Start by marking “Das blaue Zimmer.” as Want to Read:
Das blaue Zimmer.
Preview

Das blaue Zimmer.

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,231 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Die Erzählungen aus Rosamunde Pilchers Band Das blaue Zimmer handeln wieder einmal von den großen Ereignissen im alltäglichen Leben der kleinen Leute. Da gibt es die Hochzeit der Kinder zu feiern, den Tod des Großvaters zu beklagen, die schwere Geburt eines Lammes zu begleiten oder ein Baby entschließt sich an Weihnachten auf die Welt zu kommen.

In der ersten Erzählung, "

Taschenbuch, 331 pages
Published January 31st 1996 by Rowohlt Tb. (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Das blaue Zimmer., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das blaue Zimmer.

Linda
Rosamunde Pilcher's stories are so lovely! She writes about strong women characters facing everyday problems in Scotland or Cornwall, England. My favorite story in this collection is called "Miss Cameron at Christmas." The heroine, Miss Cameron, is an aging Scottish lady, who after taking care of her elderly parents for most of her life, is left enough money in her father's will to buy her own little home in a village outside Edinburgh. She befriends her neighbors and comes to their aid one Chri ...more
Brit McCarthy
Not everyone can write short stories well. It takes a different kind of skill, I think. You haven’t got a couple of hundred pages to write an epic story and develop brilliant characters. You only have maybe twenty pages to tell a story and introduce characters in a way that leaves an impression, then you have to leave those characters behind for a new story. It takes a different sort of reader, too, to appreciate the brilliance of the stories.

I haven’t read a lot of short stories, some Alice Mun
R.L.
I love all things written by Rosamunde Pilcher. Her simplicity of description and her beautiful way with words is astounding. Her stories flow effortlessly across my imagination, bringing to life her characters and making me fall in love with them every time. This particular book is full of priceless gems. I never read any book more than once but I've read The Blue Room from cover to cover many times. I still cry or laugh in all the right places. A must read for anyone who, like me, thinks of En ...more
Debbie Robson
Here is my bookcrossing review from 2004:
"I remember these as delightful stories. Deftly written too with the way each character's life is quickly sketched and captured by small but insightful details."
Re-reading the collection more than ten years later my opinion hasn't changed. I released the book at the Embassy Cafe in Newcastle in November 2004. I wonder who picked the book up?
DubaiReader
Short stories.

Rosamunde Pilcher certainly has a way with words and I started this book enthusiastically, thoroughly enjoying the title story. The next few were also good, but then I started to feel that the subjects were becoming too repetitive: three stories were about panic births, for instance. I realised that the book had lost my interest and I'm going against the grain here, to only give 3 stars.

One story, in particular seemed a bit unlikely - a ten-year-old boy, recovering from an appendec
Mom Coulongue
Refreshing to have a good book without sex, murder, child abuse, or political corruption...
Wonderful for a peaceful sleep, Val.
Will save it for you
Sheryl
Just picking up this book makes me smile. A collection of short stories that cover a full range of emotions. Great for a day on the beach.
Linda
These short stories, all with happy endings, reminded me of a book which had been my mother’s when she was a child and which I read as a child and enjoyed as well. Its subtitle was something about children whose tears were turned to smiles. In her way, Pilcher does the same thing, but her people are so real and her settings so well described that the book doesn’t come across as too sweet or sentimental. I had read this years ago and now I want to go back and re-read more of Pilcher’s books. I p ...more
Barrie
Wonderfully written emotional stories, small subjects, long memories.
Melissa
I did it. I DID IT!! I finally finished this book! It took me almost a month and a half, but I read it. And now I'm not sure what to think.

This collection of short stories is all about birth, death and marriage. I can only think of 2 that weren't... the first and the last. Overall, this book just didn't strike a chord with me. There were a couple that caught my interest and I found myself wanting more, but, of course, they're short stories. They don't give you more. And the other stories weren'
Mrs.
Oct 23, 2007 Mrs. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantics
MSJA Book Club selection, October 2007. I love Rosamunde Pilcher. Her stories and novels are so lovely! She writes about strong women characters facing everyday problems in Scotland or Cornwall, England. I would love to live in one of her country villages. She writes about themes that touch everyone. Many of her plots revolve around family relationships, new babies or the death of a loved one. My favorite story in this collection is called "Miss Cameron at Christmas." The heroine, Miss Cameron, ...more
JayeL
I was very sad when this book of short stories ended. There are not enough Rosamunde Pilcher novels for my tastes right now. I may have to break out The Shell Seekers and Coming Home. I may also have to haunt some used bookstores to try and find some of her shorter and older books. Perhaps even a trip to the UK is in order. ;-)

One of the stories that I particularly liked was one about a man who stays home from work one day with a cold and is surprised to find what his stay at home wife really do
Jenalyn
Lovely! The perfect cozy, drifting-off-to-sleep stories. How did I not know about this sooner?
Linda
I had read these before but enjoyed the short stories all over again. Highly recommend
Megan
This is the only book I've read that I would recommend to all my GoodReads friends.

That's why I gave it five stars.

It is a collection of short stories: each one describes ordinary people and ordinary events.

