Start by marking “Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift Sr, #10)” as Want to Read:
Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift Sr, #10)
Read Book* *Different edition

Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle (Tom Swift #10)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  8 reviews
American boys' fiction under pseudonym used by the Stratemeyer Syndicate who produced Tom Swift series, Nancy Drew mysteries, the Hardy Boys, Dave Fearless and many others.
Published July 7th 2006 by Dodo Press (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Swift and His Electric Rifle

Nathan Gregory
I see several reviewers making statements of outrage over this book. I feel the need to chime in with a couple of comments. First, the book was written in 1911. Societal sensibilities were VERY different then than today. Over the top feigned outrage over things deemed unacceptable by today's hypersensitive generation perhaps say more about the weakness and foibles of the current generation than that of years gone by. If you are not able to at least momentarily wear the garb of the early 1900's a ...more
Robert McCarroll
I picked up this book in an attempt to find some inspiration, or at least something to throw out a reference to. It had the advantage of being old enough to be solidly public domain.

This book did not age well.

I don't know what the market for Young Adult Literature was like in 1911, but if an Indie Writer brought this to me today for a beta read or review, I'd flat out tell them "You have to start over from scratch".

I can't review this with 'in-period' sensibilities because I'm a hundred years to
Abhinav
Whenever cruelty to any living form occurs, we have various respective activist groups cropping up in front of the lawns of the perpetrators of the crime or those associated with them. Having been published in an era where such events were unheard or even unthought of, it is but obvious that readers of works such as these were extremely poorly informed about science as well as had a morality the size of the eye of a needle! But beware you reader of the twenty first century, this book promises to ...more
Norman Howe
I have only read one other of the original Tom Swift novels (Tom Swift and his Photo Telephone)"," so I was not expecting the level of violence in this novel. Tom and his companions kill (and in some cases vaporize!) various wild animals and decimate a tribe of pygmies in this improbable adventure.Tom has invented a weapon which is not a rifle"," but a versatile beam weapon akin to the ray guns"," blasters"," and phasers of later science fiction.
Mike (the Paladin)
Again I can't find the edition and since I read this book in about 1965 and in another state it would be hard to track it down. I got it from a school library and that particular building is no longer in use...As a matter of fact, I'm not sure it's even still there. Tom ends up going on safari with his new electric rifle and (of course) conducting a rescue mission.

This book has some language that is not politically correct today though it wasn't considered a problem when it was published. Be awa
Charlie Beck
Tom invents a rifle that fires wireless electronic bullets and he and friends go to Africa to kill elephants for ivory and rescue captured missionaries from natives. It's action-packed and full of cliffhangers- but also quite racist and incredibly colonialist.
Dehibberdwrites
I read the Tom Swift Sr. books as a child and again when I got my Kindle in 2010. They are an easy read and enjoyable. It is interesting to see how writing has changed since these books were written.
Dan
A fun, easy read. The electric rifle and airship are a little far fetched, but this is still a good story.
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Christephi
Christephi marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Dr. Daniel
Dr. Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Alejandro
Alejandro marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Mtpromises
Mtpromises is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Becca
Becca added it
Sep 09, 2014
Mitali
Mitali marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Katelyn Shaver
Katelyn Shaver marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The character of Tom Swift was conceived in 1910 by Edward Stratemeyer, founder of the Stratemeyer Syndicate, a book-packaging company.[8] Stratemeyer invented the series to capitalize on the market for children's science adventure.[9] The Syndicate's authors created the Tom Swift books by first preparing an outline with all the plot elements, followed by drafting and editing the detailed manuscri ...more
More about Victor Appleton...

Tom Swift (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Tom Swift and His Motor-Cycle, or, Fun and Adventures on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #1)
  • Tom Swift And His Motor-boat (Tom Swift Sr, #2)
  • Tom Swift and His Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #3)
  • Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat (Tom Swift Sr, #4)
  • Tom Swift and His Electric Runabout, or, the Speediest Car on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #5)
  • Tom Swift and His Wireless Message: or, the castaways of Earthquake island (Tom Swift Sr, #6)
  • Tom Swift Among the Diamond Makers, or, the Secret of Phantom Mountain (Tom Swift Sr, #7)
  • Tom Swift in the Caves of Ice, or, the Wreck of the Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #8)
  • Tom Swift and His Sky Racer, or, the Quickest Flight on Record (Tom Swift Sr, #9)
  • Tom Swift in the City of Gold (Tom Swift Sr, #11)
Tom Swift and His Airship (Tom Swift Sr, #3) Tom Swift and His Motor-Cycle, or, Fun and Adventures on the Road (Tom Swift Sr, #1) Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat (Tom Swift Sr, #4) Tom Swift And His Motor-boat (Tom Swift Sr, #2) The City in the Stars (Tom Swift III, #1)