Start by marking “Motherland” as Want to Read:
Motherland

Motherland

Stay-at-home mum Fran Clarke is approaching both her 37th birthday and crisis point. Once a brilliant voiceover artist, she now hasn't worked for years. The talent has not deserted her, only her self-belief. With her confidence shot and a husband who cannot help her, most days all she sees is the bottom of a wine glass.
Unknown Binding, 321 pages
Published February 7th 2008 by Not Avail (first published August 1st 2007)

Susan  Dunn
Jun 10, 2008 Susan Dunn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this one a lot. Francesca gave up her career as a voice over artist to raise her kids. Now that they're both in school, she has time to go back to work - but not the confidence to do so. At the same time she finds out her husband is having an affair and suddenly her afternoon glass of wine is turning into an afternoon bottle. And then two. A moving and funny portrayal of a midlife crisis. But all ends well - whew!

This is the first book from this author, and I will definitely keep my eyes o
Brandy
Jul 18, 2008 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The woman in this story starts to unravel and go down a dangerous road. I won't give anything away but to say that it was an interesting read, dark in some parts and some of her decisions made me cringe. But what I liked about it was I could see how easily this could really happen to a woman and I found myself wondering how I would respond to life in her circumstances. Kept me curious as to the ending.
Sue Kozlowski
Chicken Lit'er
Jul 12, 2008 Chicken Lit'er rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: womens-fiction
I started this book last year hoping to finish before my 38th birthday, but found the beginning to be a serious downer. But having plugged along even past my birthday, I was relieved to see the story gradually grow in depth and become a triumph for the main character. The ending makes up for it all, and I recommend this book to anyone looking for inspiration relationship-wise; whether it be family, friendship, or career related. Beaumont's voice is witty and humorous, one that will keep the page ...more
Bev
Dec 16, 2008 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story, a combination of humor and pathos. Although the main character could be considered "annoying," I felt as if I was able to get into the head of this thirtysomething alcoholic mother, and I found it to be quite intrgiuing. Some seem to be labeling it as British chick-lit, but I see it as more than that. This woman is in a serious crisis, and the reader witnesses her very real struggle to survive. Very good for a first novel.
Nov 10, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally satisfying chick lit, only better. Brit author Maria Beamont has a funny, real and engaging voice, and for a book about a character who's completely depressed on the eve of her 37th birthday, it's a hilarious read. Love the scathing satire of the other "mums."
Shannon
Apr 26, 2010 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life is about our relationships. They complicate, enrich and fill our lives. Closeness comes with expectations, pain, joy, self reflection, chaous, fear and everything else. In the end, if you don't have relationships, you don't have life.
Gina
Jul 21, 2008 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
While hating my 37 year-old life, this book was sitting at the library so I decided to read about someone else's 37 year old misery. Okay, so I'll admit I'm a closet chick-lit reader. But if you are going to read smut, it may as well be British.
Robyn
May 04, 2013 Robyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
So I was not expecting this book to be as heavy as it was. A woman turning 37 and going through a mid life crisis. I could relate to the nervousness of getting back to work after having children but she really did need professional help and I was surprised at how long it took her friends to recommend it and how she never got any help in the end. What a poor example to the millions of women who suffer from Postpartum Depression. The swearing was a bit much for me as well. Needless to say, lots of ...more
Jay G
May 16, 2014 Jay G rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

This book follows Fran Clark, a 37 year old house wife going through a mid-life crisis.

I did not like this book... I found it extremely slow and I basically had to force myself to finish it. The main character bothered me, the husband was a jack ass and the side characters just pissed me off.

