Start by marking “The Girls from Planet Five” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Girls from Planet ...

Richard Wilson

The Girls from Planet Five

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Richard Wilson. The Girls From Planet 5. New York: Ballantine, [1955]. First edition, first printing. Twelvemo. 184 pages.
222 pages
Published November 1968 by Hale (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Girls from Planet Five, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girls from Planet Five

Bill FromPA
Wilson’s novel is set in 1999, when women run the US, except for Texas, where men remain men and the women either like it that way or have left the state. When visitors from Planet 5, System 7 arrive in Washington DC in the form of beautiful, scantily clad young women, it is only the men of Texas who are suspicious of their motives.

From the title and vintage of this novel, I was expecting a dated piece of sexism possibly enjoyable in a campy Cat Women of the Moon way, but the novel, while a li
Perry Whitford
After reading a couple of large, dense books lately I fancied a guilty pleasure, so what better than a silly sounding story from the naive days of 1950s sci-fi? As part of a large Science Fiction Book Club collection I have had this promising sounding title hanging around for some time, conjuring images of camp, day-glow drive-in trash from a more innocent age.

In the year 1999 gender roles have been reversed in America, with women assuming leadership roles in business and government and men tak
Sol  Gonzalez
Me decidí a meter este libro en el lector cuando leí las primeras líneas y me dí una idea del mismo.

Más que ciencia ficción lo relacioné rápidamente como un Pulp Fiction, éste del tipo en el que mezcla el feminismo de una forma casi cómica con un machismo inocentón.

La historia es bastante rara igualmente. Los primeros capítulos te dan un marco en donde la población de los Estados Unidos se ha convertido a un feminismo radical, en donde los jefes de estado todos son mujeres y los hombres han sido
Made in DNA
Mar 11, 2010 Made in DNA rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi lovers
Recommended to Made in by: an online site
Large spaceships from the Planet 5 have arrived on Earth. There are some who would welcome them, and others who are suspicious. America is split between a female-lead, pacifist Washington DC and a male-chauvinist, tobacco-chewing, crotch-scratching Free America (ie Texas). Each side thinks it's doing the right thing. Tempers flare and hijinx ensue when a journalist captures one of the super-strong beauties "manning" the ships.

An awesome classic sci-fi novel that will tickle the funny bone and gi
Charles
It's really a kind of humor/satire story. I read it when I was a kid, probably in hopes it would have sex in it. The cover had a scantily clad woman on it. But I don't actually remember anything about it much. I'll say it was OK but it obviously didn't make much of an impression on me.
Juliana Rew
I read this as a kid and laughed my head off all the way. It was the perfect primer for Vonnegut.
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Keith Stone
Keith Stone marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Alberto
Alberto marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Marlina
Marlina marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Spino
Spino marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Cecilia Perez
Cecilia Perez marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Joel Manuel
Joel Manuel marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Mario D'Amore
Mario D'Amore marked it as to-read
May 15, 2013
D.L. Thurston
D.L. Thurston marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2012
vicki_girl
vicki_girl marked it as to-read
May 06, 2012
Eric Moss
Eric Moss marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2011
Excerpeted from Wikipedia:

Richard Wilson (1920–1987) was a Nebula Award winning American science fiction writer and fan. He was a member of the Futurians, and was married at one time to Leslie Perri.

His books included the novels The Girls from Planet 5 (1955); 30-Day Wonder (1960); and And Then the Town Took Off (1960); and the collections Those Idiots from Earth (1957) and Time Out for Tomorrow (
More about Richard Wilson...
And Then the Town Took Off Inside the Divide: One City, Two Teams - The Old Firm Maya Resurgence in Guatemala: Qʼeqchiʼ Experiences The Lighthouses of Trinity House Scotland's Unsolved Mysteries of the Twentieth Century