Start by marking “Histoire de la sexualité 3. Le Souci de soi” as Want to Read:
Histoire de la sexualité 3. Le Souci de soi

Histoire de la sexualité 3. Le Souci de soi (The History of Sexuality #3)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,612 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Le troisième et dernier volume de l'histoire de la sexualité est consacré à la formation de l'individu telle qu'elle a été développée à travers des textes souvent peu analysés - Artémidore, Galien, le Pseudo-Lucien -, mais déterminants dans la mise en place d'une finalité générale de la culture qui culmine dans l'émergence d'une personnalité singulière, capable de faire le ...more
Paperback, Tel (n° 280), 336 pages
Published February 4th 1997 by Gallimard (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Histoire de la sexualité 3. Le Souci de soi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Histoire de la sexualité 3. Le Souci de soi

Nuno Ribeiro
Neste último volume, Foucault liga toda a história que escreveu até aqui à modernidade, à criação da sexualidade e sexologia - algo que tomamos como certo mas que também é cultural (os termos são muito recentes na história humana).

Surpreende-nos com uma inesperada ligação (feita numa longa e tortuosa transição). A discursificação do cristianismo, que foi tratanto o sexo no confessionário através dos pecados rigorosamente catalogados, onde já as palavra pederastia e pederasta tinham sido herdada
Mohammed Al-Garawi
This book is not about sex and sexuality, it's rather concerned with the discourse about sex and sexuality between the 17th and 20th century. Foucault discusses discretion in the discourse about sexuality and other related aspects, from a psychological/sociological/political point of view.

He first explains The Repressive Theory which claims that the history of sexuality in the past couple of centuries was based on repression. Where sex was considered taboo in case it wasn't for reproduction purp
Oliver Bateman
Jun 21, 2011 Oliver Bateman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing the third volume of this series, I realized that my rating for volume 1 (four stars) was too low. By the end of this book, Foucault's method--much slower-paced and careful than in his previous works--has begun to make sense. Volume 2 wasn't bad, its points were interesting and arranged in a clever way, but it's volume 3--in which MF begins to make a series of subtle points about the changing nature of the conjugal relationship and the propriety of love for adolescent boys--where ...more
Jon Hoffman
Jul 26, 2007 Jon Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Foucault scholars
Shelves: theory
A direct continuation of volume 2. The final section brings the whole project into a bit more clear perspective on how these works connect to modern society, but that was a task he set asside in full for the unfinished fourth volume which he was working on when he died. Still, we can pick up some of the comments previewed throughout volumes 2 and 3 as well as some of his interviews and piece together an interesting ethico-political perspective of the self and and its constitution.
Marie
Before I start, I'd like to warn you that there's a NSFW link in this review: it's the one about Sappho.

Foucault analyzes the importance of self discipline when it comes to sexual relationships and marriage, the normalization of heterosexuality through marriage and the condemnation of homosexuality by greek and by some roman thinkers, argues that a lot of it, though it influenced Christianity is not quite at the same level of banning homosexuality and masturbation. He analyzes the medical and p
Melissa
Both Parts 2 and 3 lack the importance of History of Sexuality Part 1 because of their failure to thoroughly consider Roman and Greek sexuality as separate and the failure to consider female sexuality. History of Sexuality Part 1, though, is one of the important books I have ever read and complete pervades how I conceive of sex, power, and discourse.
أسماء القناص
لي عودة مع هذه المجلدات
Jacob Rabas
Jul 20, 2013 Jacob Rabas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This last volume in the three part series is quite different from the first two. Foucault writes very clearly and makes detailed references. This is perhaps because the complicated epistemological and methodological issues are already developed and discussed in the first two volumes and Foucault is freer to apply his framework. It reads more like a straightforward historical work rather than the more ground-breaking philosophy of Vol. 1 and 2. However, we can see certain unique aspects of Foucau ...more
María
Este tercer volumen se ocupa de un tema antiguo y muy contemporáneo a la vez: la formación del individuo en la experiencia helenística y romana. Foucault reflexiona sobre el cuidado del cuerpo, las reglas del matrimonio, las relaciones con las mujeres y con los otros varones así como la representación del placer y sus usos. Así, para el autor, es en el refinamiento de las artes de vivir y de la inquietud de uno mismo donde se dibujan los preceptos de la reflexión moral médica y filosófica. Y ac ...more
Ralowe Ampu
Mar 29, 2013 Ralowe Ampu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a review of sex and marriage as self-making technologies in the west prior to the cartesian cogito. i've been thinking about this a lot in relation to audre lorde, but i can't isolate a text where she elaborates her idea of individual internal coherence. foucault situates a rich greco-roman tradition in the first two centuries of the west within a system of regulation and governance. this is all vitally instructive, but it wasn't entirely what i was looking for at the moment. this is a classic b ...more
Lawrence
Feb 12, 2014 Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third volume of Foucault’s History of Sexuality charts the changes in discourse from the ancient Greece to imperial Rome. Again examining the three fields of the body, the wife, and boys, he observes a strengthening of principles of sexual austerity. In dietetics, the shift is characterized by broader “correlations between the sexual act and the body” (238) and greater apprehension regarding the ambivalence of its effects. In economics, the conjugal bond becomes dual and reciprocal, and is v ...more
Bsquared
Un ottimo excursus sul periodo romano. La cultura genera la sessualità, cioè conferisce spazio ad un'esogenza sociale e psicologica, e analizzare le modalità con cui si pone la sessualità classica ed i problemi che porta è senza dubbio illuminante.
Peccato non aver potuto leggere una genealogia della sessualità: fermarsi alle porte del medioevo è stato come annusare un piatto e non poterlo gustare.
Mason
Oct 07, 2015 Mason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat plodding resolution to Foucault's expansive analysis of early Western sexuality. Though still insistent on a severe caesura between the sexual ethics of Rome's Golden age and our own, Foucault starts to lay the common thread that will eventually lead to our age's fixation on the exclusive evils of pleasure.
Bradley
Jan 19, 2011 Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would prefer to think that dreams about screwing my mother are not a sign of good fortune around the bend. But then again, I'm not living in Ancient Greek, which means I have internalized the incest taboo passed down by Christian Dogmas for centuries. Whew! I thought I was weird for having those dreams! Turns out I may have a great harvest this season! Yippee!
Nabil Radouane
Aug 12, 2016 Nabil Radouane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: فلسفة
يتحدث كامو في هذا الكتاب عن تاريخ الجنسانية (الجنس) بين القرن 17 و20 ويناقش أيضا الإرتباطات الإجتماعية والسياسية والصراع السلطوي، ناهيك عن مسألة الإهتمام بالذات والفلسفات القديمة حول هذه المسألة، فبالنسبة له الإهتمام بالذات هو وسيلة للإهتمام بالآخر. يتحدث أيضا عنا أفكاره في مسألة السلطة والحكم وقول الصراحة أو الحقيقة ومميزاتها.
Ed
Feb 01, 2014 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was good.

