Start by marking “Quilter's Complete Guide” as Want to Read:
Quilter's Complete Guide

Quilter's Complete Guide

There is a wealth of information included as well as projects with patterns and color photographs on nearly every page of the book.
Published June 24th 1993 by Oxmoor House (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Quilter's Complete Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quilter's Complete Guide

Nonnie
I think more quilters have learned how to quilt from this book then any other basic quilting book written. It starts the very basic techniques (hand piecing) and then works to more modern techniques. First released 1993 and revised in 2000. From what I could tell from comparing an older, first release book there were not many changes or revisions. Some of the techniques are dated and there are newer methods to use when you make your patches and blocks. I think it is important to know all the ...more
Korri
Jan 03, 2012 Korri added it
Shelves: crafts, quilting
Yesterday I was helping my mother keep a New Year's resolution (clean up crafting area) when we came across a page ripped out of a magazine. It was about how to make a friendship quilt from scraps. My mom told me to put it in the paper recycling bin but I looked at the photo and the simple instructions on the opposite side. Though I haven't sewn anything since a plush toy elephant in 5th grade home economics, I said, 'I could do this. We have so many scraps of fabric and fat quarters around the ...more
Diana
Aug 25, 2011 Diana rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best I've seen to learn how to make traditional pieced or appliqued quilts. Fons and Porter cover tools and supplies, basic piecing methods, drafting blocks, using a rotary cutter, settings and borders, and both hand and machine quilting. Their directions are clear and easy to follow, and there are abundant pictures to illustrate the techniques they present. All along the way there are small projects for the reader to complete to practice each new skill.

My copy is falling apar
Sue
Aug 09, 2008 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quilting
Quilting has two meanings - (1) the entire process of putting together a quilt, including making the blocks, and (2) sewing a variety of patterns or designs through the layers of the quilt to hold the front, back, and the batting together.

This book covers all the basics for the first definition of quilting, and it's the one basic quilting reference I turn to again and again.
Katie
Jan 24, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
The Quilter's Complete Guide was a gift from my Mother and my first quilting book. I absolutely love it. When I first received it, I was obsessed with it and read it over and over again throughout each of my beginning quilting projects. I definitely recommend it for beginning quilters!
Suzanne
Sep 14, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
There is lots of good information for new and experienced quilters. However the one thing I don't like about the book is that instead of just being about making blocks with all the technique there are a lot of wall hanging projects for practicing the techniques.
Barbara M
Good introduction to quilting. I'll refer to it periodically but it's not one you read from cover to cover. I did a good overview and now keep it for reference as I learn more about quilting techinques.
Barbara M
Good introduction to quilting. I'll refer to it periodically but it's not one you read from cover to cover. I did a good overview and now keep it for reference as I learn more about quilting techniques.
Kate
Sep 04, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: craft-a-holic
This is another must have quilting book from two of the most dedicated quilters around. It shows the basics and gets you started on some very common quilt blocks.
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Jonquil
Jonquil rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2014
Shari
Shari rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Catherine Lampman
Catherine Lampman rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2009
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2009
Britt
Britt rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
May 04, 2007
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Mona Abbas
Mona Abbas rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Yvonna
Yvonna rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Agnes Francis
Agnes Francis rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Theresa
Theresa rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2008
Tiennie
Tiennie rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2009
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2008
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2008
Laura rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2014
Kandace
Kandace rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Jelly Roll Quilts: The Perfect Guide to Making the Most of the Latest Strip Rolls
  • Heirloom Machine Quilting: A Comprehensive Guide to Hand-Quilting Effects Using Your Sewing Machine
  • Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!!: The Complete Guide to Quiltmaking the Complete Guide to Quiltmaking
  • Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters: Choose & Use Quilting Designs on Modern Quilts
  • Complete Guide to Quilting (Better Homes and Gardens)
  • Machine Quilting Made Easy!: Perpetual Calendar
  • Quiltmaking by Hand: Simple Stitches, Exquisite Quilts
  • Make a Quilt in a Day: Log Cabin Pattern
  • The Modern Quilt Workshop: Patterns, Techniques, and Designs from the FunQuilts Studio
  • Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Material Obsession Two: Shared Inspiration
  • Sunday Morning Quilts: 16 Modern Scrap Projects Sort, Store, and Use Every Last Bit of Your Treasured Fabrics
  • The Quilt That Walked to Golden: Women and Quilts in the Mountain West - From the Overland Trail to Contemporary Colorado
  • The Quilts of Gee's Bend: Masterpieces from a Lost Place
  • More Elm Creek Quilts: 30+ Traditional Blocks, 11 Projects, Favorite Character Sketches
  • Benni Harper's Quilt Album: A Scrapbook of Quilt Projects, Photos & Never-Before-Told Stories
  • Vogue Sewing: Revised and Updated