Start by marking “Steps of the Sun” as Want to Read:
Steps of the Sun

Steps of the Sun

Published April 1st 1990 by Collier Books (first published April 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Steps of the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steps of the Sun

Ademption
I'M A BILLIONAIRE SPACE PIRATE WHOSE PENIS DOESN'T WORK. THIS MAKES ME FURIOUSLY SUCCESSFUL AT EVERYTHING ELSE. HAVE I TALKED ABOUT MY IMPOTENCE YET? WEINERS MONEY WEINERS MONEY INTERGALACTIC SPACE TRAVEL WEINERS MONEY. AND WEINERS. ALSO CHINA. WEIN--MONEY?

But seriously, this book is its own reason for being OOP.
John Cheshire
Jan 27, 2012 John Cheshire rated it liked it
I really enjoy Walter Tevis' prose style, particularly in The Hustler, The Queen's Gambit: A Novel and Mockingbird. Having heard Walter discuss the sci-fi genre in an audio interview with Don Swain, I know that Walter enjoyed the sociological rather than technical aspects of sci-fi. I therefore did not expect Steps of the Sun to be a high tech space story but felt it fell well short of Mockingbird.
I found myself tiring a little from the main character's flashbacks only to find flashbacks within
Deborah Sheldon
Apr 17, 2017 Deborah Sheldon rated it liked it
My least favourite Tevis novel so far. Despite being written in first person POV, the story somehow kept me at arm's length. I found it difficult to care about any character or event. 2.5 stars.
Mary
Sep 01, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok
I have enjoyed Tevis's books and this one has an interesting premise -- that the earth has run out of energy and his protagonist is going to another planet to look for uranium. Pretty prophetic for a 1988 sci-fi book! However, the plot gets bogged down with side intrigues and the book turns into what I like to call "horny old guy science fiction". Overall, just okay.
Ben Loory
the stuff in space is great; once it gets back to earth it seems to get a little lost.
Jerry
Mar 17, 2016 Jerry rated it liked it
A lost, whiny, self-hating socialist billionaire who can’t understand why, the more the government runs the economy the more the economy falls apart, is not the most likable of first-person narrators.

The world is in an ice age, and cannot afford to heat itself, because the world is running out of energy. And because the world is running out of energy, the governments forbid anyone to look for more. Further, they have price controls on energy to keep it from becoming too expensive—with the obviou
retroj
Dec 26, 2013 retroj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Count me as a Walter Tevis fan now. I enjoyed The Steps of the Sun quite a bit. I read The Man Who Fell to Earth about fifteen years ago, but didn't know anything about Walter Tevis or his other books until recently, when these things started coming to my attention on Goodreads. I'd like to read Mockingbird. The Steps of the Sun showed up in the used section of the bookshop I frequent first though, and some quirkiness about the cover art, the synopsis, or the by-line ("Can one man save a PLANET? ...more
Chadwick
Jul 06, 2007 Chadwick rated it it was amazing
There are a handful of books that I run to when I need solace. When I need someone who is better with words than I am to help me figure out what I am feeling. This book is one of those.

Walter Tevis will probably be forgotten in time. There were a hell of a lot of great books written in the 20th century. If anything of his is remembered, it will be The Hustler. He was never a revolutionary writer, never really broke any boundaries. And yet his work has an emotional resonance, an honesty that ap
Colleen
Mar 31, 2014 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
It's 2063 and nuclear powered spaceships can warp to land on planets of distant suns of our galaxy. But space travel has been forbidden - there is an energy crisis on earth. Oil is almost gone, and coal is so scarce, it's rationed, and earth is in the grip of an ice age. Nuclear powered electricity isn't popular because of accidents. But the coal tycoon, Benjamin Belson, has flown to another sun's planet anyway. He's seeking 'safe uranium'. And he's running away from himself. He's finally realiz ...more
Aaron
Jan 27, 2015 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Tevis’ most divisive work, and I can understand why (pervasive contemplation of erections and the psychic impact of their failure might contribute to that), but I found it exhilarating and honest. It is honest in the way an author bares his feelings, fears, and hopes through his characters (even if their experiences aren’t autobiographical, the emotions are consistent). Tevis does this in each of his books, but here he is at his most daring and possibly alienating, while telling his most ...more
Elaine
Sep 19, 2015 Elaine rated it liked it
It is, as has been written, an easy and flowing read. However, I stopped about 2/3 of the way through because I got tired of the references to sexual impotence and the consequences. The adventure story of space travel in a future dystopia is enjoyable and compelling. I wish I could have got through it.
Mysteryfan
Mar 04, 2013 Mysteryfan rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
He wrote The Hustler and the Man Who Fell to Earth. Set in the near future, the book is ostensibly about an interstellar search for safe nuclear energy. It's more about analyzing drives and ambitions and sublimation. It's not about technology at all - it almost ignores the milieu in favor of the character's inner journey.
Dave Butler
Oct 06, 2015 Dave Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the final novel in my tevis full read campaign, just the book of short stories left - not as good as the other novels - the main character is often annoying - many of tevis themes recur here as well as plot settings - the importance of new york and the empire state building for example. i enjoyed the extra planetary adventures quite a bit and tevis writing is often moving and beautiful.
Rose Anderson
A mid-life crisis for a tycoon, the planet & the world economy set in the near future.
David Agranoff
Old-school bizarro Sci-fi from the Author of the Hustler and the Color of Money. I wanted to like it more than I actually did. Still cool moments. Full Review coming.
Jon Butterfield
Jun 24, 2012 Jon Butterfield rated it it was ok
Such a great build up. Full of Tevis level Angst. Dissolved into absolute drivel that provides no satisfactory resolution, but perverse nonsense.
Jim
Oct 11, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
I really liked it. Much better than a lot of the recent SF.
Barbara
Jan 24, 2016 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess I am a fan. This is the 5th book of Tevis that I have read.
Joseph
Aug 15, 2014 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not top-level Tevis, with too much noodling about.
Mitzi
Oct 30, 2014 Mitzi rated it it was ok
1.5 stars. It never got better than a barely ok read. I really, really disliked the main character. Don't waste your time.
Stephen Curran
One of the richest men alive becomes a space pirate in an attempt to solve the world's energy crisis, and talks about his wang an awful lot in the process.
Josh Luger
Josh Luger rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2012
Davidaldrinslade
Davidaldrinslade rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2009
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2012
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Joe Taleroski
Joe Taleroski rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2010
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2008
Gretta
Gretta rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Heads (Queen of Angels, #2)
  • One Continuous Mistake: Four Noble Truths for Writers
  • Fuzzy Bones
  • The Time Hoppers
  • Marune: Alastor 933
  • Frost & Fire
  • Lint
  • Caldé of the Long Sun (The Book of the Long Sun #3)
  • Psychoshop
  • Child of Thunder (Renshai Trilogy, #3)
  • Raising the Stones (Arbai, #2)
  • Up the Walls of the World
  • Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen (Paratime Police)
  • Regenesis (Cyteen, #4)
  • The Sword and the Lion
  • Masters Of Space
  • Divine Endurance (The Last Days of Ranaganar, #1)
  • The Hunters' Haunt (Omar, #2)
Walter Stone Tevis was an American novelist and short story writer. Three of his six novels were adapted into major films: The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth. His books have been translated into at least 18 languages.
More about Walter Tevis...