Blame!, Vol. 1

Blame!, Vol. 1 (Blame! Ultimate Deluxe Collection #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,422 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In a future world rife with decay and destruction, Killy is a man of few words who packs one very powerful gun. He wanders an endless labyrinth of cyberdungeons filled with concrete and steel, fighting off cyborgs and other bizarre silicate creatures. Everyone is searching for the Net Terminal Genes, but no one is quite certain what kind of power they contain. The answer m...more
Published August 31st 2005 by TokyoPop (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Blame!, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blame!, Vol. 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
203rd out of 863 books — 2,465 voters
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu Arakawa20th Century Boys, Band 1 by Naoki UrasawaBerserk, Vol. 01 by Kentaro MiuraEden by Hiroki EndoBlame!, Vol. 1 by Tsutomu Nihei
Manga as Voted by Manga Elitist
5th out of 76 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Strangerealms
This dark, gritty, alienating, violent cyberpunk manga is really good. The artist Nihei is really gifted to draw buildings and he creates an empty world left with never ending growing buildings, metallic structures, and deadly creatures out to get you. The structures and the Safeguards who were once protecting the population, are now out of control and kill everyone on sight, due to a virus the population was exposed to. Killy is set to find a person whose genes (Net Terminal Genes) are uncorrup...more
Josh
This review stands for the entire series. In short, the art is beatifully complex and the story is immensely bleak but there is quite a bit to enjoy here. If you like dystopian stories then this might be one to check out. The main character is pretty much a blank slate and the "plot" is relegated to a videogame-like search for an item but the world-building is awe-inspiring and the art reinforces the tone Nihei works to create. I sometimes found the action a tad hard to follow due to the absurdl...more
Eadweard
I'm not much of a manga person but Blame! was very enjoyable, loved his style, the massive structures, the designs for the androids/creatures, etc. There's not much dialogue but it fits well with the atmosphere and style.

A journey through dark, cavernous superstructures, encounters with human dwellers, machines and murderous transhuman cyborgs.
YuriAndrogynopov
Minimalism and architecture fused into a very very slow very very intriguing read. Another cyberpunk tale that delights in destroying your ability to geographically place things by waiting to give you a place, country, planet, galaxy or time period to place it in and orient yourself leaving you to stare at the vistas and wonder just whats going on.

Uses its setting to the fullest with all high technology being very interesting and fairly unique even the weapons involved which is a pretty good fee...more
Federiken Masters
Lo que Dark City fue a Matrix, Blame! lo es a Gantz.
Bookwatcher
Dec 15, 2011 Bookwatcher rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Lola
472 pagine di pura adrenalina!!!

Killy cerca disperatamente un umano senza una sconosciuta mutazione, in una realtà sconosciuta, con strani robot umanoidi che cercano a tutti costi di ucciderlo. Munito da una arma di stranissimi potenti raggi, e con l'aiuto di sconosciuti alleati Killy lotta. Lui è un guerriero... e...

Aspetta un attimo ma che caspita ho detto per ora?

beh, scusate ma non è possibile scrivere una recensione sul questo manga che abbia senso... perché questo è il bello della storia!...more
Harold Smithson (Suicide punishable by Death)
It'll appeal to some people, just not me.

Blame! is an oddity to me. Blame! is very slow and atmospheric, so much so that some chapters pass by with a few lines of dialogue. This would seem to be a manga that establishes itself as a cold wander through a bleak future world. What it doesn't mention is that when Blame! wants to be loud, Blame! is very loud. (Hence the exclamation mark, I presume) The main character, Killy, packs this thing called... Well, whatever, it goes BOOM! That's kind of the...more
gk
Jul 03, 2007 gk rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to try something different
This is a ten-volume techo-futuristic manga. It reminds me a bit of video games, because it has a relatively simple quest structure, with the protagonist Killy going through several levels to try and find a human with net terminal genes who might be able to save his world, meeting and killing countless Silicon-entities and others who stand in his way. What sets it apart for me, though, is how intricate this world is (a mix of cyberpunk and VR and a decaying anarchism that I found utterly intrigu...more
Antonis Lamnatos
Antonis Lamnatos Megalithic landscapes alternating with claustrophobic bio-mechanic corridors, visually (functionally?) reminiscent of Piranesi's Prisons. Overall excellent visuals, sometimes clean and austere, sometimes schizophrenic and chaotic. The story is a bit confusing, but overall the pictures won me over throughout the series.
Pascal
by Tsutomu Nihei

A stunning science fiction serie, made by on of the most famos japanese Manga Painter.
His Background is that he is a architect and he shows his amazing fantasies in builds.
"The very Impressive Artbook (BLAME! and so on) showes some of his famous arcitect drawings".

The story starts in the prequel named "NOISE" where a police officer hunts a clan of crazy scientists.
They plan to evoke the chaos inside the materia it self, what means that they want to unite materia with flesh.

the p...more
Scott
There's not much dialogue in this dystopian world of endless corridors and spires into space. I've read it takes a couple reads to truly understand what is going on, but I don't find it interesting enough to do so. Although, I may check out the next volume. The landscapes are pretty fascinating in their bleak agoraphobic-inducing spaciousness. The basic plot is that a boy named Killy is looking for his macguffin, a "terminal net gene." Whatever. He also has a gun that literally blows walls apart...more
Sianeka
If you like Ergo Proxy and Battle Angel Alita, Blame! may be a good series for you to investigate.

