Start by marking “Chicken Cheeks” as Want to Read:
Chicken Cheeks

Chicken Cheeks

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,461 ratings  ·  281 reviews
Some bears will go to any length to get some honey. This one recruits every animal that comes along to form, well, a stack. The result? Tail of the duck to the gluteus maximus of the duck-billed platypus (with many other rears in between). Readers will giggle with delight at the bird's eye view of some hysterical animal bottoms. Follow this back-sided journey up the tree - ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Cheeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Cheeks

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareFire by Kristin CashoreWintergirls by Laurie Halse AndersonIf I Stay by Gayle Forman
2009 MUST READS: Children's and YA
92nd out of 261 books — 769 voters
14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra DeedyThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownMoonshot by Brian FlocaRed Sings from Treetops by Joyce Sidman
2010 Caldecott Hopefuls
32nd out of 60 books — 155 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
do you know that there are at least 17 different words to describe an animal's posterior without getting vulgar? i now know this because tommy tomato was kind enough to make this contribution to my "animal butts" shelf.

and boy, are there ever butts!!

and i hate to quibble, but i have some questions...

i'm not sure where this story is taking place - apart from the alliterative or rhyming butt-references: "turkey tushy", "moose caboose", the backstory is seriously lacking. where are these animals??
Scooping it Up
I don't know how this got published. The entire book shows cartoonish animals stacked one on top of the other from the behind, citing different names for the buttocks.

There is no other text,surprise ending or humor other than saying the word "ass" in 13 different ways. The end shows all the animals falling from their stack with their rear ends sticking half way out of a pond and it reads
"The End."

I found it sorely lacking creativity. It was seriously pathetic. I am ok with books that address b
Sue Smith
Damn - my kids would have looooooooved this book!!! I love this book! What's not to love about such 'cheekiness'?!! How can you resist the temptation to learn various humorous ways to say 'arse' so you can repeat it to your friends and family when the most inappropriate time arrives?! It's an impossiblity my friends.

Of course,it's missing afew of the latest derriere slangs - like a jackel's junk or a beaver's booty. And a few classics were left out as well - a burro's buttocks and a porcupine's
Kathryn
Amusing little book featuring various animal behinds! The word choices and rhymes and great fun and build vocabulary. Any book that includes "duckbill platypus gluteus maximus" deserves four stars, haha! :-D

Thanks to Angie for bringing this to my attention.
paula
It's a fact, I'm a sucker for the bold, chewy acrylics of Kevin Hawkes. His love of orange and blue is apparently nearly as ardent as mine own. The guy's color contrast always puts me in mind of Maxfield Parrish. And in Chicken cheeks, his slightly just-past-normal expressions and colors are perfectly tuned to the subject matter.

And the subject matter is butts.

Yes, butts. But cute butts, not crass butts. Rhyming, alliterative, clever butts. Sure, it'll have the kids rolling on the floor (because
gina
HAHA! I truly loved this picture book about animals rear ends lol! And it's written my Michael Ian Black who I also love. (by the way, best author picture ever. He's passed out in it... or sleeping.. or?).

From the moment he grabs the duck I was like- "whaaa?" and loved it to the very end (no pun intended). I picked up this book because I have chickens and needed a fun read on my lunch break and am always drawn now to funny chicken books. This one does not disappoint. Very cute and well done. I c
Sam Bloom
Not until I finished this book did I realize it was written by Michael Ian Black, late of "The State" and (I think) "Wet Hot American Summer." Pretty crazy that he's writing a children's book, but he did a heck of a job with this, his first one. A group of animals pile on top of one another, each with his/her rear end in the previous animal's face. And each animal butt either rhymes or begins with the same letter as the animal it belongs to (personal favorites: "gnu wazoo" and "duck-billed platy ...more
Cassie
Taboo subjects have always been completely riveting to young children. Look at the popularity of Dav Pilkey’s Captain Underpants, or Taro Gomi’s Everyone Poops. If it is a gross, “eww”, or makes-you-blush subject, the books fly off the shelf. The same will be said for Michael Ian Black’s new book Chicken Cheeks. While not the most verbose book I have run across, it is good fun and the illustrations are hilarious. If you have a child who you cannot get interested in books, but they totally crack ...more
Whitney Rachel
goodness gracious this book is awful.

Mary
Really, how can you NOT enjoy a book devoted entirely to seeing how many words one can use to describe an animal's rear end? From "penguin patootie" to "kangaroo keister" this title has them all covered (or not, as the case may be). What, you may ask, is the purpose behind labeling all of these behinds? Because bear wants something at the top of the tree, so he has all of the animals pile on top of each other in an effort to reach his goal. As far a the early literacy skills this book encourages ...more
Jaime
a warning about this book, if you check it out, be prepared for your child to call their "bottom" lots of other words. This book we read one time, and didn't even finish it because it used so many different words for what our "bottom" is. Normally, yes this kind of thing can be funny, but call me a prude I guess, I just don't like some of the words coming out of kids mouths. Especially potty talk. I despise potty talk, and until recently my child has finally learned that potty talk isn't accepta ...more
Elaine Bearden
The funniest book I've read in a long time. Who can not laugh when the author finds as many synonyms for rear-end as he can, then rhymes them with animals and makes a story out of it? For even more fun, tune into Amazon.com for a video clip of the author reading the book. I've used this in storytime and the kids loved it. My nephew claimed it was his "special book" when his older brother tried to take it away from him. (I gave it to the younger nephew for his birthday.)
Jenni
Sep 11, 2010 Jenni rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: i-own
I loved this book! I picked it up on a whim at the library today. I the young kids had already gone to bed, but I asked who wanted to have story time to my 3 teenagers.( this is when the eye rolling started) I started to read out loud anyway. We restarted the book 3 times as each child joined the party. We giggled and laughed then read it again to find out how the ants got up there. I am so going to buy this book, and many times for many years!
Rakisha
This is one of the funniest children's books I've read in a while. It is all about animals bootys. Older toddlers to kindergarteners will laugh hysterically at all the slang words for the backside. My favorite one was duck bill platypus gluteus maximus. That stopped me cold in the middle of my story time. I had to put the book down so I could laugh. I suppose this is why I should pre-read the books. :-)
Lana Krumwiede
Bum humor is the Ole' Reliable of kids books. I have to admit, this book is funny. Great word choice, great illustrations (big Kevin Hawkes fan here). I would hesitate to read this one aloud to a group of kids because it would be asking for a buttload of trouble. That said, it was good for a cheeky laugh with my own child.