Years ago I read volume one closely and concluded that it was a pretty terrible book, at least the first 80% of it. Now I've recently finished reading volumes 2 and 3, which I found interesting, and conclude that it's a shame the first volume is so bad because I'll bet many readers are dissuaded from reading the remaining two volumes, which are good.
Benjamin
I've found each volume of the trilogy to decrease in it's ability to grip me and want me to devour it- but I still found myself sufficiently interested to not add it to the pile of "books I say I've read because I read most of it". After the kick in the nuts of volume 1, volume three is a slight slap to the ear but even that can grab your attention.
katie
Sep 08, 2013 katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-again
I felt like a lot of it was over my head, or will reveal itself with another reading. I still found it really interesting and expanded my awareness of the worlds of ancient Greece and Rome. Like, the ways that our experiences are still similar or have changed drastically especially in terms of love, pleasure, marriage and sexuality.
Andrew Cutler
Interesting take on how ancient Greek and Roman customs and medical ideas became the source of many of our modern hesitations surrounding sex and the care of the self. Some say Foucault made up a bunch of his references but I like the text and it has some novel ideas.
عبدالله
يشكل على فوكو كونه يبحث في نصوص سابقة وصلتنا تتحدث في ما يود هو البحث فيه
لا أشعر أن هذه النصوص كافية لإتمام باحث كامل عن الجنسانية
وتحليلها وحده لا يشكّل بحثا عن موضوع كبير قد يسبق تكوّنه العصور التي يبحث فيها فوكو .
Mike W.
May 15, 2016 Mike W. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. As a NT scholar, Foucault goes a long way to help situate the sexual ethics one finds in early Christianity (and even beyond). I kept a running list of primary texts that Foucault engages, which should keep me occupied for quite some time.
Darren
Jun 03, 2008 Darren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I imagine the scholarship is unimpeachable. Unfortunately, only a scholar could love this book. Ditto Vol. II
John
Feb 13, 2013 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would have to be much smarter to even consider being able review this book, however those people that are, tell me it is exceedingly good. I trust them and am glad I read it.
Damian
Apr 16, 2008 Damian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned quite a bit from this one.
Much better than Volume 2, for sure.
I'm not feeling like writing a review.
SO I'm not going to.
Christos Tsiailis
Did it at Uni, I have the opinions of a student summarising and quoting, but it still attracted my attention.
Daniele Palmieri
Oct 21, 2015 Daniele Palmieri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insieme ai testi di Hadot, lettura fondamentale per recuperare quella filosofia che può curare i mali dell'animo.
Zacharygs
Dec 03, 2013 Zacharygs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic work of social history, very much in line with Vol 2. It truly is a shame he died before moving on to the analysis of Christian sexual asceticism.
Alex Rosenberg
Alex Rosenberg rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2012
Rodger Kroell
Rodger Kroell rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Albertine
Albertine rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2007
  • Foucault
  • Michel Foucault: Beyond Structuralism and Hermeneutics
  • Limited Inc
  • Saint Foucault: Towards a Gay Hagiography
  • Bodies That Matter: On the Discursive Limits of "Sex"
  • The Ticklish Subject: The Absent Centre of Political Ontology
  • The Accursed Share 2-3: The History of Eroticism and Sovereignty
  • Epistemology of the Closet
  • Metapolitics
  • Philosophy in a Time of Terror: Dialogues with Jürgen Habermas and Jacques Derrida
  • Forget Foucault (Foreign Agents) (Semiotext(e) / Foreign Agents)
  • The Passion of Michel Foucault
Michel Foucault was a French philosopher, social theorist and historian of ideas. He held a chair at the Collège de France with the title "History of Systems of Thought," and lectured at the University at Buffalo and the University of California, Berkeley.

Foucault is best known for his critical studies of social institutions, most notably psychiatry, medicine, the human sciences and the prison sys
More about Michel Foucault...

The History of Sexuality (3 books)
  • The History of Sexuality, Volume 1: An Introduction
  • The History of Sexuality, Volume 2: The Use of Pleasure

“Nature, keeping only useless secrets, had placed within reach and in sight of human beings the things it was necessary for them to know.” 12 likes