Blame It on Paris

Blame It on Paris

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Can an insecure American woman find happiness with a sexy Parisian waiter---
even if she doesn't like the French?

Laura has spent most of her adult life avoiding serious relationships, flitting around the world, and keeping her romantic expectations comfortably low. The last thing she wants is to have her globe-trotting ways curtailed by a messy emotional entanglement. As fa...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Forge Books

The Iron Daughter by Julie KagawaFallen by Lauren KateFairy Tale by Cyn BalogWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones
RRRC - 2011 March Pick it for me Award Ceremony
43rd out of 98 books — 56 voters
Les Misérables by Victor HugoA Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensA Moveable Feast by Ernest HemingwayMy Life in France by Julia ChildThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Books About Paris
265th out of 349 books — 392 voters

More lists with this book...

Joanne
I really liked this, though I still can't tell if it's supposed to be fiction or nonfiction. There are parts which are so incredibly detailed that I can't imagine they are fiction, and the author has the same name as the title character, but it's listed as "fiction" in the front material. It kind of bugged me: pick a genre!

Otherwise I enjoyed this cross-cultural love story about a girl who goes on study abroad to France and falls for a man there just as she is getting ready to move on to the nex...more
Renee
I had very high expectations for this book. After all, much of it takes place in Paris, and I do have a mild obsession (if indeed it is possible to have a mild obsession) with anything to do with Paris. Furthermore, it was blurbed by Joshilyn Jackson, who I think is one of the best and most underappreciated writers in America today. I had hoped it would be a comedy of errors a la Diane Johnson but non-fiction, or a humorous meditation on being an American in a strange land in the manner of Bill...more
Lynn
I very much enjoyed all of Laura Florand's Chocolate series books and so was excited to read her memoir of living and loving in Paris. This book does not disappoint. Laura lives a life of high drama, humor, and romance that reads like fiction but is even better because it really happened. I keep going back and reading lines such as “Some people might have thought all was said on the subject, but little did they understand my powers of repetition”(p 254). Such a girl after my own heart! This is a...more
May
Laura's story is mine in reverse: she's an American from Georgia who went to study in Paris where she met her French husband. Also, she's a Professor in French literature and her husband is a Graphic Designer (well, in my case, it's my son who's the Graphic Designer, but still...). Her perspective on the two cultures is invaluable, and her book's lots of fun. I gave it to friends with a foot in both cultures. I also wrote to her and she just had a baby...
Melissa
My favorite book of 2008! Florand tells the true story of how she met and married a charming Frenchman named Sebastien. Her voice is vivid and I just flat-out *liked* her. Not to mention, the book is laugh-out-loud hilarious. It brilliantly shows her adjustment to French culture as well as Sebastien's somewhat rougher adjustment to the culture of rural Georgia. The characters are a scream; I particularly enjoyed the crabby French priest.
Melissa
A truly delightful memoir of one of my favorite authors, Laura Florand. I laughed, I cried, and cringed at some of the more awkward moments. This is why I keep going back for more of Laura Florand's magical chocolate fantasies with steamy, hunky men.

My favorite quote from the book is during the author's third wedding led by an aging priest. Can you believe she had a total of 4 weddings? How truly romantic!!

"Love is patient, St. Paul tells us. 'Love is kind.' So no matter how much your wife dese...more
Suzie Quint
A delightful memoir that reads a bit like a rom-com. Her four weddings (all to the same man) are funny as hell.
Nath
Misti
3.5 stars. I picked this book up with The Chocolate Thief but I did not realize until after I started to read it that this is a memoir. It's written in a chic-lit style but is a memoir about how the author met her French husband and how they got married. Meeting and falling in love with a handsome foreigner sounds very romantic but after reading this, it's also a lot of work. The clash of cultures is funny and Sebastien's reaction to shrink wrapped cheese is priceless.

This book isn't a romance,...more
Bea
No. Just no. I tried to love it, I really tried, but it just didn't work.
I got this book from Book Sale - a bookstore in the Philippines which sells books (new and secondhand) at a very cheap price. I found this and decided to purchase it because the branch I was in was chaotic and I didn't want to go home empty handed. Besides, it only cost me Php85 - just about $2.

I changed from 1 star to 2 stars because LAURA AND SEBASTIEN are real people... I have to hand it to them. :)

When I first opened th...more
Jen
Ever read a book that made you fall in love with the person who wrote it AND an entire culture that is not your own (and you never had any leanings toward previously)? Me either, until I read this book. I admit, I was sort of pre-disposed to love it for several reasons. First, the author, Laura Florand, has an obssession with chocolate that rivals EVEN MINE. My husband (and anyone who has ever met me, really) will tell you that this is a pretty tall order. BUT - and I am extraordinarily jealous...more
Hazel
There were some things I liked about this book, and others I didn't. For one thing I liked the crazy and funny antics of the families of Laura & Sebastian. That had me laughing a lot. I was kind of perplexed with Laura's attitude though. Is she really that insecure? She seemed kind of immature but I guess that's normal since she was only twenty something. Anyway this book is autobiographical I think. I don't know too much about the author. Though I did read The Chocolate Thief which I really...more
MB
3.5 stars A fun look at what a happy ending involves when it comes to two very different cultures and countries. Who doesn't envy Laura a little?