I would not recommend this book!
Tina
Feb 23, 2011 Tina rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I picked up this book in the bargain rack of Chapter's and was thoroughly surprised at just how much I enjoyed it. Was definately funny (especially if you enjoy British humour) and very sad in some parts. The story is about a suburban stay-at-home mom who has lost her way and confidence. A story all mom's can relate to in one way or another.....truly couldn't put the book down.......quick and easy read.
Tiffany
I found some of the things described in the book realistic enough- the mention of postpartum depression, the nasty ubermoms, the absent husband, the lack of confidence after being out of the workforce for so long....but I agree with the others who have reviewed this book. Fran is a pretty pathetic character, and the whole first half of the novel, you just want to slap her silly and tell her to get a grip.
Rebecca
Mar 22, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: self-centered fools with disposable income
Shelves: just-finished
The protagonist of this novel gave me zero reason to give a damn. A fabulously wealthy housewife who feels "lost" because she has the privilege to chuck her career and raise her kids? She compensates for this terrible burden by drinking like a fish. In the end, everything works out perfectly for the spoiled and arrogant drunken rich lady. What a surprise.
Lisa
Jan 23, 2008 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
okay, maybe I chose this book because I'm 37, but I didn't expect to read one of the most DEPRESSING books in a long time!! I didn't particularly like her style, not sure if it was because it was written with a casual British tone with a lot of internal monologues. Fran is a middle-aged (am I?) housewife with severe depression and a drinking problem. Enuf said.
Kelsey Prosser
Sep 23, 2014 Kelsey Prosser rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. A "just okay" sort of read for me. I don't believe it has to do with my being 10years off the mark, because it's not as if I couldn't identify with some of the sentiment or that I couldn't understand the thought process. I just didn't like the main character. It is a decent (if predictable) plot line, but it's hard to love it if you can't fall in with the characters- and I didn't.
Katie
Jan 20, 2012 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely stop reading books. This is one I couldn't even get into enough to struggle through. I found myself irritated at Fran, she is a annoying whiner. The book seemed very cliche and everything Fran did in the first 50 pages just annoyed me. I had to stop reading, which upsets me because I normally love good british books.
Andrea
Jul 12, 2010 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A STAY AT HOME MOM IS HAVING A MID LIFE CRISIS - SHE IS SMOKING AND DRINKING TO EXCESS. HER HUSBAND LEAVES HER. SHE IS FORGETTING THE KIDS AT SCHOOL AND THEIR ACTIVITIES. THE OTHER MOTHERS GOSSIP ABOUT HER. THE STORY IS ABOUT HOW SHE QUITS WINNING AND GETS HER ACT TOGETHER.
Jen
Mar 05, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of predictable. British stay at home mom struggling with her identity -- feels frumpy, lost, losing her hubby and must bounce back to make everything right again. Add in a snobby school and all the back stabbing snobby moms there and you have another "mommy lit" book.
Lashonda
Jan 25, 2016 Lashonda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Once you finally get past about 10-15 chapters, it gets to being a better read. It took me forever to finish this book because the beginning is so slow. All and all, it turned out to be pretty good.
Jun 21, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a little summertime candy when I picked up this book. What I found instead was a terribly annoying main character and a story that has been written before. The portrayal of snobby elementary school culture was funny, however.
Danni
Jan 06, 2013 Danni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dollar tree book. Tried reading it before over a year ago but quit...started over. Hard time getting into it. Didn't like the character but her growth was good. Unfortunately most of the book was her being an idiot. Sigh.
Ringthebells
Feb 06, 2010 Ringthebells rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 star = I disliked this book so much that I couldn't stand to finish reading it, despite the fact that I'd spent five perfectly good dollars on it. I found the narrator completely unlikeable, the writing pedestrian, and the story uninteresting. Oh well!
Jenn
Apr 12, 2014 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very annoying main character.
Colleen Collins
Pretty standard for the genre
Kelly Gallagher
This book is a brit chick lit. It was a quick read and kept me interested.
Foo Wei
Dec 11, 2014 Foo Wei rated it it was ok
hmm, no wonder nobody reads this, really confusing at first, plus it's boring lol
Berit
May 04, 2008 Berit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A roller-coaster of a year! Worth reading for the acknowledgments page alone.
Paula Kolocotronis
JUST GOT IT TODAY FOR A 37BDAY PRESENT TO MYSELF!!!
Docshorty9zoominternet.net
Quick, clever read.

At home moms will relate to Fran and her struggle to hold it all together. Easy read, perfect for summertime.

Heather
Mar 21, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I surprisingly really liked this book. I was expecting it to be cheesy but it was rather humerous with some serious undertones. I really enjoyed it!
Goodreads Librari...: Better photo - Moederland 3 17 Dec 07, 2014 02:46AM
  • Single White E-Mail
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • Woman to Woman
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • The Journal of Mortifying Moments
  • Margarita
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • The Woman He Married (A Magic City Duo Book 1)
  • Lasting Attraction (Cassie, #3)
  • The Pull