Start by marking “Project Pope” as Want to Read:
Project Pope

Project Pope

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  439 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The return of Simak's favorite themes--including esp, robots & religion--in a thoughtful, gentle, delightfully original treatment. On the remote planet End of Nothing, a colony of advanced robots has established project Vatican-17: the building of an infallible computerized pope whose accumulated wisdom will eventually create a truly universal religion. Gathering data ...more
Unknown Binding, book club, 311 pages
Published March 1st 1981 by Del Rey (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Project Pope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Project Pope

Mark
Mar 08, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Simak's books have such a gentle folksy voice, as if Prairie Home Companion decided to write science fiction. In Project Pope a group of robots have started a research project Vatican-17 to synthesize a single true religion, but over the centuries the research has grown in importance while the religious side has become, not exactly less important but less urgent. Then one of the human psychic researchers claims she has found heaven, threatening a schism between the more and less fervent factions ...more
Joe Santoro
May 17, 2015 Joe Santoro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social_sf
I LOVE the cover.. it totally grabbed me, and then I saw it was Clifford Simak, and I couldn't resist. The story revolves around to lost souls of sorts, one, Tennyson, a Doctor on the run from a political upheaval on his planet, the other, Jill, a reporter looking for the story of her life. They both go to End of Nothing, a planet were a colony of robots and humans that are trying to find the one true religion.. the one robots can get behind. Their city is call Vatican, but they're not necessari ...more
Richard
Oct 06, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely book based on an amusing premise. Not much to say but that I loved it to bits when I read it. And re-read it a couple of years later. Also, one of the few paperback SF books that I have retained in my library, carefully secured in a box (with others in the garage) from which I will someday extract it to read again. Or maybe I'll see if it's out in EPUB yet. Definitely this should be on the required reading list for anyone majoring in Sci Fi.
Chadwick
Dec 28, 2007 Chadwick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gentle suckers
For some reason I just find this book darling. Simak suffers from all of the weaknesses of his generation of SF writers. The characters are paper mache. There is a lumbering charge through the storytelling to reach the ideas as quickly as possible. His voice has a certain folksy Wisconsin charm to it, and when he's writing about robots in monks' vestments tending roses, there's a certain wacky beauty there that I find really pleasing.
Jeff
Jan 01, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Dr Who-ish. Great premise and set-up, but the ending was sort of lousy. The book just sort of ended.
Brian
Jan 23, 2008 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: overtired brainworkers
My science-addled brain cannot handle too much serious reading these days, but good scifi like this is okay. This is another case of "don't judge a book by its cover (or title)", which is especially true of speculative science fiction. This book offers some interesting speculation on the nature of religion and its relation to actual information. It is set about 1,000 or so years after sentient robots have decided to create a universal religion by gathering information and putting it into a super ...more
Matthew
Jul 15, 2013 Matthew rated it liked it
With a title like Project Pope, I was expecting Simak to craft an intriguing science fiction tale. Certainly, in the end there are some very interesting aspects that the author broaches. However, I was quite disappointed that there wasn't a substantial, in-depth discussion on any religious principles. I thought that the book would cover how machines approach religion, and more adequately peruse questions like, "Do robots have a soul?" and "Are robots capable of love, and if not, can they truly p ...more
David C. Mueller
This novel is set in the far future where sentient robots live an equals alongside their human creators. On an planet named End of Nothing near the edge of the galaxy, a joint human-robot society called Vatican-17 has striven for centuries to create an artificial intelligence with the knowledge, wisdom, and infallibility approaching that of a Deity. The story follows a human medical doctor arriving at End of Nothing to serve as Vatican-17's new physician. He encounters not only the computerized ...more
Amanda Dusold
Interesting window dressing leaves unsatisfying taste when it focuses more on uninteresting characters. There's clever bits of writing here but in the end, I came away with more questions then answers. The human characters take away from the most interesting bits which are the relationships between the robots, the pope, and the concept of humanity between them.
Mark Edlund
Feb 01, 2014 Mark Edlund rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Science Fiction
So what if robots started their own Vatican on another planet and discovered Heaven? An interesting, if a bit overblown, philosophical discussion. Not that visionary and no real resolution to the idea.
No Canadian references
Wheeler
Project Pope, while enjoyable, plods all the way to its final moments, which plods itself.
Robots are looking for the gods, or God, and have a computer to do the searching. A couple of humans bumble in, have some adventures, there’s some intrigue. Unfortunately, a good portion of the book is padding. Entertaining padding, but padding nevertheless.
Manua
Jun 17, 2013 Manua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Questo romanzo è ambientato in un pianeta ai confini della galassia, colonizzato da robot senzienti che vi hanno fondato Vatican-17, una loro personale rivisitazione di cristianesimo atta alla ricerca della verità ultima, piuttosto che a una fede cieca e immobile. Su questo pianeta, arrivano i nostri protagonisti, per ragioni diverse, ma si ritrovano irrimediabilmente affascinati dalla ricerca della verità perseguita dai robot...

