Start by marking “Poison: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Poison: A Novel

Poison: A Novel

2.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The death of flamboyant writer and womanizer Peter Grosvenor sets in motion a series of spiraling events surrounding his legacy and his estate. His bitter third wife, his two children, his sister, his friends, and his would-be biographers are drawn into a maelstrom of intense memories and painful encounters as each of the major players in Peter's life seeks to appropriate ...more
Published April 17th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Poison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poison

Maeta
I am stopping with this book after 100 pages. I promised myself I would give it at least 100 pages before giving up. It is boring, hard to follow, and written in a kind of stream of conciousness that is very irritating. It would be different if the author would follow some sort of logic in her writing, but she literally jumps from one character to another in the middle of thoughts, and never seems to finish and thought. After 60 pages, I still did not know who the main character is, nor did I re ...more
Victoria
Sep 11, 2012 Victoria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-fic, sold, not-for-me
Ehhh... This one was not very good. It was much more centered around the characters than the plot and even then, in the end, nothing was resolved at all.
In the beginning, it hinted at secrets, resolutions, but largely it failed to deliver - astonishing for it being a 600 page plus book. The writing was very good, though the P.O.V. was a little confusing at times.
The only good thing that was fun in reading about the envy-inspiring lifestyles of these writers. Other than being the catalyst for som
Jan
Sep 05, 2008 Jan rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those with insomnia
Shelves: library-copy
I enjoyed "Time in Its Flight" immensely and kept reading this book hoping that I would eventually like this one as well. It never happened. An utter waste of 606 pages. I have to remember that I really don't have to finish the books I start; there are too many other out there to waste ones time on something less than enjoyable.
Bonnie
Aug 12, 2010 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I loved this book. It is the definitive work on relationships and marriages. It is 606 pages but every page is a revelation.
Trine
Feb 24, 2015 Trine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book tremendously. The language so wonderful, and some of the characters very vivid. Though sad and unresolved at the end, the descriptions from so many different perspectives was very interesting and entertaining to read. Only minus that some scenes are very long drawn and seem to provide excessive detail on random aspects. Would recommend it to anyone interested in exploring relationships - family, marriage and friendship.
Amelia
Apr 12, 2014 Amelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poison has to be one of my favourite books of all time. The writing is beautiful, the characters are fascinating, and although the plot takes a back seat, the overall book is perfect. It isn't a book you can read lightly, you have to immerse yourself in it. I read it in a day, it was so enthralling. I haven't yet read any other of Schaeffer's books, but if this is how she writes all the time, I definitely will.
Elizabeth Sulzby
I started rereading this book without realizing I'd read it before. It's as depressing as I remembered it.
The set-up of two talented wives who committed suicide via gas in kitchen range while married to a man who was also a well known and "handsome" man reminds too tritely of Sylvia Plath. Now the man has died and his sisters, son, daughter and third wife are having neverending squabbles. I may quit or may skim through to see if there is anything of value I missed before. Too bad--I enjoy Schaef
Cheri Vause
May 30, 2014 Cheri Vause rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary
I have desperately tried to like this book. Even though the writing is poetic, it has a tendency to ramble. After reading several sentences I want to scream, "Blah, blah, blah, blah. Just stop the constant Woe is me stuff." I couldn't give it any less than one star, and I couldn't give it any more. I have finally given up on it. The one star is because I don't want to give up on the author, just the book. I will search for another of her works and see if I will love her work.
Kirsten
Feb 13, 2012 Kirsten rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up on this book after 103 pages. It was very difficult for me to keep track of who was talking. There were so many run on sentences and character switches I just couldn't keep it all straight. In addition to that, just wasn't my type of book. I like adventure and thrillers and mysteries and this book wasn't really any of those things.
Marianne Shaker
A very thoughtful, beautifully written book about the havoc a man wreaked in people's lives and how his death affected them. That said, I only got half way through. I just couldn't connect with the characters and the analysis just went on and on and on and on and on........

I will look for other books by author, however.
Lisa Mayer
Feb 16, 2014 Lisa Mayer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
Very frustrating - have given up. Tried and tried to keep reading but felt like I was banging my head against a brick wall just dealing with all the negativity. Please don't judge the author by this book, she's written some brilliant books. This is just not one of them.
Jsue wagner
Not a satisfying read. Like life itself, nothing really changes in the process, until death itself calls a halt. A good description of the human condition and the foibles inherent to it. Overall a depressing volume, but beautifully written.
Barbara Matros
Truth is very elusive in this novel, but i think that is the point. It is well-written, but almost unbearably sad. One must hope that the human predicament is not as dire as portrayed here.
Leigh Sophia
I finished it because I had to know the ending or at least how we were going to get to the end. I wouldn't recommend it.
Viktoria
Oct 28, 2013 Viktoria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't even get halfway through the book before I gave up. I couldn't deal with the whole "woman wo us me" crap.
N
Mar 31, 2008 N rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I want to get through this book and like it, because I've thought one of her other books was phenomenally written...
Tara
Jun 08, 2010 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dare you to read this and NOT know who the writers are in this book.
Febbysue
Oct 19, 2010 Febbysue marked it as to-read
Ahkay. Just bought this :) Yahuuu. Next to Brida.
Lisa Cantrell
Oct 08, 2009 Lisa Cantrell rated it did not like it
Not as good as the golden rope by the same author
Bri_laughs_a_lot.
Sep 06, 2012 Bri_laughs_a_lot. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college, 2012
Sara
Oct 13, 2012 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
bleh
H Gibson
H Gibson is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2016
Aylin
Aylin marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
ACityCat
ACityCat marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Rebecca Krause
Rebecca Krause marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Ginella Bakke
Ginella Bakke marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016