Start by marking “Engaging with the Holy Spirit: Real Questions, Practical Answers” as Want to Read:
Engaging with the Holy Spirit: Real Questions, Practical Answers

Engaging with the Holy Spirit: Real Questions, Practical Answers

Despite the growth of the charismatic movement and Pentecostal churches, people still have questions-and even troubling concerns-about the person and work of the Holy Spirit. These real questions are the burden of this book, which seeks to sequentially address from throughout Scripture six crucial questions that affect a person's relationship to the Spirit:

What is blasphem
Published April 2nd 2008 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Engaging with the Holy Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engaging with the Holy Spirit

Adam Bradley
Oct 31, 2010 Adam Bradley rated it it was ok
Recommended to Adam by: Mark Driscoll
Disappointing, the more so because it came highly recommended by a pastor whom I deeply respect.

Underlying all six of these questions are unspoken primary questions of pneumatology which aren't even articulated, let alone addressed: How does the Spirit's ministry to unbelievers relate to Gospel preaching such that He can be blasphemed or resisted by the unconverted? What is the Spirit's economic role in the Church and the believers' life that we might pray to Him? What is Paul's concept of a nor
Mitch Hamilton
Aug 19, 2014 Mitch Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graham A. Cole presents a solid engagement with the 6 most common questions regarding the Holy Spirit.

-What is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
-How may we resist the Holy Spirit?
-Ought we pray to the Holy Spirit?
-How do we quench the Holy Spirit?
-How do we grieve the Holy Spirit?
-How does the Holy Spirit fill us?

I found this book a helpful foundation for academically (not devotionally) 'Engaging With The [topic of] Holy Spirit'. This work is very well written, and it's structure makes for a c
Jon
Aug 12, 2012 Jon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
This is an excellent work on the Holy Spirit. It is clear, biblical, and persuasive. Focussing on six different questions Cole answers and applies the doctrine of the Holy Spirit. Beginning with the historical evidence, moving to the biblical data, and then bringing it around to practical theology Cole deals with issues surrounding the Holy Spirit in a worthy manner.

If you've got any questions regarding the Holy Spirit, it's role in the world and our lives, then I'd highly recommended this as be
Jeff Bettger
Jun 19, 2011 Jeff Bettger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pneumatology
This is a great short read. It is set up as six common questions about the Holy Spirit, so you can read any chapter you like. It references the reformers and the puritans, mainly Calvin, and Owen showing and expounding on theologies that can afford to be re-tooled a bit. I think this book should be grounding and challenging to uber charismatics, and fundies alike. I recommend referring to it often. I know I will.
Mark A Powell
Jun 05, 2015 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it
This book is adapted from a series of lectures delivered at Oak Hill College in 2006. Cole’s task is to answer important questions about the Holy Spirit. How can He be grieved? How does He fill us? At each question, he reflects on historical beliefs concerning the matter at hand, then offers theological reflection, and draws practical conclusions. Cole’s work is strong for the most part, though perhaps needed expansion during the transition to book format.
Cbarrett
Jan 15, 2011 Cbarrett rated it really liked it
This should be a ready resource for pastors; Cole briefly and adequately tackles six frequently asked questions regarding the Holy Spirit: 1) What is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? 2) How May we resist the Holy Spirit? 3) Ought we to pray to the Holy Spirit? 4) How do we quench the Holy Spirit? 5) How do we grieve the Holy Spirit? 6) How does the Holy Spirit fill us?

Frode
Jun 27, 2009 Frode added it
Short and to the point, the author poses 6 questions about the Holy Spirit and then answers them from Scripture and church history. It's a great book on a mostly neglected person in the Trinity today.
Michael Kidd
Feb 19, 2016 Michael Kidd rated it liked it
A helpful little book. The author is very practical and looks at the text in a clear way. Though I did not agree with all of his hermeneutical conclusions, I always saw how he got there and never felt he was far off base. The six question outline was distinct and helpful.
Matt Mason
Apr 27, 2012 Matt Mason rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Treats several key questions like issues of "the baptism", "blasphemy against", "grieving the Spirit", etc. For a book its size, it gets stuff done.
Jonathan Dunn
Dec 22, 2010 Jonathan Dunn rated it really liked it
Great read. Didn't fully agree with the author's perspective on being filled by the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, it was a very insightful and great doctrinal piece on the Holy Spirit.
Shari
Mar 15, 2012 Shari rated it liked it
Practical answers well written. Helpful for those with questions about grieving the Holy Spirit, how the Spirit fills us, praying to the Holy Spirit, etc.
Benoit Guillot
Feb 23, 2014 Benoit Guillot rated it really liked it
Very good insights on tough questions about the Holy Spirit. Very relevant to our context and faithful to good exegesis of the Scriptures.
Dominic Puccio
Dominic Puccio rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Casey
Casey rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Samuel
Samuel rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2016
Rick Tramel
Rick Tramel rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Lindsay Lewis
Lindsay Lewis rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Andrea Joy
Andrea Joy rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Karl
Karl rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2009
Craig Hurst
Craig Hurst rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Adam Ramsey
Adam Ramsey rated it it was ok
May 29, 2013
Daniel Vojta
Daniel Vojta rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2008
John Darrow
John Darrow rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Kevin Sheth
Kevin Sheth rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Marin Hann
Marin Hann rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
David Goetz
David Goetz rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Floyd
Floyd rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Jonathan Dowds
Jonathan Dowds rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2014