Start by marking “Notes from the Teenage Underground” as Want to Read:
Notes from the Teenage Underground

Notes from the Teenage Underground

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Gem loves movies, her feminist mom, and Dodgy, her coworker in a video store (at least she thinks she loves Dodgy). When a school trip inspires Gem to make an underground film, her best friends Lo and Mira are quick to join the project, taking on the roles of producer and star. The film is intended to cement the girls' friendship as well as their superio ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Notes from the Teenage Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes from the Teenage Underground

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaGraffiti Moon by Cath CrowleyTomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
Favourite Aussie YA books
99th out of 262 books — 783 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenOn the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaLooking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
Best Australian YA Books
90th out of 240 books — 363 voters

More lists with this book...

Mands

Notes from the Teenage Underground by Simmone Howell is one of my favourite reads of 2012 so far. As soon as I read the blurb I knew this was going to be a book that I enjoyed.

Gem Gordon is a fantastic main character, she's a good friend to Mira and Lo (even though they don't treat her as well as they should), she has a great relationship with her mum, Bev. She's into reading and movies and is smart and a little bit awkward.

The story takes place in Melbourne, the girls are in year eleven and Gem
Carly
‘Me, Lo and Mira were like the good things that come in threes: wishes, kings, backup singers.’

What an opening. The first line of this book’s blurb was enough to have me flying through the pages at lightning speed. From the outset I was optimistic about Notes from the Teenage Underground. The premise is great, the narrator instantly likeable, and I can never resist a novel that focuses on teenagers who don’t quite fit in with their peers.

I’m pleased to say that the book doesn’t disappoint. The e
Emily
Jan 29, 2009 Emily added it
Recommends it for: _see in review_
Recommended to Emily by: Goodreads friends
I think this book had many meanings which i though were brilliant although I don't think they are all obvious meanings I think it has different meanings for all. I loved this book and i don't really know why so I am having trouble writing this Review and giving it a rating to be completly honest.

But I do believe most people will like it especially if you fit into one of the following catergories:
-You like to be different and stand out.
-You don't care what people think or try not not to care what
Cathy
This has lots of overlaps with Beige, both have no show, former drug addicted fathers. But Gem is totally different from Beige. Her two best friends and her have paired up against the "barcodes," but Lo and Mira seem to be leaving her out. Gem comes up with the idea to make an Andy Warholish film over the summer, but Lo starts exercizing weird control over it and Mira takes her boyfriend. Gem is left coming to terms with the end of their friendship, making the film she wants to make and getting ...more
Elissa Hoole
I read Howell's second book first, but this was still a great follow-up! An original story, awesome pop culture references from art and film and feminism--exactly the type of book I would have loved as a teen! On top of that, the dialogue is interesting, the characters quirky and yet layered, and the themes in the book are carefully and thoughtfully drawn. I especially like the exploration of the "three girl movie" structure, and Gem's reflections on the power struggles found in a triangle. I ca ...more
Lisa
This was sooooo disappointing. I couldn't get into it at all. I wanted it to be a gem but I was so bored reading it.

The only thing that got it three stars was the last 50 or so pages. I admired the writing at a few parts. I loved her relationship with her father and the "you're not special enough for me" part.

Overall, I personally didn't like it that much.
Lindy
Simone writes for the clever and savvy young adult, a refreshing alternative to pumped out bubble fiction.
The characters each have a unique wit which enables the author to reference some cool and edgy litterary and film classics. Rich and colorful and sometimes shady, like delicously aromatic plum pudding made by grandma.
Cath Crowley
very, very, very, very good.
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
YAY for this book. It was this book, Notes From the Teenage Underground by Simmone Howell that first inspired me to begin my Awesome Women series of posts. But I've been so nervous about writing this review that it's taken me months to put into words how much I adored this book.

Our main character is Gem, short for Germaine Greer the feminist writer that Gem's hippy mom named her after. Together with her besties, Mira and Lo, they've formed this circle of non-conformity. And to cement it, they've
Meg Dunley

I enjoyed this novel of Simone Howell’s. It is the classic struggle of a teenage girl who is in a friendship group of three struggling to find her own sense of identity. Seventeen year old girl, Germaine (Gem or Gem-Gem as she is known by her friends) Gordon struggles to find people who like her and relate to her. She loves movies, her hippy-feminist mother, her friends, Lo and Mira, and her co-worker, Dodgy, (at least she thinks she does) from the video store. The main character Gem is tight wi
Johanna
A fast-paced story set to the backdrop of hippy-feminist mothers, disturbed girlfriends, Andy Warhol, and a whole lot of teenage angst. When we first meet Germaine (Gem) Gordon she laments her fears that she will never live up to her namesake, the mighty Greer, and that she will be forever overshadowed by her two best girlfriends Lo and Mira. The tumultuous triumvirate of girls take great pride in the outsider status that they have cultivated for themselves, relishing every cry of ‘freak’ that c ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jocelyn Pearce for TeensReadToo.com

NOTES FROM THE TEENAGE UNDERGROUND is a fantastic debut novel! It starts out with three best friends, Gem, Lo, and Mira, trying to come up with ideas for their summer project. The summer before was their Satan Summer; they dabbled in all things occult. The summer project has a theme, goals, and guides. This year, they want to do something spectacular; it could be their last summer project--who knows what the future will bring?

