Start by marking “Das blaue Zimmer.” as Want to Read:
Das blaue Zimmer.

Das blaue Zimmer.

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,391 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Die Erzählungen aus Rosamunde Pilchers Band Das blaue Zimmer handeln wieder einmal von den großen Ereignissen im alltäglichen Leben der kleinen Leute. Da gibt es die Hochzeit der Kinder zu feiern, den Tod des Großvaters zu beklagen, die schwere Geburt eines Lammes zu begleiten oder ein Baby entschließt sich an Weihnachten auf die Welt zu kommen.

In der ersten Erzählung, "

Taschenbuch, 331 pages
Published January 31st 1996 by Rowohlt Tb. (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Das blaue Zimmer., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das blaue Zimmer.

Feb 25, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a, short-stories
I don't generally like short stories all that much, but I love Rosamunde Pilcher's writing. This book is full of nice happy-ending tales which I listened to as bedtime stories. It worked beautifully and sent me happily off to sleep.
Apr 20, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rosamunde Pilcher's stories are so lovely! She writes about strong women characters facing everyday problems in Scotland or Cornwall, England. My favorite story in this collection is called "Miss Cameron at Christmas." The heroine, Miss Cameron, is an aging Scottish lady, who after taking care of her elderly parents for most of her life, is left enough money in her father's will to buy her own little home in a village outside Edinburgh. She befriends her neighbors and comes to their aid one Chri ...more
Brit McCarthy
Not everyone can write short stories well. It takes a different kind of skill, I think. You haven’t got a couple of hundred pages to write an epic story and develop brilliant characters. You only have maybe twenty pages to tell a story and introduce characters in a way that leaves an impression, then you have to leave those characters behind for a new story. It takes a different sort of reader, too, to appreciate the brilliance of the stories.

I haven’t read a lot of short stories, some Alice Mun
R.L.
Aug 11, 2014 R.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-ever
I love all things written by Rosamunde Pilcher. Her simplicity of description and her beautiful way with words is astounding. Her stories flow effortlessly across my imagination, bringing to life her characters and making me fall in love with them every time. This particular book is full of priceless gems. I never read any book more than once but I've read The Blue Room from cover to cover many times. I still cry or laugh in all the right places. A must read for anyone who, like me, thinks of En ...more
Debbie Robson
Dec 25, 2013 Debbie Robson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is my bookcrossing review from 2004:
"I remember these as delightful stories. Deftly written too with the way each character's life is quickly sketched and captured by small but insightful details."
Re-reading the collection more than ten years later my opinion hasn't changed. I released the book at the Embassy Cafe in Newcastle in November 2004. I wonder who picked the book up?
DubaiReader
Feb 21, 2015 DubaiReader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2015
Short stories.

Rosamunde Pilcher certainly has a way with words and I started this book enthusiastically, thoroughly enjoying the title story. The next few were also good, but then I started to feel that the subjects were becoming too repetitive: three stories were about panic births, for instance. I realised that the book had lost my interest and I'm going against the grain here, to only give 3 stars.

One story, in particular seemed a bit unlikely - a ten-year-old boy, recovering from an appendec
Mom Coulongue
Jun 16, 2010 Mom Coulongue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing to have a good book without sex, murder, child abuse, or political corruption...
Wonderful for a peaceful sleep, Val.
Will save it for you
Sheryl
Oct 25, 2010 Sheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just picking up this book makes me smile. A collection of short stories that cover a full range of emotions. Great for a day on the beach.
Apr 17, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short stories, all with happy endings, reminded me of a book which had been my mother’s when she was a child and which I read as a child and enjoyed as well. Its subtitle was something about children whose tears were turned to smiles. In her way, Pilcher does the same thing, but her people are so real and her settings so well described that the book doesn’t come across as too sweet or sentimental. I had read this years ago and now I want to go back and re-read more of Pilcher’s books. I p ...more
Barrie
Mar 10, 2009 Barrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wonderfully written emotional stories, small subjects, long memories.
Melissa
Nov 17, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-reads
I did it. I DID IT!! I finally finished this book! It took me almost a month and a half, but I read it. And now I'm not sure what to think.

This collection of short stories is all about birth, death and marriage. I can only think of 2 that weren't... the first and the last. Overall, this book just didn't strike a chord with me. There were a couple that caught my interest and I found myself wanting more, but, of course, they're short stories. They don't give you more. And the other stories weren'
Mrs.
Oct 23, 2007 Mrs. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantics
MSJA Book Club selection, October 2007. I love Rosamunde Pilcher. Her stories and novels are so lovely! She writes about strong women characters facing everyday problems in Scotland or Cornwall, England. I would love to live in one of her country villages. She writes about themes that touch everyone. Many of her plots revolve around family relationships, new babies or the death of a loved one. My favorite story in this collection is called "Miss Cameron at Christmas." The heroine, Miss Cameron, ...more
Tara
Oct 22, 2015 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It is a collection of heart warming short stories by one of my favorite authors - Rosamunde Pilcher. Each story is short enough to read before going to bed each night. This was great for me because I like to read before I go to bed but, I often find myself staying up late because I want "closure" when I am reading a novel. I would recommend this book.
JayeL
Mar 12, 2008 JayeL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, pre-2000
I was very sad when this book of short stories ended. There are not enough Rosamunde Pilcher novels for my tastes right now. I may have to break out The Shell Seekers and Coming Home. I may also have to haunt some used bookstores to try and find some of her shorter and older books. Perhaps even a trip to the UK is in order. ;-)

One of the stories that I particularly liked was one about a man who stays home from work one day with a cold and is surprised to find what his stay at home wife really do
Rachael
Sep 30, 2015 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun-reads
Another collection of sweet stories, although I felt like it was odd to have three stories revolve around the same premise. For a more complete review check out my blog, Rachael Reads!

