Start by marking “The Ghost of Dibble Hollow” as Want to Read:
The Ghost of Dibble Hollow

The Ghost of Dibble Hollow

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Out of the graveyard comes a ghost--the ghost of ten-year-old Miles Dibble. "I've been waiting a long time for you to come to Dibble Hollow, Cousin," he tells Pug. "Now you must help me find that lost money."
From that moment on the ghostly Miles leads Pug from one spooky adventure to another.
All the while he follows the clues to the weirdest treasure hunt with the ghost of
Paperback, Fifth Printing, 155 pages
Published 1968 by Scholastic (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost of Dibble Hollow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost of Dibble Hollow

Jim
Old Review, 2007: 4 stars. I read this years ago, losing it when we moved when I was 8, but it was one of my favorites & I remember it pretty well. I want to re-read it but even a used copy is $20 on Amazon. Maybe someday!

Review, Feb2012: I managed to get a copy through BookMooch last year, but never got around to reading it until today. Wow! I gave it an extra star because it is fantastic for a kids book. Sure, it's simplistic, but it has a lot to it. There's a mystery, a ghost, & some
Joy Jernigan
Apr 08, 2011 Joy Jernigan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-as-a-kid
I bought and read this book in elementary school and couldnt put it down.
I have re-read it several times over the years until it actually fell apart. It was probably my favorite ghost story as a child.
When I had kids of my own, I named my first son Miles and explained to him where i got his name from when he was about 8 years old.
Of course he wanted to hear all about the ghost of Miles Dibble so I set out in search of buying a copy of the book.
I had no luck. This was back in the early nineties w
Cheri Dickey-whitish
May 27, 2009 Cheri Dickey-whitish rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorite books from childhood that I couldn't forget. This story was an inspiration for my lifelong passion of researching old newspapers and talking to people to put together the pieces of true stories from the past. I just read excerpts from this book to a fifth grade class and they really enjoyed it. Too bad it's out of print.
Margretchin (Author)
Miles Dibble, the Ghost of Dibble Hollow. Lost gold. Can they find the money before the bank forcloses on the house? Foul play. Lot's of adventure here.
Noelle
Apr 26, 2013 Noelle rated it it was amazing
Although most books nowadays with paranormal/supernatural elements these days are sort of X-rated for me, (*cough* Twilight:), 'The Ghost of Dibble Hollow' was printed in the fifties and is not weird in any way. It is a story that keeps you guessing, (the first time you read it anyway. I've read it at least nine times!), and also makes you laugh out loud, even when it comes to the serious parts. I wish everybody could read it, but due to its old age, it's probly not in print anymore...:(
Ryan
Oct 08, 2012 Ryan rated it it was amazing
I read, and re-read, and then re-read this story in the fourth grade. I liked it so much, I wrote my own story (tightly based on the book) called "The Ghost of McKinley Manor". It inspired adventure and mystery with every page! I use some elements from the story in my current writing without even realizing it! So great!
Carmela
Sep 01, 2009 Carmela rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was 8 years old(1977)in my school library.Then I looked for it again for 30 years.Finally found it on e-bay and wanted it so bad,I paid 30 bucks for it.A dollar a year I guess and worth 10 times that to me.
Suzanna Juby
Apr 03, 2016 Suzanna Juby rated it it was amazing
This historical fiction ghost story has been out of print for a while, but it's one of my all-time favorites. It scared the !@#$% out of me back in elementary school. I highly recommend it! You can obtain it online, or check your local used bookstores. You might get lucky!
Feb 21, 2011 Laura added it
The Ghost of Dibble Hollow is my ALL TIME favorite book. It's the only book that I remember from my childhood. My son is reading my copy now. He's about 1/2 through & the pages are falling out. As we put some back in order, we realized that 2 pages are missing! We're missing 145/146 & the last page 155. Is there any chance someone can send photo(s) of the pages? I can make you a friend so you'll have my e-mail if you can do this for me. My son had to read a mystery for his book report th ...more
Josh
Oct 02, 2015 Josh rated it it was amazing
Again, a favorite from childhood.

