Start by marking “Frederick Douglass: Rising Up from Slavery” as Want to Read:
Frederick Douglass: Rising Up from Slavery

Frederick Douglass: Rising Up from Slavery (Sterling Biographies)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  16 reviews
From slave to freedom fighter: that was the long and hard journey taken by Frederick Douglass. Douglass was America’s first great civil rights leader, and he threw off the physical, mental, and legal chains of slavery to become one of America’s greatest champions for human rights. It was said that his life was proof that once black people could read and write about their i ...more
Published February 5th 2008 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Frederick Douglass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frederick Douglass

Sher
Having just finished a book on Abraham Lincoln and slavery, I found this book to be much more enjoyable and understandable than I otherwise would have. The life story of Frederick Douglass is tragic and triumphant. He was a true hero to the people of this country during the pivotal years between 1845 and 1870 or thereabouts. He was so important in the crusade to liberate the slaves both before and after gaining his own freedom. Once that was achieve, he worked tirelessly to help the blacks achie ...more
Mark Kelly
Listened to this book in one sitting (driving) as an audiobook from audible.com. I found it very fascinating. I learned more about the mistreatment of slaves, abolitionist mov't and the wide circles that Douglass ran in and impacted. I'm a history buff and think this is a solid read/listen.
Craig
An interesting look at the life of one of America's most ardent abolitionists. Born a slave in 1818, he suffered under the cruelty of several owners and masters; others were more tolerant and kind. He had a compelling desire to attain his freedom (which he did in his twenties), then to fight for freedom for all blacks. He became a proflic writer and founded his own newspaper (the North Star) which advocated the abolition of slavery and also for women's sufferage. He was a very capable orator, an ...more
Sandy Vaughan
UNABRIDGED
Narrated by Cornelius Jones
PUBLISHER Audible, Inc.

Summary:

"From slave to freedom fighter: that was the long and hard journey taken by Frederick Douglass. Douglass was America's first great civil-rights leader, and he threw off the physical, mental, and legal chains of slavery to become one of America's greatest champions for human rights. It was said that his life was proof that once black people could read and write about their injustices, they would have the power to end slavery.

Fran
Tahir
This book is very informative. But as a young African American child it makes me sad to read stuff like this. To know that people like Fredrick were considered property and were shipped off from place to place like a couch. To know that Fredrick lived this way until he was twenty five sort of stabbed a whole in my heart. It truely made me feel for Fredrick. But it also made me happy to know that after all he had been through he had the courage to fight back. When I read the chapter about fredric ...more
Sandra
Sometimes young-adult books are just fine for getting "the basics."
Se Jun Kim
M. D.
Very informative and educational -- a good read
Joan
Short, informative biography of Frederick Douglass, the first American civil rights leader. Born into slavery, he was determined to educate himself and live as a free man. He escaped from slavery, and rose to national and international prominence as a powerful orator for the abolitionist movement. He exemplified a clear vision of justice and also embraced the cause of women's suffrage and women's rights.
Joni
May 05, 2010 Joni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 4b
I loved this book! It was SO informative and interesting. The pictures were really well-chosen, and they definitely enhanced my understanding of and appreciation for FD's life. He was truly an amazing person. He set a great example for everyone around him and inspired others to stand up for themselves. I would like to mold my own actions after many of his.
Doc
A short, YA biography that provides a good overview of Dougalss's life. The narrator, however, is definitely not a pro. He puts pauses and accents in odd places, so that phrases and sentences often don't "scan."
Leonard
Inaccurate information, such as West Virginia possibly seceding if Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation (hint: WV ain't a state at that time) plagued it, and the narration on the audio book was fairly bad.
Ellen
Middle of the road biography that may be useful to the intended audience of children researching a historical figure and the days of slavery, but I found it a little too simplistic and a bit dull.
Sandy
The biography was good but I wasn't overly thrilled with the narrator. As a history buff I did learn a lot about the time and Douglass that I didn't know.
Brent  Ursenbach
easy read- biography of a great American that was one of the most influential civil rights champions of our Country.
Rohi
I am done with it.It was good reading the book.See my review.
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Suwaskie Smith
Suwaskie Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Bridgette Austin
Bridgette Austin marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Gypsy
Gypsy marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Missyjones
Missyjones marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Sonia
Sonia added it
Sep 07, 2014
Sharvon
Sharvon marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Luc Tutugoro
Luc Tutugoro marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Akshay Chalana
Akshay Chalana marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
D.
D. marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Police Dogs Military Dogs Water Rescue Dogs Meet Roald Dahl Meet Lois Lowry (About the Author)