Start by marking “Back To Eden ” as Want to Read:
Back To Eden

Back To Eden

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Now in its expanded, updated revised edition, this is the original classic text (with more than 5-million copies sold) that helped create the natural foods industry. It remains today one of the major texts on herbs, natural diet and lifestyle and holistic health.
Published January 1st 1997 by Lotus Press (WI) (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Back To Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back To Eden

DJ Harris
May 06, 2013 DJ Harris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to DJ by: Nora Edwards
Jehtro Kloss was a great healer. He dedicated his life to learning, and teaching, about; nutrition, personal rights, freedoms, and herbalism. This incredible book was a compulation of his life's work.

I love this book! Use it all the time. A close friend entrusted it to me and I make good use of it. If you want to find out about natural herbs and remedies for various ailments, this book has a wealth of information. Inside the pages of this masterpiece Jehtro Kloss even discusses his personal lif...more
Kate Christensen
I liked this book. I felt like it was well worth the effort to get through. However, I feel that to get the most out of Kloss' book, you need to find one that was published while he was alive. There are revisions in here that are appalling. Things that he preached against have been put in by editors or his kids or whoever to make it seem like he believed in it (ie vaccinations). Some things are obvious, but others aren't. I plan on finding an older copy for myself.
Erin ~ (It's October, time for creepy books)
(Also posted on my site The Paperback Stash)

Jethro Kloss was a true healer and crusader for nutrition, personal rights, freedoms, and herbalism. This huge book was his biggest work and deserves to be celebrated for what it is: a lifetime gathering of intense study and dedication to the good of man. And why, yes, I DO live to sound dramatic.

He discusses everything he can think of here. While some of his viewpoints and procedures are now frowned upon - and a few of the herbal remedies taken to the...more
Tyshawn Knight
If you are knew to herbal cooking, healthy cooking, gardening, healing yourself then you must begin your journey to healthy living with this book. Consider it America's herb Bible. You will want to buy this and keep it in your library because you will have to refer to it often. In fact, I am on my third copy. I bought my first copy in 1989 and I still have ripped cover on my third copy because I use it so much.
Pamela Kemp
Back to Eden is often referred to as the bible or herbal medicine. It is a must have for anyone interested in gardening and the healing properties of plants. I never finish reading this book because I refer to it over and over again.
Doug
A must read for anyone interested in natural health. Especially important for western/eclectic herbalists. Even though i doubt I'll ever agree with him about soy it was amazing how much Jethro intuitively new.
K
This obviously isn't a book that you would read through as if it were a novel, but it is an amazing source of information for those who are just a TINY bit leery of the side affects of modern medicine.
Kirsty
Apr 09, 2009 Kirsty is currently reading it
This is very interesting so far... I like how he tries to work with the body to heal using diet, baths and massage, and Herbs (in that order), but I'm only two chapters into it soo....
Jared Collier
Nov 04, 2009 Jared Collier is currently reading it
this book is very helpful in telling you how to eat, how to prepare it, how to treat illness, etc... I would advise anyone to read this book, but beware it is a very rare book.
Annie
This book is fabulous! A must read for anyone wanting to learn the truth about foods, or looking for an introduction into herbal medicine?
Sky
this is a book that makes me want to walk up to people and start shacking them while I yell "How come we've forgotten how to be humans?!"
Jenni Wilson
Great do-it-yourself health information. Some of it's probably a little outdated, but it's still a great reference.
Peter
Sep 02, 2008 Peter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all responsible teens & adults
Recommended to Peter by: My sister
The edition I read & used was earlier than this one ( the 70's or 80's ? ) It is amazing for anyone who want's to understand more about specific health-giving properties of natural foods or use natural remedies & foods to improve their health, or overcome a long list of illnesses.