Lo is usually the one
Cara Marie
I might've liked this one better if it wasn't just the main character, Gem, who was the likable one in the three-way friendship. Lo was too being different for the sake of being different, the most subversive, but not for any real reason. Mira was kind of a ditz. It was hard to tell what Gem really had in common with either of them, which I suppose is half the point. If M or F? focused on the strength of a friendship, Notes from the Teenage Underground showed the breakdown. Gem's strongest rel ...more
Patrick
Set in Melbourne, Australia, this new novels spins on the axis of an oft-told story about a friendship between a small group of girls falling apart. But the edges — and edginess — of the story kick back any cliché. Gem, Mira, and Lo set themselves apart from others by their dress, their interests, but mostly their commitment to the Ug project. Ug is short for underground, and their holiday project is to create an underground film, similar to Warhol's sixties cinema experiments. While hipsters in ...more
Georgie
This book, after awhile, felt kind of personal- so much so, that when I advised my friend to read she turned it down after the first couple of pages- which left a slight sting.
I don't know what spurred me on in reading this book, possibly sheer perseverance in putting up with the miss matched chapters and the unusual mentality of the teenage mind.
For me, this book did it and didn't do it (hence the three stars) I very much sat on the fence with this one, some aspects were easy to relate to and
Denika Ottley
This book didn't really pull my interest, the beginning was dragged on and had a lot of explaining, so I'm guessing this book is more on the descriptive side. The book wasn't horrible, because the drama in the middle was really interesting and kept me wanting to know what will happen between Gem and Roger (Dodgy), but at the same time, it wasn't really my taste in topic and because of that I found myself skimming through the chapters for the interesting parts or the dialog. I happened to have fi ...more
Andrea
I really enjoyed this book...I thought the characters developed well and I empathised with Gem from the start...teenage agnst who can forget it! I also liked the fact that the boy she fancys, Roger/Dodgy, is not the stud muffin of the school but someone she has something in common with...very refreshing and realistic.

One last point was the fact that although it was clearly set in Oz the author hasn't made a big point of highlighting the cultural differences rather I feel the book works to emphas
Elspeth LaMorte
This book made me feel all moody and wild, but not in a good way. I've marked it as three stars because objectively I can see it as a good book and I enjoyed the references to feminist icons and Andy Warhol.
Good Golly Miss Holly
REVIEW TBC...

INTRO ;; Notes from the Teenage Underground is a wonderfully unique Aussie YA novel that I struggled to connect with at first but eventually found myself flying through to the end.

SUMMARY ;; Gem Gordon wants to make an impact in her final years of high school and with her two best friends - Lo and Mira, she decides to put together an underground film over the holidays.

CLOSER ;; I loved how much this reminded me of the crazy antics from my film-making days. I would love to see many o
Kirsty (overflowing library)
I think I liked it. Another thinker!
Lily
Really great!!!! Loved it!!!!
Robyn Drummond
Amazing. And Gem is someone I can really relate to. Being the girl on the outer edge of the triangle is never fun and can be soul destroying. But after everything, she found herself and didn't need their support. I was just hoping for her to find her romantic partner because lets face it. Dodger? Did not deserve her. But alas. This is not a love story, it is a coming of age and finding yourself story. Which is awesome.
LauraW
I am not very literate when it comes to film - I mostly like them funny and sugary, so the film part of this book sort of passed me by. Luckily, there is a lot more to the book than just that. Specifically, there are some very interesting characters. I guess the plot isn't terribly unusual, but there are quite a few interesting people in the story and that makes it for me. Interesting read.
Samantha
I absolutely loved this book. I found it digging through a box my aunt had given me. It was funny, smart, and I could really relate to the main character. Not only did the book show life for a teenager today, it also explored the feminist movements throughout history and even the work of Andy Warhol.
Emma Louise
One of my favourites in Australian YA Fiction.
Loved this book. Wrapping up 1960's Andy Warhol culture into an Australian Highschool theme was sheer brilliance. Different, and just what I needed.
Refreshing is a good word for it too. Culturally refreshing.
Rachel
Very interesting. Has a nice surreal quality. But there is a lot that goes on and not all of it is resolved. Note some content may not be suitable for all readers.
Crystal
Jun 21, 2009 Crystal rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens, artistic people, if you love andy warhol, hippie enthusiasts, bohemian enthusiats, humans
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a page turner, and I breezed through it. It's a coming of artistic age story, which was relevant to me at the time.
Erika
A good novel about friendship gone awry. Howell is not well known in the United States but this is a solid novel about three friends who grow apart.
Alice
MMM was a bit strange and good as well, was funny, heartbreaking and also romantic, all in all a good book, ill give it 3 stars.
  • Cracked
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Pan's Whisper
  • Raincheck on Timbuktu
  • Swerve
  • This is Shyness (This is Shyness, #1)
  • All This Could End
writer of YA novels Notes from the Teenage Underground, Everything Beautiful and Girl Defective. Currently living in country Victoria, taking long walks, and writing book four.
More about Simmone Howell...
Everything Beautiful Girl Defective