Run Like Jaeger

Run Like Jaeger

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  15 reviews
When Canadian teen Kurt Schreiber goes to Germany to find out what his grandfather did during World War II, he learns more than he bargained for. A lot more. Kurt's opa--grandfather--has never been willing to talk about his time as a German soldier, so Kurt has some deep concerns about what he might have done during the war. He's seen the movies, like Schindler's List, and...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Coteau Books (first published April 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Run Like Jaeger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run Like Jaeger

Ash
I wasn't completely sure what to expect from this book. It was good, but in a different way. I wasn't captivated by the story, but I think that was mostly because I had a lot going on while I was reading this and the book had a steady pace. It didn't have huge climactic moment (although I guess this is debatable), instead you are given information slowly, not giving away everything at once.

Quick overview: Kurt Shreiber is a Canadian boy who's in Germany for an exchange student program. He shar...more
Marsha
This excellent first novel is about a Canadian teen who delves into his German-born grandfather's World War II secrets.

Kurt Schreiber has quizzed his grandfather, also named Kurt Schreiber, about his Nazi past, but his questions have been met with stony silence. Kurt fears that his grandfather may have committed atrocities and this is why he refuses to speak. The teen has recurring nightmares and feels that he must get to the truth for his own peace of mind.

The teen travels to Germany as an exch...more
Carrie Slager
There are many books in the YA genre that deal with World War II, but Run Like Jäger is by far one of the best. Unlike many books, it deals with WWII from a German perspective. Kurt, the protagonist, comes to Germany to learn what happened during the war that made his grandfather so reluctant to talk about it. He does eventually learn the truth and it challenges both him and readers to change their assumptions about WWII Germany.

Kurt is certainly a well-developed, sympathetic character who is sp...more
Allison Diepen
It left me teary-eyed and smiling at the same time -- this is a powerful story about a teen discovering his grandfather's role in WWII.
Nikhil K
Dec 06, 2009 Nikhil K rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens
Shelves: en12
When I first began reading this book I had no idea how well it was going to turn out. The storyline was a little slow getting started. However, after the first few chapters the book became extremely interesting. I can now say that his book is one of the best books I have ever read. The reason this book is so outstanding is becuase of the way it is written. This book is written to catch the attention of teen readers as it focuses on many aspects which teens go through. The story is about a teenag...more
Rivkah
Sydney
Run like jager is not the best book I have ever read it is good for some people but I did not like it that much because I found that I am one of the people who like to learn a small bit about the book and then get right in to the story line but in this book I found that it took to long for me to get in to but when i got close to the end I found that it was a good story line and it got to the point when it finely got started. I liked the ending but I just wish that it had more of a story then jus...more
Tamara
I have read a lot of novels about WWII. It's one of my favourite subjects. What I loved about this book was that it addressed the common man in Germany. The ones who grew up in the Hitler Youth Program, who were apart of the regular army. It addresses how someone could be caught up in Hitler and then become disallusioned. It also addresses how a modern day person can learn about their heritage and how it impacts them. I absolutely loved it. I highly recommend it. And I loved being able to pick u...more
Tiffany
This coming-of-age novel exploring the life of an exchange student learning of his grandfather's past is very interesting. Overall, I was pleased with the book and the tale it told. It was a little slow at times, but that made it more realistic rather than Kurt finding everything out all at once. The metaphor of Kurt running got a little tired at times. The friendship between Wolf and Kurt (younger) is as interesting as much as the telling of Jager and Wolf's friendship during WW2. Very well res...more
Sophia
Mar 08, 2009 Sophia rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sophia by: Librarian
I have to admit: the premise isn't that great. But for some reason, I couldn't put the book down. I wanted to see what would happen next. So I guess you could say it was well written.

There were some really obvious errors that should've been corrected in the editing process ("I thought he was unconsciousness"), but that's forgivable.

The ending was decent. I don't expect a sequel...it wouldn't go anywhere.

So in total, it was okay. That's why it got 2/5.
Ariel
Story concerns a Canadian boy of German background who goes on exchange to Germany, and the implications of what it means to have a family member who was a Nazi. Deals with the entire Nazi dilemma really well, not dumbing it down or painting things in shades of black and white. An extremely well-written book that deals with big issues while still being gripping and entertaining.
Deborah Kerbel
I was very impressed by this debut novel. Karen Bass digs deep into some heavy subject matter and takes the reader on an emotional journey back in time. Strong characters, evocative writing and detailed historical description -- all of which make this book a very worthy addition to your YA bookshelf.
Alexis
Karen Bass tackles a tough subject in her YA book. Her character, Kurt, travels to Germany where he learns that his grandfather was involved in the Hitler youth and Eastern front. This is an interesting, well-researched historical story that taught me a lot about World War 2.
Ang.halverson
I really enjoyed this book. It gave Nazis and WW2 a different spin. I found the book made me hope for a happy ending and had me rooting for the "Nazi". Great quick read.
Kate
Youth trying to understand WWII German grandfathers past. I was just in Germany so kind of interested. But, it felt a little predictable. More like a 2.5.
Jessica Hamlin
Jessica Hamlin marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Kd
Kd added it
Aug 28, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jul 21, 2014
Deejay Jaeger
Deejay Jaeger marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Rawan
Rawan marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Karen's high school teacher told her she should be a writer, but it took quite a few years for that thought to take root. She began writing shortly after she was hired to manage the local library. Run Like Jager is her first novel. Since then she has published Summer of Fire and Drummer Girl, all with Coteau Books. Her newest novel, Graffiti Knight, was released in August 2013 (Pajama Press).

A fou...more
More about Karen Bass...
Drummer Girl Graffiti Knight Summer of Fire The best of Vine Leaves Literary Journal 2012 Indiestructible: Inspiring Stories from the Publishing Jungle