Start by marking “Seven Theories of Religion” as Want to Read:
Seven Theories of Religion

Seven Theories of Religion

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Seven Theories of Religion introduces a sequence of "classic" attempts to explain religion scientifically, presenting each in brief outline and in non-technical language. It considers first the views of E.B. Tylor and James Frazer, two Victorian pioneers in anthropology and the comparative study of religion. It explores the controversial "reductionist" approaches of Freud, ...more
Published August 1st 1996 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published April 18th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Theories of Religion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Theories of Religion

§--
I learned a lot from this book. I was familiar with the more popular (and, interestingly, more stupid) theorists: Marx, Freud, Durkheim. This book introduced me to newer, fresher, and more scientific theorists like Mircea Eliade (thank you for that!), and E.E. Evans-Pritchard (also thank you).

I would give this book to atheists. Not all atheists, just the kind who, know it or not, get their ideas from Marx and Freud. By the end of this book, you cannot take seriously either of their perspectives.
H
Nov 14, 2009 H added it
Shelves: religion
An excessively academic study stifled by its polite rhetoric; half the book is fluffed introduction. Selection of theories & major figures is almost incoherent, jammed together for the sake of the project rather than naturally flowing from the actual impact on major thinkers in the last two centuries. This is one of those highly summary books which gives the illusion of information by its selectivity of main ideas from various sources, but in the end makes no conclusions or syntheses or sign ...more
James Hollomon
This is not a book to read in hopes of discovering a general theory of religion. It is, instead, a wonderful study of why such a one-size-fits-all theory will be difficult if not impossible for cultural anthropologists to construct. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and learned much about the truths the seven great students of human religions unearthed and also the errors that rendered each one's work far from perfect.
Mujib Romadlon
sangat menarik sekali ketika melihat pandangan agama dari berbagai tokoh, katakanlah marx yang mengatakan agama adalah candu, implikasi logis durkheim merupakan fakta dan fenomena sosiologis, agama itu hanyalah ilusi oleh freud dan beberapa tokoh lain pun memakai berbagai pandangan masing-masingnya. dan silahkan anda akan menambahkan subyektifis anda sendiri mengenai agama menurut anda pribadi..
♥ Ibrahim ♥
If you want to compare what different theorists of religion have to say and in such an engaging style, this is a really exciting book. I can't wait till I get to this part about Mircea Eliade.....
Bill
I found this book helpful to my comprehending these seven theorists, especially Durkheim, though friends tell me Pals' reading is "problematic."
Joevarian
I wrote some review about this book on my blog: joehudijana.wordpress.com
Heribertus P
Oct 27, 2007 Heribertus P rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
just stay calm,read carefully..
Rev. Aaron
Rev. Aaron marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Athena
Athena marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Sahar
Sahar marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Matt Beam
Matt Beam marked it as to-read
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Msbookworm
Msbookworm marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Yitzchok Lowy
Yitzchok Lowy marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Destiny
Destiny marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Jim Stout
Jim Stout marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
  • Psychology and Religion
  • God Against the Gods: The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism
  • The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity
  • The Ritual Process: Structure and Anti-Structure
  • Pagan Ways: Finding Your Spirituality in Nature
  • Cleansing the Doors of Perception: The Religious Significance of Entheogenic Plants and Chemicals
  • The Prehistory of the Mind: The Cognitive Origins of Art, Religion and Science
  • The Sacred and the Profane: The Nature of Religion
  • Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast: The Evolutionary Origins of Belief
  • The Sacred Canopy: Elements of a Sociological Theory of Religion
  • Treatise on the Gods
  • The Necessity of Atheism and Other Essays
  • Essential Zen
  • The Jesus Discovery: The New Archaeological Find that Reveals the Birth of Christianity
  • The Elementary Forms of Religious Life
  • Believing in Magic: The Psychology of Superstition
  • The Hebrew Goddess
  • Hindu Goddesses: Visions of the Divine Feminine in the Hindu Religious Tradition
Eight Theories of Religion Introducing Religion: Readings from the Classic Theorists Introducing Religion: Readings from the Classic Theorists Victorian Lives of Jesus (Trinity University monograph series in religion)