This first volume of Blame! presents a bleak and grim vision of the future. The world, as seen through manga-ka Tsutomu Nihei's detailed graphics, is dark, metallic and moody. The world is full of violence - hardly two pages can go by without someone/something getting injured or destroyed. This is mostly an atmospheric piece, the story pushed to the background so much as to be nearly non-existent. T...more
Ivon
Seandainya seri ini punya lebih banyak penjelasan, manga ini layak mendapatkan empat, bahkan lima bintang. Manga ini punya potensi untuk jadi sangat luar biasa, tapi .. yah, mungkin kesempatan itu bukan direalisasikan oleh manga ini.
Joao
Blame! fait partie de ces Ovnis qui nous laissent un filet de "WTF" collé sur la bave. Ou un truc du genre. Ça fait aussi partie de ces mangas où la moyenne de texte est de 1 bulle par double-page. Mais attention, ce n'est pas pour autant que Blame! n'a rien à nous dire.

Lâché dans un cyber donjon, Kilik a pour mission d'arriver "à la surface". Quelle surface? Qu'y a-t-il au pied de ce donjon qui semble sans limites? Et quelle est cette "Terre" dont on parle dans ces livres poussiéreux perdus da...more
Blaine
Best manga I've read. No crappy Highschool angst, just visceral cyberpunk art and violence set against giant industrial architecture that doesn't end.

Looking for a mature, no-holds-barred, Sci-fi manga? This is your best pick!
Bonnasama
I picked this up at a little store in a mall that sells used video games, movies and manga. It was alright I guess. to me, I just couldn't get into it.
Geta Rasciuc
i really missed words. :D I guess I'm not yet a manga type of person! But who knows, maybe someday...
Baal Of
This is a weird, atmospheric manga with very little dialog. The main character has a stupid name, Killy, and speaks very little. He wanders a bleak, dystopian world that seems to be a huge construct with no identity, no world, and no specific time. The artwork is beautiful, and perfect for creating a disorienting setting. It can be difficult to figure out what is actually happening, especially in the action scenes, but I find the weirdness of it all to be compelling.
Khrystina
However much I tried, I couldn't figure out the plot. It was divided into chapters with a whole new set of characters entered. Then they all ended up dead and we move on to the next setting. There was a dog in one but I have no idea what happened to it. I am having mixed feelings. The only good thing was the goar and that's saying something.

ARG, THIS IS SO CONFUSING!!!!!!
Petr
May 07, 2009 Petr rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
There is not much to read. You either catch to the magnitude of grand scale or get bored and throw in away. There is almost no plot (only a tons of debris to speculate about it), there is no points or anything sensible here...

...but it is the best description of Megastructure in our times (just a little bit irony here, couldn't resist, sorry).
Rob
How to answer the question 'what did you think' ?

I'm not really sure what to think. Blame was a new 'reading' experience for me. Very little text. A story mostly told through story boards. A book read from back to front, left to right. Cyberpunk manga. I'll digest this book for a day or two before a re-read this weekend.
Klytia
Claustrofobico, inquietante, violento, oscuro.
Storia, un po' oscura, con influenze cyberpunk; labirintiche ambientazioni sotterranee post-apocalittiche; personaggi deformi e mostruosi: in una parola geniale.
Uno dei manga visivamente più coinvolgente e disturbante che abbia mai letto. Non potevo non adorarlo.
Morrosseth
Interesting book. I definitely like the style of minimal dialogue. It's a nice change from other graphic novels that have word bubbles crammed everywhere on the page. The art is also very unique and refreshing. The story hasn't captured my attention so far, but I'll give volume two and three a try.
Nicolas
Awesome art! Weird plot (lots of no dialog pages).
As a read somewhere you better get the first, second and third volume (if it's not a lot of $) to really get what the #*!'k is going on in the manga. If you make it to the third volume you're allready in love so go on and buy the rest.
Viktor Davion
Nice Japan cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic. A bit mysterious and there are a lot of weird things. But it has cool mood I think: suspenseful, bleak and technocratic. Must read for manga and post-apocalyptic fans.
Kyle B.
Epic cybergoth mythology. A ragged hero journeys through a bleak world that no longer needs or wants heroes... on an endless quest to find some sort of genetic holy grail that may no longer exist.
Wayne
I love this whole series. it is done in the manner of the Heavy Magazine in the '80s. It takes a bit of getting use to, the book is Manga style so it runs right to left.
David Balfour
A little difficult to follow visually but a totally unique masterpiece nevertheless. Utterly amazing series. The setting is perhaps the coolest I've ever seen.
Gabriel Strange
Couldn't keep up with the action scenes and I gave up halfway through the volume collections because I didn't find one semblance of a plot.
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 1 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #1)
  • MPD Psycho, Volume 1
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 01: Rusty Angel
  • Dragon Head, Volume 1
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 1: Blood of a Thousand
  • Appleseed: The Promethean Balance (Appleseed, #4)
  • Parasyte, Volume 1
  • Planetes, Book 1 (Planetes, #1)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion, Vol. 11
  • Vagabond, Volume 1
  • King of Thorn 1 (King of Thorn, #1)
  • Berserk, Vol. 01
See also 弐瓶 勉.

Tsutomu Nihei (弐瓶 勉 Nihei Tsutomu, born 1971) is a Japanese manga artist. His cyberpunk-influenced artwork has gained a strong cult following. He has a relatively large community of fans in Germany where his manga Blame!, NOiSE and Biomega were published by Ehapa. Blame! was also published in France and Spain by Glénat, in the US by Tokyopop and in Italy by Panini Comics.

At first he...more
More about Tsutomu Nihei...
BIOMEGA バイオメガ 1 (Biomega Vol. 1) Blame!, Vol. 2 Blame!, Vol. 3 Blame!, Vol. 6 Blame!, Vol. 5