Start by marking “Eden Project: In Search of the Magical Other (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 79)” as Want to Read:

Eden Project: In Search of the Magical Other (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts #79)

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"The author's challenge is compassionate and inspired. He wants us to succeed." -Psychological Perspectives A timely and thought-provoking corrective to the generalized fantasies about relationships that permeate Western culture. Here is a challenge to greater personal responsibility, a call for individual growth as opposed to seeking rescue through others.
Published September 1st 1998 by Inner City Books

To ask other readers questions about Eden Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden Project

The Power of Myth by Joseph CampbellThe Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph CampbellThe Selfish Gene by Richard DawkinsThe Man Without Qualities by Robert MusilWhat's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char Love
How we see the world
21st out of 171 books — 60 voters
1984 by George OrwellGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittMan's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
Best Books To Frame Thinking
446th out of 487 books — 427 voters

More lists with this book...

Barb Roddy
An accurate understanding of what love isn't. There is no magical other. Young girls will resist his message, older women will recognize it as true.
Michael Rusk
The book took me a long time to read. It is deceptively small but packs so much thought provoking material into its pages sometimes I would find myself backing up and rereading a page or two to absorb the full impact of a statement.

"A Jungian Perspective on Relationship" intimidated me. My only class in Psychology was all about Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung was not mentioned. It's a shame. After reading this book I have a new interest in reading more of his original writing. A friend has suggested
Sandy
Dec 24, 2013 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all therapists
Recommended to Sandy by: James Hollis
How can Hollis be thanked for such an eye-opening, profound book? I'm grateful for what I learned in this excellent book.
Heather Buelow
Basic principles of this book that I feel most adults already know:
1. There is no Disney reality of love or soulmate. Relationships are ongoing decisions.
2. Past relationships affect future relationships, and early relationships (ie parent/child) are most likely to be formative.

Wish the book weren't written so esoterically for such basic ideas. The takeaway message is simply: figure out what past experiences are shaping your current ones so that you can live more freely in the present.

I agree wi
Bruce
"If there is a single idea which permeates this essay it is that quality of all our relationships is a direct function of our relationship to ourselves.....The best thing we can do for our relationship with others is to to render our relationship to ourselves more conscious." Fair enough. Hollis takes it many steps forward by advocating a "disinterested" type of love, as oppposed to anything that might smack of idealized romanticism. Idiosyncratic yet somewhat compelling. Interestingly, he twice ...more
Maria Cherkas
One of the best psychological books I've read devoted to relationships and what we really strive for. Highly recommended.
Paul Sbrizzi
A rich and detailed and explanation of how complexes arising from our childhood traumas and the basic experience of separation from mother get played out in our adult relationships. The author is a renowned Jungian scholar and analyst, and uses quotations from poetry and literature to cast light on his thoughts.
Ricky
An excellent book on the dynamics involved in intimate relationships. I know of none better. It looks at the nature of projection and the importance of relationships in our attempts to grow. It can be challenging and insightful to help you separate yourself from the "magical other" so you can be true to yourself.
Nern
Jungian psycho-emotional essay about our lifelong quest to return to the state of connectedness we felt in a uterus, and how that sends us into misguided romantic relationships searching for our "magical other". Have fun.
Robert Finlay
This book is a fascinating "Awakening" and may save me from myself. More later, 1/2 read. Already know I must read it more than once to understand it better, perhaps never fully.
Ron
I've taken courses by him at the Jung Center in Houston, and he's a great mind and teacher. This book talks about the rough but enlightening road of accepting another's other-ness.
Lily
The perfect compliment to Mark Epstein's book. Reading this one alone can feel sobering and desolate. Open to Desire puts the joy back in. Fascinating theories though.
Carol
Another valuable contribution, this time from a Jungian perspective, on the importance of differentiation in long term relationships
Trish
Theoretical book about how our ego and our childhood affects our relationships.
Olga Kouchnirenko
Olga Kouchnirenko marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Nancy Attoh
Nancy Attoh is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2015
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Jacinthe Ricard
Jacinthe Ricard marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Jordan Olischefski
Jordan Olischefski is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Fouad
Fouad marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Minamanjari
Minamanjari marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Eloise Raab
Eloise Raab marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Flynn Rider
Flynn Rider marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
WaitingToFade
WaitingToFade marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Svetlana
Svetlana marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
  • The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter: Obesity, Anorexia Nervosa, and the Repressed Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 4)
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction
  • Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World
  • The Feminine in Fairy Tales
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • The Heroine's Journey: Woman's Quest for Wholeness
  • The Wounded Woman: Healing the Father-Daughter Relationship
  • Jung on Active Imagination
  • Grown-Up Marriage: What We Know, Wish We Had Known, and Still Need to Know About Being Married
  • Carl Jung: Wounded Healer of the Soul: An Illustrated Biography
  • The Dream and the Underworld
  • Inner Gold
  • Amor and Psyche: The Psychic Development of the Feminine
  • An Adult Child's Guide to What's Normal
James Hollis, Ph. D. is Executive Director of the Jung Center of Houston, TX, a practicing Jungian Analyst (psychotherapy developed by C.G. Jung - the eminent Swiss psychiatrist), and author of eleven books.
More about James Hollis...

Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • World Weary Woman: Her Wound and Transformation
  • Alcoholism and Women: The Background and the Psychology
  • Close Relationships: Family, Friendship, Marriage (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 57)
  • The Mother: Archetypal Image in Fairytales (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 34)
  • The Archetype of Renewal: Psychological Reflections on the Aging, Death and Rebirth of the King (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 104)
  • The Dream Story (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 44)
  • Eros and Pathos: Shades of Love and Suffering (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 40)
  • The Spiral Way: A Woman's Healing Journey
  • Vertical Labyrinth: Individuation in Jungian Psychology (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 20)
  • Visions in the Night: Jungian and Ancient Dream Interpretation (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 91)
Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life: How to Finally, Really Grow Up The Middle Passage: From Misery to Meaning in Midlife (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 59) Why Good People Do Bad Things: Understanding Our Darker Selves What Matters Most: Living a More Considered Life Swamplands of the Soul: New Life in Dismal Places (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 73)

“When one has let go of that great hidden agenda that drives humanity and its varied histories, then one can begin to encounter the immensity of one's own soul. If we are courageous enough to say, "Not this person, nor any other, can ultimately give me what I want; only I can," then we are free to celebrate a relationship for what it can give.” 16 likes
“The search for fusion regularly gives rise to various symptoms. Our own psyche knows what is right for us, knows what is developmentally demanded. When we use the Other to avoid our own task, we may be able to fool ourselves for awhile, but the soul will not be mocked. It will express its protest in physical ailments, activated complexes and disturbing dreams. The soul wishes its fullest expression; it is here, as Rumi expressed it, 'for its own joy.'
Let's continue the fantasy of finding an Other willing to carry our individuation task for us. Well, in time, that Other would grow to resent us, even though he or she was a willing signatory to the silent contract. That resentment would leak into the relationship and corrode it. No one is angrier that someone doing 'the right thing' and secretly wishing for something else.”
8 likes