See what I mean? Ole' Reliable.
Amy Carr
I loved this book! It is hilarious...you will giggle and belly laugh the entire way through. It is clever and genuinely funny and your children will LOVE it...no matter what age! This is going to go on that shelf of books that can instantly solicit a smile or giggle from me...not matter what the circumstance!
Lucia
I love the predictability of the fly (or was it an ant) climbing up all the animals as the reader learns so many different ways to say "butt" nicely. I think the kids didn't get it at Max's daycare. Maybe they aren't as exceptional as I thought!
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Loved it, we ended up reading it 6 times in a row, we had the whole library laughing. How many ways can you say backside? Simply wrote, great pictures, and an imagination jump start, bet you can think of a few yourself.
Kate
How in the world did I miss this book when it came out? First, it's about BUTTS (what's not to love) and it's written by Michael Ian Black from "The State" which was one of my favorite shows back in the day.
Anina
If I were 5, I would think this was the best thing ever written. The pictures are good too. Just the right amount of suggested butt cleavage without going overboard.
Erica
This isn't really a story- but just a lot of different names for the thing you sit on. Not funny to all people.
Claudia
Oh my! What a funny, subversive book. Bear wants to climb, but he needs help. His buddies form an animal pyramid, but a certain part of their anatomies keep getting in the way.

I can see boys rolling on the floor laughing at such forbidden images as...'turkey tushy' and'hound dog heinie.!' I can see this book sparking a very active lesson on alliteration, synonyms, rhyming. IF the teacher and the kids could keep straight faces.

Bear DOES reach his goal, but not with the results he hoped.

The author
Kate Hastings
Feb 09, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pre-K to Grade 2 bottoms potty humor grossology
Recommended to Kate Hastings by: Christiana
Shelves: picturebooks
How many ways can you say butt? Kids will giggle.
Douglas Cootey
I wanted to like this book. I truly did. It featured comical, brightly colored illustrations. It featured a cornucopia of keisters. Seriously. A book about butts‽ What wasn't to like? Well, let's start with typography & word choices.

I'm all for challenging a child to read better, but some of the animal names needed a pronunciation guide. (I'm looking at you, Gnu!) I had to help the adult reader pronounce it correctly. However, what truly made the book difficult to read for my reader (and th
Pam ☼Ask Me About FrankenKnee☼ Tee
Chicken cheeks... Turkey tushie... Duck-billed platypus gluteus maximus! All the kind of talk that kids adore.

"Chicken Cheeks" isn't Baby Einstein for older children, but it is the sort of goofy pleasure that tends to keep children interested in reading. The Accelerated Reading designation for this book is a generic "1" which means it hasn't been fully accessed (the exact month remains unknown). I don't generally say this, but I don't think in this case it matters what month the vocabulary is a
Danielle
Chicken Cheeks is a book about all the different names people call the buttocks. This is a fun book meant to create laughs. This lighthearted book is meant more for primary grades but is enjoyed by folks of all ages. This book could be paired with the dictionary and thesaurus as well as other book that discuss different words used for the same thing.
Regina
Once again, I look at the other reviews and think, "lighten up".
Okay, so this is a book about butts. Chicken butts, bear butts, deer derrieres, etc. A clever bear assembles a rather peculiar totem pole to help him reach a high honeycomb. Each animal has no choice but to stare at the bum above him, all to disastrous results.
I thought it was funny, as a lot of kids get to an age where butts are the funniest taboos. I know a kid who made it her business to poke people in the butt whenever she saw t
Naomi
I am more familiar with Michael Ian Black from his comedy and political books, but this book was HILARIOUS. Even as an adult I found myself giggling. He partnered up with a great illustrator too so the book comes together nicely. Don't forget the back of the book's little message... "The end is rear!"
Emmanuel
The only reason I rated this as high as I did was because my daughter enjoyed findings the ants hidden throughout the book. There are two on each page. She didn't really appreciate the rest of it though. If you have children with a butt fetish, maybe they'll enjoy this. I doubt it though.
MCC Children's Li...: young readers 1 3 Jan 30, 2012 06:10PM
  • Dancing Feet!
  • Little Hoot
  • Grumpy Bird
  • Let's Do Nothing!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Jump!
Michael Ian Black (very famous) is a popular comedian who began his career with The State, a sketch comedy troupe he co-founded at New York University in 1988, which went on to have a successful run on MTV. He then co-created the Comedy Central television series "Viva Variety," a fake European variety show. From there, he appeared on several television show before landing the role of Phil Stubbs, ...more
More about Michael Ian Black...
You're Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations I'm Bored My Custom Van: And 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays that Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea Naked!