Start by marking “Glück des Fliegens” as Want to Read:
Glück des Fliegens

Richard Bach

Glück des Fliegens

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,688 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Once in a generation a book, a vision, a writer, capture the imagination  and emotions of millions. Jonathan  Livingston Seagull was such a book. Richard Bach's unique vision again shines forth, touching with magic the drama of life in all its limitless horizons. Once again Richard Bach has written a masterpiece to help you touch that part of your home  that is the sky.
Paperback
Published June 1st 1995 by Ullstein Buchverlage GmbH & Co. KG / Ullstein Tas (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Glück des Fliegens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glück des Fliegens

John Mahon
Jun 06, 2012 John Mahon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories that Richard had published in Flying Magazine. I bought my (first ) copy on my 18th birthday. It gave the strength to believe in my dream of becoming a pilot. Some of the stories are brilliant in their simplicity, and depth. It might be a little too technical in places. Highly recommended.
Tom Fowler
Sep 05, 2009 Tom Fowler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love everything Bach wrote. Don't always agree with his theology, but do his imagery.
Vogon
Sep 27, 2012 Vogon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just put my my recent reading of this book in here but I have read this book a number of times. Every time I read it I am inspired. It brings out the joy and agony of flight so beautifully that I have a nostalgia for something I have never experienced before. Once, based on this book, I took an introductory flight on a small Cessna 172. It was beautiful and moving - much like this book is. I am sure I will read it again within the next five years.
Rick
May 24, 2009 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent compilation of the wide variety of Bach's capabilities as an aviation author. These short stories entertain and educate as well as give insight to the mind of the writer. Bach to me is comparable to earlier aviation authors along the St. Exupery or Anne Lindbergh genre. It's an easy read as most stories are short, some too much so. Bach has the ability to draw his reader in to his story and sometimes leaves them wanting more when he ends them.
Terimila
Jan 18, 2012 Terimila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my_own
Before I started reading this book, it had NEVER happened to me that I would feel that someone expresses my real and secret thoughts and feelings better than I do by myself. Now I know it's possible. And it's wonderful to see that not only I am a crazy dreamer who's in love with flying, but also a very experienced pilot feels something similar. I am lost for words about this book.
Maija
Feb 08, 2012 Maija rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the book. It's inspiring and allows to fly up in the sky every time I open it.
Summer Houston
May 19, 2011 Summer Houston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is great for anyone that loves flying. Bach takes you into the clouds with every detail of the pilots control. Places and scenes you'll never come to know until you've been behind the controls. Adventure in the open skies.
Caroline
Feb 02, 2009 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm stunned to find out how much of my life has been based on Richard Bach's writings - I guess I could do worse.
TSEliot
i learned to fly
Usama Tariq
Oct 09, 2014 Usama Tariq rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring... <3
Rick Kuehn
Dec 29, 2012 Rick Kuehn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read for any pilot.
Kari Phillips
Mar 19, 2008 Kari Phillips rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for those who love Richard Bach's writing
Recommended to Kari by: Mom, of course
...makes me homesick for wind and sky ...
Camila N.
3 1/2 stars

This book is not for everyone.

I start with this because I'm seeing a lot of five stars reviews and they probably come for a lot of people who love flying.

I love flying too. I studied to be a flight attendant (among other things) because my view is not so great as to fly for a living (although I still want to pursue that pilot license), but I recognize that this book doesn't have much to do with Illusions and Jonathan Livingston Seagull. It is a collection of short stories that were p
Kiri
Jan 07, 2017 Kiri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: flying
I very much enjoyed Jonathan Livingston Seagull, so I was delighted to get to read Richard Bach's stories of being a (human) pilot. I didn't know much about his personal flying background before reading this collection of stories. Some are so-so, and some are entirely magical. My favorites are "Found at Pharisee" and "School for Perfection," which really should be read by all student pilots at some point, to inspire discussions with their instructors if nothing else. :) "Help I am a prisoner in ...more
Sebastjan
Jan 13, 2014 Sebastjan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enkrat v generaciji knjiga, vizija ali pisatelj ujamejo domišljijo in čustva milijonov ljudi. Takšna knjiga je Jonathan Livingston Galeb.

Enkratna vizija Richarda Bacha nas v Podarjenih krilih zopet obseva, dotika se nas z magijo drame življenja, v vsej svoji neomejenosti horizontov. Ponovno je Richard Bach napisal mojstrovino, ki nam pomaga dotakniti se neba, ki je naš dom.