Karen
Feb 19, 2016 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
More like two and a half stars. The writing was halfway decent, but I did not find the stories very engaging and they were all entirely too predictable.
Karyn
Feb 03, 2016 Karyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book when I was about 20 years old. I've read it on and off ever since. I found this book again after it was packed away for 6 years. I found it to be the same sweet wonderful book it was as it had been in my head.
Some people said it was about birth and death, but there's more too it than that. Yes it's true there are some stories about those 2 subjects, but then there are some about rascism, and husbands realizing what wonderful people they're wives are.
Rosamunde Pilcher was a w
Jenalyn
Mar 16, 2014 Jenalyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely! The perfect cozy, drifting-off-to-sleep stories. How did I not know about this sooner?
Feb 21, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read these before but enjoyed the short stories all over again. Highly recommend
Bethack
What is better than a book by Pilcher? A book of short stories by Pilcher
Megan
Sep 15, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book I've read that I would recommend to all my GoodReads friends.

That's why I gave it five stars.

It is a collection of short stories: each one describes ordinary people and ordinary events.

I really couldn't pick a favorite. I cried after reading:
The Blue Bedroom
An Evening to Remember

If I'd been pregnant I probably would have cried at every story -- a happy sort of cry, though.

I also especially liked:
Home for the Day
Tea with the Professor
Gilbert
The Tree

There wasn't a story I
Emily Long
It was 3 stars for me until i got to the FOURTH story that involved an early labor.
JoAnn
Mar 20, 2016 JoAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have read this one several times.
Susan
Jun 30, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally enjoyed the short stories in this book. They were nice gentle stories.
Wendy
Jun 07, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another favorite comfort book
Christine O'dell
As always, just love her writing!
Jean
Oct 01, 2010 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of those overly long books that give all kinds of descriptions and not much action. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really like this book. Maybe it is because they are short stories, but I think the author does an exceptional job of creating character, place and plot with just the right touch - not too much, not too little. Each story was thought provoking, so I limited myself to one a day. A nice, comforting read about a very pleasant world and very pleasant people.
Stacy
Feb 02, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of 13 short stories had a few gems, but was mostly just average for me. These were published in magazines in the 1970′s & 80′s and they seemed a little dated to me. But maybe all of these stories of life in English villages added this feeling. I have read one Pilcher book and thought it was good but not great, so maybe she’s just not my taste.

there's more on my blog http://stacybuckeye.wordpress.com/201...
Rrshively
Jun 09, 2012 Rrshively rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not that fond of short stories, so to say I really liked this book is a compliment to the author. I chose this book at a used book store because I like many of Rosamunde Pilcher's novels, especially The Shell Seekers. As with any collection of stories, I liked some better than others. I especially reccommend "Gilbert", "Amita", and "An Evening to Remember". This collection covers race relations, being a foster parent, and a wide spectrum of human relationships.
Lee Anne
Jan 08, 2013 Lee Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girlie
Almost gave this book to Salvation Army the other day, thinking I would never read it. I am so glad I picked it up for a "light" reading break amidst "Bonhoeffer." I had forgotten how delightfully Pilcher writes, elucidating each prosaic event to the extraordinary & bringing tears to my eyes! What a wonderful respite!
Enjoyable short stories of day-to-day family life with beautiful descriptions & insights to illustrate that "everyday life" is indeed "what it's all about"!
  • Starburst
  • The Venetian House
  • Village Affairs (Fairacre, #13)
  • Picking Dandelions: A Search for Eden Among Life's Weeds
  • Prayers for a Privileged People
  • The Last Slice of Rainbow and Other Stories
  • A Friend of the Family
  • Gracenomics: Unleash the Power of Second Chance Living
  • The Divine Commodity: Discovering a Faith Beyond Consumer Christianity
  • Die Rosenzüchterin
  • Across the Miles: Tales of Correspondence
  • The Radical Question: What is Jesus Worth To You?
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops
  • Off the Main Sequence: The Other Science Fiction Stories of Robert A. Heinlein
  • The Return Journey
20849
Rosamunde Scott was born on 22 September 1924 in Lelant, Cornwall, England, UK, daughter of Helen and Charles Scott, a British commander. Just before her birth her father was posted in Burma, her mother remained in England. She attended St. Clare's Polwithen and Howell's School Llandaff before going on to Miss Kerr-Sanders' Secretarial College. She began writing when she was seven, and published h ...more
More about Rosamunde Pilcher...