Start by marking “Steps of the Sun” as Want to Read:
Steps of the Sun

Steps of the Sun

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Published April 1st 1990 by Collier Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Steps of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steps of the Sun

Ademption
I'M A BILLIONAIRE SPACE PIRATE WHOSE PENIS DOESN'T WORK. THIS MAKES ME FURIOUSLY SUCCESSFUL AT EVERYTHING ELSE. HAVE I TALKED ABOUT MY IMPOTENCE YET? WEINERS MONEY WEINERS MONEY INTERGALACTIC SPACE TRAVEL WEINERS MONEY. AND WEINERS. ALSO CHINA. WEIN--MONEY?

But seriously, this book is its own reason for being OOP.
John Cheshire
I really enjoy Walter Tevis' prose style, particularly in The Hustler, The Queen's Gambit: A Novel and Mockingbird. Having heard Walter discuss the sci-fi genre in an audio interview with Don Swain, I know that Walter enjoyed the sociological rather than technical aspects of sci-fi. I therefore did not expect Steps of the Sun to be a high tech space story but felt it fell well short of Mockingbird.
I found myself tiring a little from the main character's flashbacks only to find flashbacks within
Mary
I have enjoyed Tevis's books and this one has an interesting premise -- that the earth has run out of energy and his protagonist is going to another planet to look for uranium. Pretty prophetic for a 1988 sci-fi book! However, the plot gets bogged down with side intrigues and the book turns into what I like to call "horny old guy science fiction". Overall, just okay.
Colleen
It's 2063 and nuclear powered spaceships can warp to land on planets of distant suns of our galaxy. But space travel has been forbidden - there is an energy crisis on earth. Oil is almost gone, and coal is so scarce, it's rationed, and earth is in the grip of an ice age. Nuclear powered electricity isn't popular because of accidents. But the coal tycoon, Benjamin Belson, has flown to another sun's planet anyway. He's seeking 'safe uranium'. And he's running away from himself. He's finally realiz ...more
retroj
Count me as a Walter Tevis fan now. I enjoyed The Steps of the Sun quite a bit. I read The Man Who Fell to Earth about fifteen years ago, but didn't know anything about Walter Tevis or his other books until recently, when these things started coming to my attention on Goodreads. I'd like to read Mockingbird. The Steps of the Sun showed up in the used section of the bookshop I frequent first though, and some quirkiness about the cover art, the synopsis, or the by-line ("Can one man save a PLANET? ...more
Ben Loory
the stuff in space is great; once it gets back to earth it seems to get a little lost.
Chadwick
There are a handful of books that I run to when I need solace. When I need someone who is better with words than I am to help me figure out what I am feeling. This book is one of those.

Walter Tevis will probably be forgotten in time. There were a hell of a lot of great books written in the 20th century. If anything of his is remembered, it will be The Hustler. He was never a revolutionary writer, never really broke any boundaries. And yet his work has an emotional resonance, an honesty that ap
Otis Campbell
I'm still believing
Our day is going to come
When we step out of the shadows and into the sun
Joseph
Not top-level Tevis, with too much noodling about.
Mitzi
1.5 stars. It never got better than a barely ok read. I really, really disliked the main character. Don't waste your time.
Mysteryfan
He wrote The Hustler and the Man Who Fell to Earth. Set in the near future, the book is ostensibly about an interstellar search for safe nuclear energy. It's more about analyzing drives and ambitions and sublimation. It's not about technology at all - it almost ignores the milieu in favor of the character's inner journey.
Jon Butterfield
Such a great build up. Full of Tevis level Angst. Dissolved into absolute drivel that provides no satisfactory resolution, but perverse nonsense.
Marcus Speh
Marcus Speh is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Peretdesnos
Peretdesnos marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Jay
Jay added it
Sep 19, 2014
Jen O'Brien
Jen O'Brien marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
teresa
teresa is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
Allen Casper
Allen Casper marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Reg
Reg added it
May 14, 2014
Steve Cooper
Steve Cooper marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Walter Stone Tevis was an American novelist and short story writer. Three of his six novels were adapted into major films: The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth. His books have been translated into at least 18 languages.
More about Walter Tevis...
Mockingbird The Man Who Fell to Earth The Queen's Gambit The Hustler The Color of Money