Start by marking “Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5)” as Want to Read:
Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5)

Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures #5)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Kydd must pass a tough examination for his lieutenancy, but aboard the 64-gun Tenacious he faces a more daunting challenge—matching up to the high-born officers, who have spent a lifetime learning to be gentlemen. When Tenacious reaches the colonies, Kydd is caught up in the intrigue surrounding the birth of the American Navy. There, in uncharted waters, quick wits and sup ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by McBooks Press (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Quarterdeck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quarterdeck

James
At last our intrepid hero has made his step and become a King's Officer. Huzzah! But as we all know, as per naval fiction 'rules', this is not the great thing it's made out to be; he still has to be accepted as a gentlemen, to adapt to the wardroom having served before the mast. This is a tale of Kydd's emergence as a gentleman, and see's the series level out at a top standard of writing: Four Stars.

Plot: Four Stars

****Broad spoliers ahead*****

This plot is all about Kydd finding his feet as a l
Robin Carter
The fifth book in a long running series that just seems to get better and better the characters keep growning and flowing with their ever expanding plot lines and movement into the ever larger arena of their times, as they and their careers / fortunes grow so do the scale and power of the troubles they encounter gone is the innocence to the plot a new origionality pervades the whole story and leaves the reader with a shanty lilt to their speech and a roll to their gait.

This book is one of my per
J.
I came back to this series after finding a number of books at a used book store. So plunged back in somewhere in the middle of this series. This was not the strongest entry. The first part is the usual new lieutenant from before the mast fitting into a new wardroom, which is always good in these types of books but after that, not much action. With a number of shorter episodes in North America that really don't have the time to develop into anything too interesting. But, what the heck, it reads w ...more
Hisham1969
The best book in the series so far. Not a lot of action but plenty of nautical stuff. Kydd can be annoyingly whingy at times but I really started to like him in the last few chapters, although his sheer dumb luck got a bit over the top. I'm really looking forwards to the next instalment. One particular episode which I quite enjoyed had me wondering why no one has set a series in early 19th century US Navy yet.
Colleen O'grady
A fabulous yarn of a young man, Thomas Kydd, press-ganged into the British Navy during the late 1700s, who rises to Acting Lieutenant and is intrumental in portraying to the brand new Amercian Navy how the British Navy is run. Stockwin has done his ground work well, for he writes of many of the little-known historical facts of life aboard ship in that era
Gordon Chambers
I always like Julian Stockwin's Kidd novels, but I have to say that this one was not as good as some others I have read. However, I am now reading 'Tenacious' which is the next book in the series, and 'Quarterdeck' leads into the story of 'Tenacious' very well. A fairly good read.
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
Almost four stars; the action played very well in my head, and I could easily see it as a movie. If one ever was filmed, the USS Constellation could star as herself!
Jim
Five stars for this edition of the Thomas Kydd series. Mostly because it was a big improvement over the last one. Stockwin is getting better as Kydd rises in the world.
Burt
Aug 18, 2007 Burt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adventure, naval interests
Shelves: age-of-sail
Julian Stockwin is clearly the successor to Patrick O'Brian.

Stockwin's writing is colorful, descriptive, and he brings his characters and their settings to life.
Jeff Carter
This series is great! They just keep getting better :)
Jamie
Jamie added it
May 13, 2015
Meredith Peters
Meredith Peters marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Kerry Maddison
Kerry Maddison marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Brian Jones
Brian Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Simon Gardner
Simon Gardner marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • Havoc's Sword (Alan Lewrie, #11)
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)
  • Beyond the Reef (Richard Bolitho, #21)
Julian Stockwin was sent at the age of fourteen to Indefatigable, a tough sea-training school. He joined the Royal Navy at fifteen. He now lives in Devon with his wife Kathy. Julian has written 15 books to date in the Kydd series of historical adventure fiction, the story of one man's journey from pressed man to admiral in the age of fighting sail, and a non-fiction book, 'Stockwin's Maritime Misc ...more
More about Julian Stockwin...

Kydd Sea Adventures (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
  • Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3)
  • Mutiny (Kydd Sea Adventures, #4)
  • Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)
  • Command (Kydd Sea Adventures, #7)
  • The Admiral's Daughter (Kydd Sea Adventures, #8)
  • The Privateer's Revenge (Kydd Sea Adventures, #9)
  • Invasion (Kydd Sea Adventures, #10)
  • Victory (Kydd Sea Adventures, #11)
Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1) Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2) Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3) Mutiny (Kydd Sea Adventures, #4) Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)