Lavender Road (London at War)

Lavender Road (London at War)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  16 reviews
‘Unputdownable!’ Western Telegraph
‘A sparkling bit of storytelling.’ Evening Standard

Opening in September 1939 at the beginning of the Second World War, Lavender Road follows the lives of a number of people who live in one South London street through the first year of hostilities.
Lavender Road, set between Lavender Hill and Clapham Common, boasts a pub, two rows of terrace...more
Published February 9th 1995 by Orion Publishing Co

To ask other readers questions about Lavender Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lavender Road

Viviane Crystal
Most war stories hit on a major love story and major battle scenes. Helen Carey has tapped into the very fiber of English life in the days preceding the bombing of England during WWII and during the actual bombing. The story centers on several families who have all the ups and downs of real life but who forge on with that gritty, strong English attitude. They appear together but bleed internally like every human being.

We begin with Jen Carter who wants to be an actress but has no training, just...more
Jean
This is the first of three novels by Helen Carey tracing the lives of certain residents living in Lavender Road,Clapham and is set in the early years of the war. It paints a fascinating and accurate picture of what it must have been like to have lived in those difficult days. The only inaccuracy in the book has to do with the date of a song. Jen aspires to be a professional actress and singer and sings "The White Cliffs of Dover" (published 1941) at an impromptu concert. As the concert took plac...more
Rosemary Beazley
I loved this book! I was born in the late 1920's , lived through WW2 and saw and experienced some of the things that Helen Carey so lovingly, and expertly portrays in her books. The story brought back vivid memories and emotions to me (and a lot of my friends - of a similar vintage!! - have said the same having read the series)as well as being, in it's own right, a really well paced and wholly compelling book. I couldn't wait to get on with the other 2!
Noelle Clark
Quirky, believable characters and the naughty ones are most likeable. Faithfully set in the early days of World War Two, this story weaves the horror of impending war on the citizens of London, with the lives of everyday people. It shows their vulnerability, and their stoicism. A very enjoyable read, memorable storyline and characters.Helen Carey
Kathleen

One of the best books I have read in a long time. I laughed and cried and didn't want it to end.
Linda
I really enjoyed this story of several women of different economics during WW2.
Marc Mordey
I loved it - my fourth time of reading this marvellous story. My reading of the Lavender Road series has been further enhanced by reading the wartime diaries produced by May Hill, and the London Blitz diary account which Victoria Warshuk has produced...The three books in Helen Carey's series, that commences with Lavender Road, are stuffed full of strong characters, and an excellent and compelling story line, coupled with a well researched knowledge of World War 2 history. And capacity for humour...more
Claire
I must confess to not knowing much about the social history of WW2 but this certainly painted a picture for me that seemed realistic and informative. The characters were diverse and interesting and their various stories were woven together very well. It is certainly one of those books that you just have to finish - what ever the hour! I was disappointed that the end came so quickly but delighted to find that this was the first of a trilogy! The second and third books got downloaded straight away...more
Marta Bishop
When reading Lavender Road, by Helen Carey, I was drawn into London during the beginning of WWII. With the backdrop of the threat of war with Hitler looming, we meet a cast of characters who could have lived and loved in any era, but particularly in the late 1930’s – early 1940’s. Although, it takes place before I was born, I was able to fully visualize the fear, angst, heartache, and determination of both her characters and the era.

It is a rare book that can draw one so completely into a period...more
Josie Glynn
David Lowther
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Lavender Road. It was set in the Clapham area of South West London in the period just before and during the first year of the Second World War.

The story followed the fortunes of a vast array of interesting characters, all of them well-drawn, ranging from the local wealthy businessman and his privileged family to the down-at-heel working class family with father and son both in prison.

Their paths do, of course, cross and it is the switching between following each of t...more
Ali
Entertaining!

Entertaining!

Reading Lavender Road was like listening to my Nan tell her stories about surviving WW2 in Great Britain. The hardship and courage of the characters in this book kept me enthralled.
Michael Cayley
This is the first of a trilogy of novels set in South London during WW2. Among the central characters are the battered wife of a criminal, the brow-beaten wife of a businessman, and two fairly naive young women who have to come to terms with the nasty side of life, one from a well-off family, the other from a family struggling to make ends meet. The story is fairly slow-paced but full of atmosphere. I really enjoyed it.
Melinda
A light book in WWII genre.
Anna Othitis
The title alone gives you the incense of the Lavender to follow and read a lovely well written book fully recommended with amazing flow. Great read
Paula Oliveira
Paula Oliveira marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jamie Lynn
Jamie Lynn marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Katie Beitz
Katie Beitz marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Annapoorni
Annapoorni marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sisterhood of the...: Lavender Road, by Helen Carey 4 9 Nov 11, 2013 09:29AM
I am best known for my London wartime books, Lavender Road, Some Sunny Day and On a Wing and a Prayer (originally published by Orion and now available as eBooks), but I have recently enjoyed writing a crime adventure, Slick Deals, which is set against the oil industry. It features the chic city girl Ella Crossley who is forced to join forces with a scruffy laid back American environmentalist Nick...more
More about Helen Carey...
Some Sunny Day On a Wing and a Prayer (London at War) Slick deals The Art of Loving