What I learned from this book:
Conflicts can come from misunderstanding, and lead to long, bitter division - unnecessarily long, unnecessarily bitter.
Jill
Nov 05, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
I read this book in 5th grade and loved it!! Thirty years later something reminded me of the storyline and I realized that I had no memory of the books' title. I started searching garage sales and thrift shops hoping to come across it, but to no avail. I then searched the Scholastic archives hoping that if I came across the title it would jog my memory. I had about given up hope of ever rediscovering this wonderful book, when suddenly, there it was at the bottom of a pile of old paperbacks in a ...more
Loretta Fechner
Jul 20, 2014 Loretta Fechner rated it it was amazing
I read this book at my cousin's house when I was about 10. Loved it! Just bought it on amazon because I want to reread it. It certainly left an impression- for 50 years!
Kevin Zwiefelhofer
Dec 14, 2014 Kevin Zwiefelhofer rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I really like this book. I read this in middle school and now just again to my 7 year old Daughter. It is fun and has a good plot.
Sara
Apr 24, 2015 Sara rated it liked it
I read this as a kid, but unfortunately I can't remember anything about it other than the cover.
Gary Noel
Apr 15, 2015 Gary Noel rated it it was amazing
This is one of the first books I remember reading as a kid. It was a great story.
Cecil
Jul 26, 2014 Cecil rated it really liked it
I read this as a pre-teen. It seems I enjoyed it back then.
Samantha
Aug 10, 2016 Samantha rated it liked it
read as a child. no memory of it.
Gayle Hill
Apr 18, 2015 Gayle Hill rated it it was amazing
Read this as a kid and loved it.
Matthew Moes
Aug 09, 2015 Matthew Moes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I haven't read this since I was a kid, BUT it popped in my head (random thoughts) so I looked it up and happily found it, same cover and all. When I first got this book it was used, and I think from my mom's or her sister's collection. Anyway, it was a childhood favorite, I remember reading it several times. As a kid I loved the idea of having a friendly ghost friend to have adventures with. I don't know where the book is now, but it was cool to see the other favorable reviews on Goodreads.
Shonda
Oct 23, 2009 Shonda rated it really liked it
Some children's novels are too good to be just a children's novel. I loved this book the first time I read it, and the second time, and the third time, etc. I no longer have a copy, but I have a good memory about it. This book taught me the importance of keeping your word and to keep going even when you think it's better that you give up. It also taught me to be proud of my ancesters because if they had not struggled, I wouldn't be here.
Tom
Aug 31, 2009 Tom rated it really liked it
A really fun book for children of about age 10. I read it aloud to my niece a few years ago and we both enjoyed it. It's about a family that moves to their old family home. The boy in the family is contacted by the ghost of one of his anscestors. Out of print, but usually available at abebooks.com etc.
Leah
Aug 28, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it
I got this book from a used books sale when I was probably 9 or 10, and it was beaten up and well-loved by the time it reached me. It had just the right mixture of adventure and suspense, and made me wish that I, too, could have a ghost friend. I need to find a copy of it somewhere to share with my kids.
Meghan
Aug 03, 2012 Meghan rated it liked it
Shelves: children
This book was recommend to me by my favorite 3rd grader (John Lehmkuhl). He even let me borrow his copy since it is out of print. It has amazing, old school vocabulary. I doubt that the kids I teach would get most of it, but I enjoyed reading it.
Jessica Fure
Apr 06, 2009 Jessica Fure rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I have no idea why this book came to mind, but it did. I remember the plot just well enough not to spoil it, and enough to remember how much I enjoyed it, even though at ten, I knew it wasn't terribly complex.
Chaz Young
May 18, 2011 Chaz Young rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was a kid! I belonged to the Arrow Book Club at school, and we would buy books like this for .50 or so. I looked on Amazon and now the same book (used) is around $30.
Patricia
Feb 05, 2013 Patricia rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite books when I was around eight years old. I could not remember the title just that there was a ghost named miles. My son found it for me. I want to re read it :)
T.
Jul 05, 2008 T. rated it it was amazing
My oldest brother won a copy of this book, and it quickly became one of my childhood favorites. Thank heavens for ebay, because somewhere along the way it got lost.
Tricia Shiu
Feb 18, 2012 Tricia Shiu rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful! It kept me turning the pages until the very end! I really enjoyed the mystical encounters with the ghost and the very real mystery.
Carol Storm
Apr 11, 2011 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing
Imagine Tom Sawyer as a ghost -- the madness, mischief and melancholy of an American odyssey into the unknown.

Kami
Apr 23, 2008 Kami rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was a kid. I think I read it in first grade. So fun! I wish it would come back in print.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
What's The Name o...: grade school ghost child mystery [s] 19 87 Jun 30, 2013 02:17PM
  • Fire in the Sea
  • Son of the Whirlwind
  • The Grey Mane of Morning
  • Textermination
  • Soho Black
  • The Egg Said Nothing
  • Hans Brinker Silver Skates (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Adventures of the Christmas Pudding / The Mystery of the Spanish Chest
  • Waking Raphael
  • Key to the Treasure
  • Mr. Pudgins
  • Raphael (Damiano, #3)
  • The Worlds of Frank Herbert
  • Dangerous Admissions: Secrets of a Closet Sleuth (Closet Sleuth #1)
  • The Infidelity Pact
  • Shadow Castle
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest
  • Secret of the Tiger's Eye