Using a diet of natural / fresh foods high in sulfur,I managed to clear up a girlfriend's serious case of acne in just one week !
Michelle  Eging
Very resourceful book. Since reading it, I've been more conscientious about what I eat and have been using herbs to heal my body rather than manufactured chemicals. The only reason I didn't give it 5 starts is that it's kinda like reading an encyclopedia, which can get tedious. I'm happy I persevered though, as the information in the last chapter was just as useful as that in the first.
Ginger
Feb 24, 2010 Ginger rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in frugal natural healing
Recommended to Ginger by: The School of Natural Healing
I liked this one. This time through I read it quickly and didn't take notes. I will definitely sit down and gleen what I can from this man. I can see where Dr. Christopher got his writing style, since this book read very much like one of DC's. He was one to work on a problem with what he had on hand. His advise on food is interesting, but I'm not sure what I think about it yet. Good read.
Ludmirska
Surprising absence of reference to vinegar, other than in an article on pickles...

Also, this book was written before gluten or other allergies came into picture...

Love chapters on herbs, though recipes chapter left me unmoved, it did not seem very practical or relevant for today, 71 years since the original copyright date...
Mylinda
Read this in connection to a correspondence course on herbal education that I am taking. Interesting that the author knew about the health problems relating to processed food in the early part of the 1900s when it seems like it is a "new discovery" by current authors decrying the same today.
Jennifer LovesBooks
THIS BOOK IS INCREDIBLE. I HAVE TRIED SOME OF THE SUGGESTIONS IN THE BOOK AND EVERY ONE I HAVE TRIED HAS WORKED. THIS GOES TO SHOW THAT MEDICINE CAN BE POISON TO THE BODY. THE BODY IS INCREDIBLE. WE JUST NED TO TAKE BETTER CARE OF IT AND USE THE RIGHT METHODS TO CURE IT.
Theresa
This is for my correspondence class with Susun Weed. It's known as a classic of heroic medicine. My mother's father used it and my mother had a copy when I was growing. I remember looking at the illustration of a fish with a tumor and deciding to go vegetarian.
Stacy Crandall
This is similar to Culpepper's Complete Herbal. Jethro Kloss is a more recent figure than Culpepper and this edition includes lengthy letters from his three children, giving insight into the author and what life was like living with him.
captain america
lots of budding veggie hippies read this book back in the 60s & 70s. a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, especially ideas from crackpot health food pioneers.
Jim
Dec 22, 2008 Jim is currently reading it
Great information about nutrition, natural remedies, herbs, and good health stuff. It did not however, make me come up with a better word than "stuff" to describe it.
Jim George
This book was written way before infomercials, juicers, smoothies, health clubs and the like came into being. Informative in a 1960s kind of way!
Marianne Ogden
This is a timeless resource for home remedies. I'm glad these have been written down. I actually tried some of them myself and they do work.
Stina
Home remedies for everything, with biblical references included!
Laura Peterson
I've read bits and pieces...good info, just lots of it!
Mike Gehrs
The book that started my health journey...1977
Carly
Excellent reference book to have
Amy
This book is like my herb bible.
Priscilla
I love this book! I keep it handy as a reference. A must read for natural healers,those looking for natural remedies,and to learn about herbs.
  • Culpeper's Complete Herbal
  • The Green Pharmacy
  • The Way of Herbs
  • How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor
  • The Herb Book: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to More Than 500 Herbs
  • The Yoga of Herbs: An Ayurvedic Guide to Herbal Medicine
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine
  • Easy Granola Bar Recipe
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal: A Guide to Living Life with Energy, Health, and Vitality
  • Your Body's Many Cries for Water: You Are Not Sick, You Are Thirsty!  Don't treat thirst with medications; A Preventive and Self-Education Manual for Those Who Prefer to Adhere to the Logic of the Natural and the Simple in Medicine
  • Edible Wild Plants: Wild Foods from Dirt to Plate
  • Healing Wise (Wise Woman Herbal Series)
  • Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
Best known for his best-selling herbal Back to Eden, Jethro Kloss was one of America's earliest and most creative soyfoods pioneers.

In 1935, while living in Takoma Park, Washington, D.C., after several decades of studying and writing, Kloss published the first edition of what was to become his magnum opus, Back to Eden. A revised and geatly expanded edition was published in 1939. This edition bec...more
More about Jethro Kloss...
Back to Eden: Healthy Herbs (Back to Eden) Back to Eden Cookbook Back to Eden: Healthy Foods (Back to Eden) Back to Eden: The Classic Guide to Herbal Medicine, Natural Foods, and Home Remedies since 1939 (Golden Anniversary Edition) Back to Eden