Start by marking “So Much Reform, So Little Change: The Persistence of Failure in Urban Schools” as Want to Read:
So Much Reform, So Little Change: The Persistence of Failure in Urban Schools

So Much Reform, So Little Change: The Persistence of Failure in Urban Schools

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This frank and courageous book explores the persistence of failure in today s urban schools. At its heart is the argument that most education policy discussions are disconnected from the daily realities of urban schools, especially those in poor and beleaguered neighborhoods. Charles M. Payne argues that we have failed to account fully for the weakness of the social infras ...more
Published April 15th 2008 by Harvard Educational Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about So Much Reform, So Little Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Much Reform, So Little Change

Evelyn
Reading this I felt like I was reading words coming out of my own mouth. Charles Payne really gets it right and by doing so authenticates the experiences of those in the field to an outside, pie-in-the-sky audience. Simply written and recommended to all working in the field of education.
Kristin Sinclair
i'd give this a 3.75. it is a well-written, complex account of why so many reforms have consistently failed to bring about greater "change" in urban public schools (which you probably could have figured out from the title). its based mostly on the chicago consortium work, and centers around the idea of "demoralized schools" and irrational organizational culture at all levels of the education system. the book is heavy on centering the problems around adults - i can imagine this book coming across ...more
Maida
Jul 29, 2009 Maida rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in public education in the US
Shelves: ed-books
This is an extremely thought-provoking and engaging discussion exploring the failure of school reform efforts of the 1990's. Payne's thesis is that because so much reform comes from outside of the school (and district) it, and the people behind it, lack a fundamental understanding of the conditions on the ground. Therefore even the most well-intentioned ideas have no hope of taking hold once they hit actual classrooms.

Based on a number of years' experience as a community organizer and working in
Jessica
A really great book. Payne does a good job of being very objective and honest about what needs to be done and what needs to stop in terms of education and attempts to reform education in America. Perhaps the only possible downside is Payne's inclusion of humorous analogies like "spouting out reforms faster than Baskin Robbins creates flavors." They make the book more entertaining and it feels like more of a conversation than a report of the findings of various studies, but it does also make it s ...more
Joyce Klipsch farrow
The first half of the book was by far the better half.
Lisa
Payne straddles the fence, but sometimes that's not so bad. He helped me realize that the conservative sense of urgency (intended or not) combined with the progressive sense that culture change must precede real progress in schools and takes a lot of time is the right blend. Of course, in Harrisburg, Julie Botel and Jerry Kohn did have that blend. As always, it seems a polarized approach simply won't work, because the fight trumps the mission.
He's also good with analogy and that's helpful for my
Brandon
Somewhat biased since he was my professor at the University of Chicago, but I think Dr. Payne's book about the state of urban education, particularly in Chicago Public Schools, was thorough, thoughtful, well-organized, well-researched, and provocative. Neither foolishly optimistic or solely finger-pointing and cynical, Payne addresses what hasn't worked, what has worked, and what is needed to make it work. A must-read for any educator, education policymaker, or carer of people.
Osborneinri
Superb analysis of why persistently failing schools continue to fail, despite the "best intents" of adults. Payne astutely identifies the myriad ways that adults fail the students in their care -- parents, teachers, administrators. This is a sobering message for those who think that education reform is as easy as snapping one's fingers, firing teachers, or bringing "business sensibilities" to bear on public sector agencies. They too will fail.
A
I've only read excerpts for class, but I enjoyed what I read. I'll admit that I probably liked the book more after hearing Payne speak given that his writing voice is quite similar to the way he addresses a room. His thoughts on school reform are quite interesting though and I am extremely curious to see how they play out in his new role at CPS.
Christina
Payne's book explores the educational needs of urban African-American children and has much wisdom to offer. The chapter on "teaching black children" offended some of my African-American classmates who did not feel it was appropriate to offer a different menu of recommendations for black children than for all kids.
Jamiko
Provides an insightful, yet morbid view into education reform efforts. Essentially Mr. Payne demonstrates that there is not a magic method of reforming the public school, but that it requires leadership, consistency, and time.
Drew
Staggeringly good. A tremendous takedown of the variety of reasons it can feel impossible to turnaround failing schools, examining every level. Payne has a great style as well, making this a very enjoyable read.
A different perspective on school reform, much of it from a sociological (& organizational culture) perspective. I didn't agree with all the conclusions, but it certainly got me thinking.
Che
an excellent, concise review of school reform of late. not terribly detailed, but i really like how Payne organizes and categorizes information.
Emily
May 24, 2012 Emily added it
Last book of my last class with Dr. Duke.
Carly Naughton
Carly Naughton marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Merijke
Merijke marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Nb
Nb added it
Mar 08, 2015
RLL 520 Sharonda
RLL 520 Sharonda marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Rosella
Rosella marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Lilian
Lilian marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Kylle Elizabeth
Kylle Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Sierra
Sierra marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Flat World and Education: How America's Commitment to Equity Will Determine Our Future
  • Ghetto Schooling: A Political Economy of Urban Educational Reform
  • Tinkering Toward Utopia: A Century of Public School Reform
  • Schooling In Capitalist America: Educational Reform And The Contradictions Of Economic Life
  • The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education
  • Whatever It Takes: Geoffrey Canada's Quest to Change Harlem and America
  • Making the Impossible Possible: One Man's Blueprint for Unlocking Your Hidden Potential and Achieving the Extraordinary
  • The Skin That We Speak: Thoughts on Language and Culture in the Classroom
  • Why School?
  • The Power of Their Ideas: Lessons from America from a Small School in Harlem
  • Other People's Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom
  • The Anti-Education Era: Creating Smarter Students through Digital Learning
  • Improbable Scholars: The Rebirth of a Great American School System and a Strategy for America's Schools
  • Subtractive Schooling: U.S.-Mexican Youth and the Politics of Caring
  • The Teaching Gap: Best Ideas from the World's Teachers for Improving Education in the Classroom
  • Leverage Leadership: A Practical Guide to Building Exceptional Schools
  • Everyday Antiracism: Getting Real About Race in School
  • This Is Not A Test: A New Narrative on Race, Class, and Education
Charles M. Payne is the Frank P. Hixon Distinguished Service Professor in the School of Social Service Administration at the University of Chicago, where he is also an affiliate of the Urban Education Institute.
More about Charles M. Payne...
I've Got the Light of Freedom: The Organizing Tradition and the Mississippi Freedom Struggle Teach Freedom: Education for Liberation in the African-American Tradition Getting What We Ask for: The Ambiguity of Success and Failure in Urban Education Groundwork: Local Black Freedom Struggles in America Debating the Civil Rights Movement, 1945 1968