I think she should have sold her various weddings as features to magazines. A kind of My Big Fat Southern Wedding to a French lifestyle magazine, and a My Big Fat French Wedding to an American magazine. The pictures themselves would have sold it, not to mention the funny stories and larger-than-life relatives. Too bad, she could have recouped some of th...more
Cooper
Fun little chick lit book. Made me want to whip out my passport, head to the airport and get on the first plan to Paris. Funny take on when an American woman studying abroad ends up falling in love with a Frenchman. Makes you laugh at the peculiarities of customs we take for granted -- we (Americans) have the sink in the bathroom with the toilet. The French, never! The sink and toilet are kept in separate rooms. And when they meet each others family, it was fun to see the South though the eyes o...more
Alison
Mina Khan
OMG, I loved this! I picked it up thinking it was a fun romance novel, but discovered it's a memoir of the author's courtship & weddings. Since I myself had an intercultural romance that led to several weddings to the same guy on different continents, I totally got all the funny cross-cultural mis-communication, fears, and bureaucratic government dealings. I was laughing out loud as I read this. Miss Florand has a sharp wit which she uses to poke fun at her own Southern heritage and assumpti...more
Tama
Jun 27, 2013 Tama rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Ok, as you can tell, I really like Paris stories. At least reading about it is one way to get back there. In this book, the main character was in Paris on a study abroad but really did not love (or even like) the city or the French. But then there was this waiter at a restaurant she could afford. She is pushed by her friends to leave him a note and what follows is not only their love story, but also how they fell in love with each others' families. The reader is with them as they navigate work,...more
Jaime
Very cute, definitely smart, frequently hilarious, sometimes irritating but a lot of fun--as I describe the book itself, I suspect I'm describing its author, as well. I look forward to reading her novels. While eating chocolate.
Janet
Brandi
Actually, I didn't finish this book. I cannot. I hate to write this but the book is not great. The story might be interesting but it is interrupted by insecure narrative. I understand that she was trying to be witty but I didn't find it such nor charming. The internal self-negative banter was distracting and annoying. If I read one more negative self-thought by the narrator I was going to throw the book away. I decided to simply put it down and leave it unfinished.
Chris
I pulled this book off the library shelf because the cover looked like a "chick-lit" book. I was looking for something light and funny. Imagine my surprise to find out this was a true story. I really enjoyed reading it. I think some of the parts were too lengthy, but then I also think the writer was trying to impress how tough this whole situation really was. I learned a lot about French culture and am curious to try this chocolate she refers to many times.
Beverly
May 27, 2011 Beverly is currently reading it
I am enjoying this book. 1st, I love Paris and love to read about it. This is a semiautobiographical story of an intercontinental love story and It is light and an enjoyable way to pass some time. I am reading it on a Kendil and I am not sure yet that I like the format. I miss having a book in my hand, knowing page numbers and turning pages.
Stephanie
Semiautobiographical novel about a small town Georgia girl living for a year in Paris, while working on her Ph.D. She hates the French, but is really intrigued by the gorgeous waiter at her favorite restaurant. All the humor is in the culture-clash, which is always fun. Delightful in many ways.
Rachel
The story doesn't flow well -- everything jumps from one scene to another without developing the current situation. The same goes for character development. The only character I (think) I know about are the two main ones, but even then it feels like something is missing.
Jean
Jul 18, 2011 Jean added it
No doubt one of the worst books I've read this year in a year of many mediocre books. The "cute" repetitions were anything but. Dissing on Paris? Should have known from the title that this book was not for me. When I want to read trash. I can do better than this!
Laura Radley
Jan 25, 2008 Laura Radley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women with an interest in Paris and/or inter-cultural relationships
Well, I'm planning a trip to France, so I've been reading books set there. This is definitely Chick Lit, but I enjoyed it for the most part. It is a memoir, and the main character (author) is a little annoyingly neurotic at times.
Yael Itamar
I got about 160 pages into it, and I was bored the whole way. There was absolutely nothing memorable about the characters, and the lack of a plot didn't help. Also, the author's choice of pen name is really tacky.
Peggy Lo
I think I loved it because it was so unexpected. I thought it was going to be a pretty typical chick lit book. But it went deeper than that and brought in their families and cultures. It's a great ride.
Kyria
This was a total chick book and was kind of fun. What I didn't realize until the end was that it was a true story, perhaps with embellishments. I would say it's a good mindless beach or airplane read.
KeAnne
Southern US studying abroad meets and marries Parisian hunk: madness ensues. I liked it because I could relate to Florand's Southernness. She also taught at Duke as recently as 2007.
  • Paris Hangover
  • My French Life
  • French Toast: An American in Paris Celebrates the Maddening Mysteries of the French
  • French By Heart: An American Family's Adventures in La Belle France
  • Foreign Tongue: A Novel of Life and Love in Paris
  • All You Need to Be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women
  • Social Crimes (Jo Slater #1)
  • Weekend in Paris
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Sex & Love in the City of Light
  • Frank Lloyd Wright: The Masterworks
  • Special Agent: My Life On the Front Lines as a Woman in the FBI
  • The Last Time I Saw Paris
  • The Promise of Provence: A Novel
  • Then Comes Marriage (Hot Water, California, #2)
  • Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris
  • The Last Days of Richard III
  • Heat Wave
  • Working Wonders
The Chocolate Thief (Amour et Chocolat #1) The Chocolate Kiss (Amour et Chocolat #2) The Chocolate Touch  (Amour et Chocolat #4) The Chocolate Rose (Amour et Chocolat, #3; La Vie en Roses, #1) The Chocolate Heart (Amour et Chocolat, #5)