Start by marking “Selected Poems Wc189” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Selected Poems Wc189

William Wordsworth

Selected Poems Wc189

In the Lyrical Ballads (1798 and 1800), Wordsworth forged a style and vocabulary to express the experiences of those previously ignored by poetry; and consequently renewed literature for the twentieth century. This volume also presents selections from The Prelude (1805), a stunning chronicle of the "growth of a poet's mind" and one of the last epics in English literature.
Published October 1st 1986 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published September 1st 1879)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems Wc189, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems Wc189

Victoria
Jul 28, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favourites
Brilliant. Words cannot express how much i adore William Wordsworth. My edition is this cute little 1963 reprint with a yellow cover that i acquired from a lovely old lady who was moving house. She used it when she was studying his works, so it's filled with her notes!
Asra Ghouse
Sep 16, 2013 Asra Ghouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads, poetry
William Wordsworth was greatly inspired by nature. No wonder his poems were the most beautiful of all times. He was a smart, shrewd kid. He learned quickly the importance and significance of early experiences. By his twenties he knew this truth and he developed his greatest works in the next ten years.
"As a poet, he was always at his best while struggling to become a whole person, to reconcile the sense of incoherence and disappointment forced upon him by time and circumstance with those intimat
Kate
Sep 30, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is proof that tastes change as you age: at university I was not a fan, but now William has the power to move me to tears!
I much prefer his earlier work, and I disagree that 'The Prelude' is his greatest work. It does what William wanted it to do - to keep him in people's minds as a great poet; and he is a great poet.
Todd Williams
Aug 03, 2011 Todd Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A couple of minor omissions I would’ve liked to see (Simon Lee, for example), but solid collection from one of the best poets ever. I especially like that this includes a healthy selection of The Prelude.
Alex Kartelias
After skimming through his poetry for 4 years, I've finally read it all the way through. His worship of nature I think should inspire anyone who feels a need to reconnect with God/Nature. The universe spoke through him and his words still vibrate today.
Michela
I love Wordsworth and I think Flavio Giacomantonio did an amazing translation.
Also in the book for each poem you ahave a small explanation to better understand the poet
Ricardo
Jan 02, 2015 Ricardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Em termos líricos, os poemas escolhidos para esta compilação da Penguin (em inglês, portanto) são de um nível superior à nota atribuida. Contudo, as temáticas de Wordsworth são centradas em assuntos que não me despertam muito interesse. Wordsworth olha para uma pomba ou uma faia e faz um poema acerca disso (opinião um pouco exagerada). Não são assuntos épicos, típicos da poesia anterior ao Romantismo, que começa aqui, mas também não são assuntos centrados na interpretação pessoal do mundo exteri ...more
Andrew Ives
I enjoyed this book rather less than I had hoped. While Wordsworth is undoubtedly a great writer, he has some peculiar choices for some of his poems' subject matter. I find it completely understandable to write about the splendour of nature, weather, countryside, animals, particular areas of outstanding geographical beauty and even certain people, but when he rambles on at length about individual flowers, rivers or craggy cliffs, I can't help but feeling he has the onset of some kind of poetic m ...more
Wayne
Two poetry books I have ever been tempted to buy are Wordswoth's "The Prelude" and Byron's "Don Juan".
BUT they are so damn BIG!!!!
An excerpt of a stanza...or two may strike you.
But when there is page after endless page in a volume as thick as a brick, well, you know what I mean, the gold nugget just gets swept along in the flow of either too many gold nuggets or so few that you overlook it.
Get my drift.
So...I am going to read my Signet edition from University days, the Selected Poetry and Prose
J. Alfred
Jun 10, 2013 J. Alfred rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two confessions related to the poems in this volume: 1. I get all trembley when I read "Tintern Abbey." I'm at a complete loss for how to quantify it, but I think it's one of the best poems in our language. 2. I absolutely understand the emotion of "Strange Fits of Passion I Have Known." Does anybody else get that weird, horrible feeling where you start wondering-- for little or no reason-- if a loved one has been hurt or killed? And you freak yourself out to no end until you hear from that pers ...more
Chrystal Phillips
Mar 16, 2016 Chrystal Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rekindled love for Romantic Era poetry through the words of William Wordsworth! This was definitely a small sampling of his works - I really loved several & there were a few of his epic length one that I found hard to keep up with the narrator. I listened to an audiobook version from my library & found it easier to comprehend more fully by googling a print copy to follow along with.
Either way, Wordsworth evokes emotional and sensory reaction and paints beautiful pictures of his travel
Zanib  Sajjad
Finally I've acquainted myself with the worthy Wordsworth; of that title he is most deserving. His rhymes are extremely elegant, and his particular talent at capturing nature is unique.