=====================================
Moji najboljši papirnati otroci so zbrani tu. Rešil sem jih izpod kupa zavržene šare, r
Amber
Review posted on my blog http://thewriterslibrary.blogspot.com

I am no pilot. I don't know about fuel gauges, aviation, airports, or turbulence. I'm not a mechanic. Nuts and bolts are just objects to me; meaningless objects. Yet somehow this book grabbed me and refused to let me go until I'd finished.
A collection of very nice short stories indeed. Some I liked more than others. Some were just so philosophical I automatically understood and loved them ("Letters from a God-fearing Man"). It's not
Mala Ashok
Jan 24, 2016 Mala Ashok rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first thought as I started reading this book was that it was not as inspirational as "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" or "Illusions;" but as I read along I changed my mind. The author is very perceptive and he shares his views through his flight experiences for example when he warns us that whatever we pray for we get. He himself finds out that the perspective he has found in flight means something more than all the miles he's gone.One of the more interesting essays in the book is where he compa ...more
Hannah McLaughlin
I have read this book before on multiple occasions, and it is by far one of the best books I have ever read. Some of the stories in this book are a little hard to get through, but Bach makes up for it in others. He perfectly captures the essence of flying, and many of the stories in this book read like they're true! My favorites are "School for Perfection" and "Cat". This book motivated me throughout my primary flight training and I regularly order copies for both pilot and non-pilot friends. I ...more
Martyspringsteen98
Che dire? L'ho preso pensando di trovare un noioso diario di bordo, un manuale di istruzioni di aeroplani dei quali non sapevo nemmeno il nome...invece ho trovato la risposta a tanti dubbi esistenziali risolti con la semplicità che solo Richard Bach sa usare. È un'autobiografia redatta in racconti e alcuni di questi li ami, altri li odi, alcuni non li capisci, mentre in altri ti ritrovi benissimo manco ti avessero letto nel pensiero...insomma è un libro dannatamente umano...da leggere!
Angela
Aug 18, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't nearly as metaphysical as Bach's other books. Instead, it focused on flying - "A Gift of Wings" is pretty literal! I read this simple, heartfelt book about flying while I was working at a small airport and learning how to fly. It was a pretty powerful combination. How would it stand up? I have no idea.
Tony Hoft
Sep 09, 2013 Tony Hoft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, I located the dusty paperback after all these years.
I read this book so long ago, after Jonathan Livingstone Seagull and Illusions by the same author. All I remember is that I enjoyed A Gift of Wings so much, I didn't want it to end. Now that I have it in hand after twenty years, time to read it again.
Chris Amies
Nov 23, 2015 Chris Amies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of stories and observations that carried me through my late teens. I used to cycle to the airfield nearby and watch the small planes fly away and come back. For all I know there was a cat by the runway. I did my first (glider) solo the day after I left school. It was that kind of time.
Stuart Kelly
Apr 03, 2012 Stuart Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago and I loved it. It's a collection of short stories all to do with aviation. Bach's love of flying and of aeroplanes shines out of the pages and inspires. Even after all the years hied prose has the power to enable me to mentally 'slip the surly bonds of earth'.
Richard
Apr 13, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book to read and re-read. Although not a flier myself, I was immersed in aviation as an aircraft mechanic in my early years and Richard Bach helps me to reconnect with that wonderful world of flying.
Aaron Benarroch
Se percibe en cada frase la profunda pasión del autor por el vuelo. Yo no soy tan friki en cuanto a aeroplanos y mecánica, por lo cual este libro me ha parecido más bien pesado. En lo que me apasiona, probablemente a la hora de comunicarlo a los demás soy tana aburrido como él ;-)
Ayan Scratuglia
Nov 24, 2011 Ayan Scratuglia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Bach once again touches high levels by analyzing the drama of life in all its limitless horizons. Wonderful.
Anna
Jan 06, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free the mind to think beyond learned patterns
Andy
Apr 30, 2013 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bunch of SHORT stories...maybe skits is a better word. Many are 3 pages. Some as many as 9 pages. I liked some, I dis-liked others.
Jack
Nov 20, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of stories for the adventuring introspective reader. Simple stories that take you to surprising places. Neat!
Linda Darby
  • العقل القوي
  • Misadventures in the 213
  • Neuropolitique
  • Handbook for the Soul
  • The Myths and Gods of India: The Classic Work on Hindu Polytheism from the Princeton Bollingen Series

Since Jonathan Livingston Seagull - which dominated the #1 spot on the New York Times Bestseller List for two consecutive years - Richard Bach has touched millions of people through his humor, wisdom and insight.

With over 60 million copies of his books sold, Richard Bach remains one of the world's most beloved authors. A former USAF fighter pilot, Air Force captain and latter-day barnstorm
More about Richard Bach...

“And like no other sculpture in the history of art, the dead engine and dead airframe come to life at the touch of a human hand, and join their life with the pilot's own.” 9 likes
“Time means nothing.Time is just the way we measure the gaps between not knowing something and knowing it or not doing something and doing it.” 1 likes