

This being my first foray into the gritty world of Ken Bruen, I wasn't sure what to expect. I discovered the closest approximation to the original noirs of the 1940's than I have encountered in quite some time. Ostensibly, a police procedural about a cop killer who calls himself The Blitz, the book is really more about the tragically flawed officers who try to catch him.

The tricks Bruen pulls with form made the pages just fly by. It ended perhaps a bit too abruptly, but I will
Ann
Jan 06, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
Ken Bruen's style of writing won't be for everyone. It is spare and lean and hard biting dialogue. In Blitz, this dialogue is from the pov of newly introduced members of the Southeast London Police force - not a warm and cuddly group, but a hard drinking and hard living group of cops without much in the way of political correctness to their manner of police work. This book's cast and tone is similar to that of the Jack Taylor series (The Guards and Killing the Tinkers) and with the spare prose, ...more
Pat Sul
Apr 23, 2013 Pat Sul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
tough, terse, taunt.
stripped down. bare prose. unlikeable characters.violence, corruption. killer on the streets. hard swearing and drinking. little description. lots of talking.

enjoyed the movie of this book.
book reads like a first draft of the movie. just missing stage directions.

stylish in a minimalist sort of way.
quick read.

good stuff, but no ed mcbain (one of the characters in the book is an ed mcbain fan).
will check out bruen again - but not sure i could go for too much of the same s
Mary Sue
May 30, 2016 Mary Sue rated it it was amazing
What a surprise! This is my first Ken Bruen read and I loved his dialogue, sharp wit, well defined characters and plotting. The setting is London, from housing to parks to bars the diverse characters are cops and a cop killer. Conflict between old school and new breed; between races; hot heads and dunderheads is indeed irksome but entertaining. I did have to refer often to my Urban Dictionary Ap to define the Brit slang. Hope to read other volumes.
Brian
Apr 05, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
Not something I'd normally read, never mind enjoy, but putting myself in the "some people think, talk and act that way" mindset, I finished and liked it. The one negative review I read here mentioned clichés of clichés, and yes, there are plenty of those. But as a cheap, quick blast it worked. McBain is cross referenced - this isn't a patch on him, but still, served a purpose.
Patrick O'Neil
May 04, 2011 Patrick O'Neil rated it liked it
Nine times outta ten the sequel never matches up to the original. Oh Ken, Ken, Ken - you were on such a roll with The White Trilogy. I was impressed. I was hooked. I thought I'd stumbled upon the new Irish literary messiah. Hell, maybe I put too much on ya. But there was such promise. And though it was entertaining, sadly, your Blitz didn't deliver the goods.
Steve
Jan 12, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2008
Ken Bruen is a unique voice in crime fiction. He is truly a punk rock writer. He writes in short blasts of witty bitter truthful blurts and blasts. But he doesn't let his style overwhelm is substance.
Brucie
Sep 23, 2013 Brucie rated it really liked it
Apparently this is the fourth story in a series of Brant episodes and he is depressed. Along with other colleagues, fighting criminals with deeper problems, Brant seems to be an unwilling hero. Of course it's an Irish story.
Mary
Jun 25, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Ken Bruen is like no other writer I've read. A combination of hard-boiled, hard-assed cop fiction and gritty street life with an astonishing underlay of literary and emotional depth. Everyday banality and erudite references dwell together, all polished with a wicked sense of humour.
Jen
I really enjoyed this story. I first saw the movie and then wanted to read the book it was based on. I thought they both were very good. I didn't realize Brant was a recurring character until I finished this book. Now I need to find the first three. :-)
Mkb
Jun 15, 2014 Mkb rated it liked it
I like the Brandt series better than the Taylor series.

Brandt is kind of larger than life (he even appears in a Taylor book under another name--for legal reasons apparently) and we are not invited into his suffering. Taylor is just so miserable and never catches a break.
Vaughan
Aug 03, 2008 Vaughan rated it really liked it
I'll be done with this in about 20 minutes and am enjoying this much more than the last Bruen I read (the Hackman Blues, one of the few I've read by him that didn't completely take over my life for a few days.) I want to be Inspector Brant...
  • The Big O
  • How the Dead Live
  • The Coldest Mile (Cold, #2)
  • The Storm Without
  • Fifty Grand
  • The Color of Blood (Ed Loy, #2)
  • Damn Near Dead: An Anthology of Geezer Noir
  • Stone City
  • The Long-Legged Fly (Lew Griffin, #1)
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • Little Criminals
  • Saturday's Child (Cal Innes, #1)
  • The Last Quarry (Quarry #7)
  • Rain Dogs
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Hellbox (Nameless Detective, #36)
  • Bye Bye Baby
  • Toros & Torsos
Ken Bruen, born in Galway in 1951, is the author of The Guards (2001), the highly acclaimed first Jack Taylor novel. He spent twenty-five years as an English teacher in Africa, Japan, S.E. Asia and South America. His novel Her Last Call to Louis Mac Niece (1997) is in production for Pilgrim Pictures, his "White Trilogy" has been bought by Channel 4, and The Guards is to be filmed in Ireland by De ...more
More about Ken Bruen...

Inspector Brant (7 books)
  • A White Arrest (Inspector Brant, #1)
  • Taming The Alien (Inspector Brant, #2)
  • The McDead (Inspector Brant, #3)
  • Vixen (Inspector Brant, #5)
  • Calibre (Inspector Brant, #6)
  • Ammunition (Inspector Brant, #7)

“The whiskey kicked like a mugger.” 11 likes