Start by marking “Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift Sr, #10)” as Want to Read:
Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift Sr, #10)
Read Book* *Different edition

Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift #10)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  8 reviews
American boys' fiction under pseudonym used by the Stratemeyer Syndicate who produced Tom Swift series, Nancy Drew mysteries, the Hardy Boys, Dave Fearless and many others.
Published July 7th 2006 by Dodo Press (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle

Nathan Gregory
I see several reviewers making statements of outrage over this book. I feel the need to chime in with a couple of comments. First, the book was written in 1911. Societal sensibilities were VERY different then than today. Over the top feigned outrage over things deemed unacceptable by today's hypersensitive generation perhaps say more about the weakness and foibles of the current generation than that of years gone by. If you are not able to at least momentarily wear the garb of the early 1900's a ...more
Robert McCarroll
I picked up this book in an attempt to find some inspiration, or at least something to throw out a reference to. It had the advantage of being old enough to be solidly public domain.

This book did not age well.

I don't know what the market for Young Adult Literature was like in 1911, but if an Indie Writer brought this to me today for a beta read or review, I'd flat out tell them "You have to start over from scratch".

I can't review this with 'in-period' sensibilities because I'm a hundred years to
Whenever cruelty to any living form occurs, we have various respective activist groups cropping up in front of the lawns of the perpetrators of the crime or those associated with them. Having been published in an era where such events were unheard or even unthought of, it is but obvious that readers of works such as these were extremely poorly informed about science as well as had a morality the size of the eye of a needle! But beware you reader of the twenty first century, this book promises to ...more
Norman Howe
I have only read one other of the original Tom Swift novels (Tom Swift and his Photo Telephone)"," so I was not expecting the level of violence in this novel. Tom and his companions kill (and in some cases vaporize!) various wild animals and decimate a tribe of pygmies in this improbable adventure.Tom has invented a weapon which is not a rifle"," but a versatile beam weapon akin to the ray guns"," blasters"," and phasers of later science fiction.
Mike (the Paladin)
Again I can't find the edition and since I read this book in about 1965 and in another state it would be hard to track it down. I got it from a school library and that particular building is no longer in use...As a matter of fact, I'm not sure it's even still there. Tom ends up going on safari with his new electric rifle and (of course) conducting a rescue mission.

This book has some language that is not politically correct today though it wasn't considered a problem when it was published. Be awa
Charlie Beck
Tom invents a rifle that fires wireless electronic bullets and he and friends go to Africa to kill elephants for ivory and rescue captured missionaries from natives. It's action-packed and full of cliffhangers- but also quite racist and incredibly colonialist.
I read the Tom Swift Sr. books as a child and again when I got my Kindle in 2010. They are an easy read and enjoyable. It is interesting to see how writing has changed since these books were written.
A fun, easy read. The electric rifle and airship are a little far fetched, but this is still a good story.
Josh added it
Nov 16, 2015
Todd marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
J added it
Aug 16, 2015
Nostalgia Reader
Nostalgia Reader marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Diann Morningstar
Diann Morningstar marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Melinda marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Andi marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Christephi marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Victor Appleton was a house pseudonym used by the Stratemeyer Syndicate and its successors, most famous for being associated with the Tom Swift series of books.

The character of Tom Swift was conceived in 1910 by Edward Stratemeyer, founder of the Stratemeyer Syndicate, a book-packaging company. Stratemeyer invented the series to capitalize on the market for
More about Victor Appleton...

Tom Swift (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Tom Swift and His Motor-Cycle, or, Fun and Adventures on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #1)
  • Tom Swift And His Motor-boat (Tom Swift Sr, #2)
  • Tom Swift and His Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #3)
  • Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat (Tom Swift Sr, #4)
  • Tom Swift and His Electric Runabout, or, the Speediest Car on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #5)
  • Tom Swift and His Wireless Message: or, the castaways of Earthquake island (Tom Swift Sr, #6)
  • Tom Swift Among the Diamond Makers, or, the Secret of Phantom Mountain (Tom Swift Sr, #7)
  • Tom Swift in the Caves of Ice, or, the Wreck of the Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #8)
  • Tom Swift and His Sky Racer, or, the Quickest Flight on Record (Tom Swift Sr, #9)
  • Tom Swift in the City of Gold (Tom Swift Sr, #11)