I really couldn't pick a favorite. I cried after reading:
The Blue Bedroom
An Evening to Remember

If I'd been pregnant I probably would have cried at every story -- a happy sort of cry, though.

I also especially liked:

There wasn't a story I
Wendy
Another favorite comfort book
Jean
I'm not a fan of those overly long books that give all kinds of descriptions and not much action. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really like this book. Maybe it is because they are short stories, but I think the author does an exceptional job of creating character, place and plot with just the right touch - not too much, not too little. Each story was thought provoking, so I limited myself to one a day. A nice, comforting read about a very pleasant world and very pleasant people.
Stacy
This collection of 13 short stories had a few gems, but was mostly just average for me. These were published in magazines in the 1970′s & 80′s and they seemed a little dated to me. But maybe all of these stories of life in English villages added this feeling. I have read one Pilcher book and thought it was good but not great, so maybe she’s just not my taste.

there's more on my blog http://stacybuckeye.wordpress.com/201...
Rrshively
I am not that fond of short stories, so to say I really liked this book is a compliment to the author. I chose this book at a used book store because I like many of Rosamunde Pilcher's novels, especially The Shell Seekers. As with any collection of stories, I liked some better than others. I especially reccommend "Gilbert", "Amita", and "An Evening to Remember". This collection covers race relations, being a foster parent, and a wide spectrum of human relationships.
Lee Anne
Almost gave this book to Salvation Army the other day, thinking I would never read it. I am so glad I picked it up for a "light" reading break amidst "Bonhoeffer." I had forgotten how delightfully Pilcher writes, elucidating each prosaic event to the extraordinary & bringing tears to my eyes! What a wonderful respite!
Enjoyable short stories of day-to-day family life with beautiful descriptions & insights to illustrate that "everyday life" is indeed "what it's all about"!
Kathaileen
This is a collection of short stories by the author. I particularly liked the one about the wife whose husbands decides to work at home one day. He loves the smell of food cooking and thinks it's particularly for him and he sees how busy his wife is in the garden, etc. Then he realizes that she actually works all week long in order to be the great hostess she is on the weekends. ...more
Barbara
The short stories in this collection really resonated with me. The story "Amita" concerns prejudice and the narrator says this about prejudice: What was all the fuss about? Nothing. People are people...we all have something to give each other, and we all have something to share, even if it is only life itself.
Sue
Lovely short stories by one of my favourite authors. Gentle, moving plots with delightfully believable characters, and satisfying resolutions. Nicely nostalgic, set in the 1980s or thereabouts in rural UK.

Longer review: http://suesbookreviews.blogspot.com/2...
Relyn
Feb 24, 2013 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who enjoy domestic stories
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Rosamunde Pilcher.
Shelves: 2013-reread
I love Rosamunde Pilcher. Every time I think she is finished writing, I feel a sense of loss. She is truly a remarkable writer. It has been quite a long time since I read her short stories, which made my time reading them this weekend in front of the fire an even bigger treat. I love Rosamunde Pilcher. Love her!
Seabear
I loved this collection of short stories! They fall into the 'nice' category and what is stopping them getting 5 stars is that in most, I wanted a 'punchline' if you will. The stories build and build and often a plot climax is not reached...and I found this a little unsatisfactory at the close.
Taylor
I finally read the actual book after listening, over and over and over, to the audio book (I can't remember who narrates it, but their voice was perfect - haha)! Great set of beautiful little romantic stories. My mom is a huge fan of Rosamunde Pilcher and I don't blame her! :)
Katherine P
Delightful short stories with something heartwarming in each one. A perfect book for a bad week. I liked this collection better than Flowers in the Rain and I think Pilcher's writing does better in short story form than in many of her full length novels.
Oldgaol
Nice little book with nice little stories..
Margaret
A collection of simple, sweet stories - got the impression that maybe these short stories were some of her earlier works. Many of the stories involved children learning to deal with death or birth.
Melody Savage
This is a collection of short stories. Love the charming foreign settings, the old-fashioned values, and the modern life in retro-villages. Humor, romance, family love - it's all there.
  • Starburst
  • The Venetian House
  • Across the Miles: Tales of Correspondence
  • A Friend of the Family
  • Village Affairs (Fairacre, #13)
  • Gracenomics: Unleash the Power of Second Chance Living
  • Die Rosenzüchterin
  • The Radical Question: What is Jesus Worth To You?
  • Sins of the Flesh (Sins, #2)
  • Picking Dandelions: A Search for Eden Among Life's Weeds
  • The Last Slice of Rainbow and Other Stories
  • Prayers for a Privileged People
  • Beyond Summer (Blue Sky Hill #3)
  • Divine Commodity: Discovering a Faith Beyond Consumer Christianity
20849
Rosamunde Scott was born on 22 September 1924 in Lelant, Cornwall, England, UK, daughter of Helen and Charles Scott, a British commander. Just before her birth her father was posted in Burma, her mother remained in England. She attended St. Clare's Polwithen and Howell's School Llandaff before going on to Miss Kerr-Sanders' Secretarial College. She began writing when she was seven, and published h ...more
More about Rosamunde Pilcher...
The Shell Seekers Winter Solstice September Coming Home Snow In April