My favourite description of nature is where he describes a butterfly to be "self-poised upon a pretty little flower". I love this. The way he contrasts the elegant and confident pose of the butterfly on the delicate and ever breakable flower is so striking and true of human nature.

I would recommend Wordsworth for
Jaimie
Jul 31, 2011 Jaimie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy any of the Transcendental authors, I don't think you can help but like Wordsworth. He is a true artist of imagery. It's not necessarily that I love all nature poems -- I'm not a fan of Robert Frost, for example -- but Wordsworth intermingles spirituality and intellectualism in a beauteous way. This is a great collection of poetry for those who love nature for its sheer power to make you ponder the lovely and the profound.
Any Length
Jun 05, 2013 Any Length marked it as discarded  ·  review of another edition
I always wanted to read some Wordsworth because I somehow had the idea he was a good poet.
I got the audio book and listened.... for about 2 hours.
Maybe I am not currently in the right space for it, but I felt I was getting really bored and didn't enjoy some of the rhymes at all. After an interminably long and sad story about a sheep herder and his son I was starting to get depressed. That did it for me. Maybe another time.
Nigham
Nov 13, 2014 Nigham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars because it's William Wordsworth we are talking about. I just read random poems and reviews from the book.

"I saw Eternity the other night,
like a great ring of pure and endless light,
All calm as it was bright,
All round beneath it Time in hours, days, years,
Driven by the spheres,
Like a vast shadow moved ; in which the world,
And all her train were hurled."

Lief
Feb 01, 2011 Lief rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable Romantic poet, deals mostly with subjects that are more realistic and down-to-earth. The class I was in applied the lens of nostalgia/longing to the poems, and that proved to be very enjoyable, so I would recommend doing the same. I also recommend reading in conjunction with Samuel Taylor Coleridge and, to some degree, Keats.
Jen
I've always had trouble reading poetry. I've never really enjoyed it...I just don't "get" it.

Maybe it's because of English/Language Arts class all through school where we had to disect the meaning of every line or stanza.

Melissa  (lissaaniela)
Read this for uni and although I'm not one for poetry I did enjoy it. It's always good to broaden your horizons and I think Wordsworth is someone everyone should read even if you have claimed to have a poetry allergy to get out of it in the past like me.
Lucy Williams
I was a bit disappointed with this book as I have previously read a few Wordsworth poems but most of them were not in here. Also I felt a lot of his poems were really very long and I find I don't enjoy these types of poems very much.
Tina Dalton
I'm in love with Wordsworth's writing. I've never been one to like poetry, and now suddenly, I love it. All thanks to him.
Rashad Raoufi
a beautiful ode to nature, he cpatures it beautifully and therea sre some really deep commentary/obersvations about human nature and politics. a must read and every home should have a copy.
Joe
Dec 06, 2011 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Many of Wordsworth's poems reminded me of Robert Frost. Both in the topics and in the way that I only found a few that I personally enjoyed.
Charlie Mackenzie
Charlie Mackenzie rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2011
Beth Summerfield
Beth Summerfield rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Jennifer Choy
Jennifer Choy rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Tony C
Tony C rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
  • The Works of W.B. Yeats
  • Committed to Memory: 100 Best Poems to Memorize
  • In the Clearing
  • Selected Poems
William Wordsworth was a major English romantic poet who, with Samuel Taylor Coleridge, helped launch the Romantic Age in English literature with their 1798 joint publication, Lyrical Ballads.

Wordsworth's masterpiece is generally considered to be The Prelude, an autobiographical poem of his early years which the poet revised and expanded a number of times. The work was posthumously titled and publ
More about William Wordsworth...