The Land of the Blue Flower

The Land of the Blue Flower

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The Land of the Blue Flower was not called by that name until the tall, strong, beautiful King Amor came down from his castle on the mountain crag and began to reign. Before that time it was called King Mordreth's Land, and as the first King Mor-dreth had been a fierce and cruel king this seemed a gloomy name...
Published September 30th 2006 by Book Jungle (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The Land of the Blue Flower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land of the Blue Flower

CarolAnn
This is a small, short book about a good king and how he changed his kingdom. This book was only 92 pages long but had a good feel to it. The author is the same author who wrote "The Secret Garden".
Joanna
A small book with the beginning to a story waiting to be expanded. I wish there was more to this story and world. In it's simplicity and shortness, I think it is perfection. It is a small little fable you can read in one sitting and it is worth a read for something light hearted and uplifting.
Polly
This is charming in a very old-fashioned way. Many people may find it a bit cloying (and I do find the children in these illustrations quite revolting), and I'll probably never read it again, but I am happy to have read it once.
Birgit
A short story about happiness and contentment versus fear, anger etc - typical story for children with a moral. I liked Little Lord Fauntleroy and the other "full" stories better. (I love re-reading old children classics)
Rachna
This is a nice little bedtime story about a King and how he changed anger to kindness. A quick read as well
Julia
toothache sweet and overly simplistic -- as I read I kept thinking "No. Nope. Untrue!"
Rhonda Pickens
Like the Lotus Sutra

This is similar to The Lost Prince, in that it captures Buddhist teachings in a very simple and easy format. Skillful means indeed!
Terry
This was my first time reading this short little book, that to me seems an ideal story to read section by section aloud by a Parent or Grandchild to a child in their early 4 - 7 years. It is not a picture book but a book that may impart a simple virtuous message that will last a lifetime.

The Land of The Blue Flower is by no means a chapter book like The Secret Garden or The Little Princess, but it is stellar in it's own way.
Casey Kinson
"When a man looks at the stars, he grows calm and forgets small things. They answer his questions and show him that his earth is only one of the million worlds. Hold your soul still and look upward often, and you will understand their speech. Never forget the stars."
Emkoshka
Written by Frances Hodgson Burnett of The Secret Garden fame in 1908, this is basically Buddhism for children, with its message to be one with nature and let go of anger and ugliness. The illustrations are utterly beautiful, as is the story.
Deborah
Must find the ILLUSTRATED version by Judith Ann Griffith. Her paintings for this story is OUTSTANDING...This is a GREAT story....LOVE IT! This is a book I want ALL MY GRANDCHIDLREN to read at least ONCE in their life.
Caitlinleah
meh. not FHB at her best. I hate the allegory ones. only gets the second star because i finished it. but only finished it because it's so short.
Saralyn
I liked the thought of when you fill your thoughts with something beautiful, you don't have time to think about being angry or afraid.
Sara
This is a sweet story with nice morals. I did not feel like it was particularly interesting nor that it was terribly compelling.
Michelle
This is very much a moral story for children. She didn't focus so much on story as she did morality, hence the three stars.
Heidi Miller
Beautiful little story by the author of The Secret Garden and The Little Princess. Very quick read with a great moral message.
Angelica
Free classic for Kindle on Amazon. Captivating short story. I read it myself and then read it aloud to my girls.
Deborah
One of my all-time FAVORITE children's book. GREAT MORAL MESSAGEs for all of us. Highly recommend to old and young.
Christine
Beautiful book. It can be read in 45 minutes, but leaves you with a happy feeling that lasts much longer.
Nagisa
King Amor is a gentle, good guy, but that will not make a good king in real life.
Bish Denham
This short story by Burnett has an Oscar Wildeish feel to it. Lovely.
Abhishek Pathak
Abhishek Pathak marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Cindy Chapman
Cindy Chapman marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Debra Hostetler
Debra Hostetler marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Lizzyrose
Lizzyrose marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
2041
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup...more
More about Frances Hodgson Burnett...
The Secret Garden A Little Princess Little Lord Fauntleroy Sara Crewe, Or What Happened At Miss Minchin's The Lost Prince

“If you fill your mind with a beautiful thought, there will be no room in it for an ugly one. - King Amor” 7 likes
“When a man is overcome by anger, he has a poisoned fever. He loses his strength, he loses his power over himself and over others. He throws away time in which he might have gained the end he desires. The is no time for anger in the world. - The Ancient One” 6 likes