Avengers: The Initiative, Vol. 2: Killed in Action

Avengers: The Initiative, Vol. 2: Killed in Action (Avengers: The Initiative #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Training is almost over for our cadets. Some will graduate. Some will washout. And, yes, some will die! With the clock ticking on the first class of recruits, get ready to meet the next batch! Including new Marvels, old Marvels, at least one Skrull and - the irredeemable Giant-Man?
Published July 16th 2008 by Marvel Comics Group

John Wiswell
May 25, 2008 John Wiswell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Superhero fans, teen fiction readers
I haven’t seen this kind of focus, build or momentum on a comic out of DC or Marvel in a long time. The Initiative thrives by being self-contained, only crossing over with major events in its own way, so its continuity is strong. Slott takes that continuity and builds expertly, seeding things that come up later in clever and surprising ways, making otherwise useless and original characters interesting. The “K.I.A.” reveal is shocking in itself, one and a half volumes of story on its head. Even a...more
Dan
Sep 14, 2008 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2008, comics
It seems this book is going to be my bridge back into the Marvel Universe proper, a place I've visited infrequently the last ten years. Despite the fact that I STILL haven't read Civil War in it's entirety, I feel I have a good handle on things. Most of the major characters here are new characters, and the few returning characters are either very familiar or explained. As far as "young superheroes in training" books go, this one ranks above the current run of Teen Titans for me, as well as Young...more
Devero
Inizia a decollare questa serie regolare: i personaggi sono meglio presentati, le storie iniziano a svilupparsi in modo egregio, e l'interesse aumenta sempre di più.
Ernest
This is a successful continuation of the series. If I were to read it on a issue by issue basis (as apart from in one hit as a TPB), I might have got frustrated at the length of some story arcs, but this (seeming) problem was not evident in the TPB. Although the last story seemed a little weak in comparison to the others, overall this was an enjoyable read that, as with many Marvel works, requires knowledge of its context to best appreciate it.
Brad
A bit less-focused and scattered than the first volume, but it's fun to see the crossovers and the resolution of the MVP storyline (though it's a bummer to see Cloud 9 go.)
I really like the last story in the book, about a guy who fails out of the Initiative. It borders on sappy, but it's the kind of aw-shucks that makes superheroes appealing besides the power-fantasies.
Ketan Shah
Fast paced and very entertaining. Some of the artwork was generic manga style though,which led to characters looking inconsistent between issues. One of my favourite characters ,the Taskmaster ,has some great lines.
Georgie Rose
Is it sad that instead of going shopping I'm at home reading this?? I love cloud nine MVP and trauma. So awesome. I mean seriously they are so awesome I might just die.
Jessica
Much better! Issue 13 was the Boulder stand-alone and had the Avengers Academy feel.
Shannon Appelcline
Exciting adventure! Great characters! Interesting mysteries!
Sharon
Individual issues on comixology
Ioniclynx
Ioniclynx marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Marka
Marka added it
Jul 20, 2014
Ken
Ken added it
Jun 14, 2014
Josh Barnett
Josh Barnett marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Kevin Ford
Kevin Ford marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 1: My Own Worst Enemy Arkham Asylum: Living Hell The Superior Spider-Man, Vol. 2: A Troubled Mind Spider-Man: Brand New Day, Vol. 1 Avengers: The Initiative, Vol. 1: Basic Training