Robot: Check
Esseri alieni NON antropomorfi: check
Esseri alieni an
Michael
Jul 30, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very gentle story with a nice, even pacing. No real antagonist but plenty of plot and conflict regardless.
Jack
Nov 23, 2015 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My comments at the time I read this was "very good and really droll".
Thomas Buryiak
Feb 05, 2016 Thomas Buryiak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.
John
May 07, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1983 grade C+
Jim Hoff
Jul 07, 2015 Jim Hoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clifford D. Simak's tale about robots and a robot pope trying to find God is compelling. Set near the edge of the galaxy on a planet known as "The End of Nothing", it revolves around not only the robots, but also two human visitors who get caught up in events. I found it's large scale events and ideas very interesting.
Ravena
Sep 16, 2009 Ravena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet and wacky classic intergalactic science fiction. A warm fuzzy read, really, with robots and people and aliens and religion. I loved the plot, though found the dialogue to be a tad hackneyed at times. Really thoroughly pleasant read though.
Jonathan
Aug 23, 2013 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Found in a used book shop I was enthralled. Each chapter gets stranger and stranger. I remember saying "it can't get weirder" only to be proven wrong. A fun book to read!
Erik Graff
Feb 22, 2012 Erik Graff rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Simak fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
While it's "delightful" like the Kirkus reviewer says, the lack of any very serious treatment of religious and/or philosophical themes was a disappointment.
Kurt
Jan 20, 2016 Kurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoy thinking about the role of religion in a science fiction setting. This book certainly satisfied that interest.
Garden Gal
Jan 06, 2013 Garden Gal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have time to kill
Didn't really fulfill the premise it set out.

But looking at the concept as a parallel to writing process it almost works.
Nicholas
Jul 01, 2013 Nicholas rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
I typically liked the characters and their concepts, but I'm not as sure about the plot or this idea that there is one answer.
Charles
Aug 01, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Not a slam bang action book but very thoughtful and with a lot of interesting philosophy. I enjoyed it.
Miroslav Mihov
Feb 12, 2015 Miroslav Mihov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Не е лоша, логично има малко повече религия и философия, но и достатъчно смахната фантастика.
Francis Jan
Nice but not as philosophical as its title seems to me.
Greg
Oct 02, 2013 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as other Simak books but not a bad read.
Fishsanwitt
  • The Enemy Stars
  • The Butterfly Kid
  • Day of the Minotaur
  • Courtship Rite
  • Star Light (Mesklin, #3)
  • Davy
  • Time Storm
  • Dark Universe
  • Fun with Your New Head
  • Brain Twister
"He was honored by fans with three Hugo awards and by colleagues with one Nebula award and was named the third Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) in 1977." (Wikipedia)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford...
More about Clifford D. Simak...