Start by marking “The Winter Helen Dropped By” as Want to Read:
The Winter Helen Dropped By

The Winter Helen Dropped By

Narrated by young Jamie O'Day, who is beginning to understand that, like his daddy says, "every story is about sex or death, or sometimes both,"The Winter Helen Dropped Byis a story of growing up, of loss, of laughter and of characters both sexy and dead.

Helen is the young, pregnant Indian woman who drops into Jamie's life one freeze-the-balls-off-a-brass-monkey snow-storm

Published May 16th 1996 by HarperPerennial (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Helen Dropped By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter Helen Dropped By

Tony
My paperback copies of W.P. Kinsella's short story collections look conspicuous in my library. They are not pristine like their neighbors. They have been read and re-read, lent to friends, transported from office to office when I still worked and needed their comforts; they look used. Three stories, in particular, continue to resonate: 'The Bottle Queen', 'How I Got My Nickname', and 'Dance Me Outside'.

He wrote about Canadian Indians and Baseball, although the two topics stayed separate in his
Sharon
Apr 10, 2012 Sharon rated it it was ok
Canadian author... not so great! Sorry!
Kathy
Oct 23, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
poignant while hilarious - hard to do! I have many favorite quotes, but then why spoil it for others? I did read this work due to a review here on Goodreads. I was well rewarded. Oh for the good old days where family stories were the entertainment.
"The winter Helen dropped by, which was followed by the summer Jamie damn near drowned, though that summer was actually a spring, was preceded by the summer my daddy took on the case of Lousy Louise Kortgaard versus the Province of Alberta."
The narrat
Daniel
Jan 16, 2011 Daniel rated it really liked it
WP Kinsella is a good writer. He tells it the way it is. I read a few about this author, even tough "The Fields of Dream" went on to be a motion picture with actor Kevin Costner, "The Winter Helen Dropped By" is still my favorite.
Shannon
Jun 20, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it

Have had this one for a loong time, and still can go back and find new things. Worth reading, if only for the main character's way of naming things.
Virginia
Jan 26, 2011 Virginia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
homey and quiet yet not boring or anything:)
Calvin Daniels
Jul 25, 2014 Calvin Daniels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinsella has an endearing style. Read 'Box Social' years ago, and having found this at a thrift store, was more than pleased to revisit the area and era of the early book.
Irene
Aug 06, 2014 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the read.
Katherine
Katherine rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2007
Inge
Inge rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Kelli
Kelli rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2016
April Tavares
April Tavares rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2017
Mark Pethick
Mark Pethick rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2012
Kathryn Buchanan
Kathryn Buchanan rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Stephanie VW
Stephanie VW rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2011
linda
linda rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2009
Shane Sanford
Shane Sanford rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Janice Nelson
Janice Nelson rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Myrrhiam
Myrrhiam rated it liked it
May 31, 2013
Janerator
Janerator rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Axel Howerton
Axel Howerton rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Dennis George
Dennis George rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2015
Dan Jackman
Dan Jackman rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Will
Will rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2008
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2012
William Patrick Kinsella, OC, OBC was a Canadian novelist and short story writer. His work has often concerned baseball and Canada's First Nations and other Canadian issues.

William Patrick Kinsella was born to John Matthew Kinsella and Olive Kinsella in Edmonton, Alberta. Kinsella was raised until he was 10 years-old at a homestead near Darwell, Alberta, 60 km west of the city, home-schooled by hi
More about W.P. Kinsella...