Start by marking “The Chocolate Touch” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Touch

The Chocolate Touch (John Midas)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  6,625 ratings  ·  473 reviews

John midas loves chocolate. He loves it so much that he′ll eat it any hour of any day. He doesn′t care if he ruins his appetite. He thinks chocolate is better than any other food! But one day, after wandering into a candy store and buying a piece of their best chocolate, John finds out that there might just be such a thing as too much chocolate. . . .

Published June 8th 1998 by Yearling (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Touch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Touch

Heidi
I love this book partly because I read it as a child and partly because I love the lessons that it teaches children, such as:
1. There definitely can be TOO much of a good thing (such as Christmas every day, chocolate all the time, etc.)
2. Nutrition - our body needs healthy foods to function healthily.
3. Moderation in all things.
4. It teaches these ideas in a fun, silly way that kids love.
Robert
I read this yearly with my students and have done so throughout my career. It's a book that works well at the beginning of the year or with groups who may not be up to level later in the year.

John Midas likes chocolate. He finds a coin. On one side is a picture of a fat boy, on the other his initials. He finds that he can purchase a box of chocolates with this coin. Soon he has his own special Midas touch.

I find that I need to teach the students the story of King Midas prior to reading this book...more
Medford Children's Library
John Midas loves chocolate more than anything in the world, including his friends and family. His greed is punished when he is given the chocolate touch. Everything John puts near his mouth turns to chocolate! It sounds great at first because everything from toothpaste to his pencil turns into delicious chocolate but it becomes disasterous. A very funny read for third grade and up. Kids will be interested to learn more about an ancient Greek myth about King Midas who was given the golden touch.

F...more
Annastone
This book had one lesson, not to be greedy. The book stayed on topic so it wasn't very confusing. Some books I read didn't have that "trait" in them. It`s a great book for children.
Kirby star rod
I think this book was a good book but I would not want to be in the same situation he is in. But chocolate is one of my favorite things. So I would definitely read this book
Amy
Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive! And did you notice all of those "repetitives?" Well, add a couple more! The early parts of The Chocolate Touch started out entertainingly, but the middle was so much of the same thing over and over again, it became a real challenge to get through it! Finally, the story picked up some tension and suspense in the second to last chapter, but then the ending just *dropped*!

When I finished reading the book, my niece looked at me and exclaimed, "What?! THAT'S IT?!?...more
Lord
1. I liked ''The Chocolate Touch'' for multiple reasons. For example, The Chocolate Touch was a quick and short book with an interesting plot. I also liked this book because it teaching a lot of life lessons. I say this because this book only has 128 pages and has an interesting plot which is about a greedy boy who all he eats is chocolate page 24. I also say this because this book has taught me to be considerate in life.

2. Someone who would like this book is someone who likes a book that actual...more
Amelia
Blah. I bought this for one of my nephews who is an absolute chocolate fiend. He loves it more than just about anything. It's his little sister's birthday soon and I thought this would be something fun to give him so he doesn't have to sit there watching her unwrap parcels with nothing of his own.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be a rather predictable tale based on the story of King Midas in which a boy named John learns that too much of a nice thing isn't nice at all. Possibly a good book for a...more
Kerry
Oct 26, 2007 Kerry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and fans of kids lit.
I just came across this book again while working @ B&N (I'm in the Kid's Dept.). I remember reading it when I was younger, probably somewhere between third and fifth grade, and I found it both fun and slightly disturbing. Not that horrified disturbing, but that uncomfortable disturbing. Just like the Midas Touch, everything this kid eats turns into chocolate after eating a special candy from a store. Its crazy, but he thinks its cool until he turns his parents into chocolate statues. I remem...more
Noah
The chocolate touch is a great book. It teaches you not to be greedy. Because when a boy finds a magic coin with his initials on it he decides to start a coin collection. But when he walks past a chocolate store. CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE. The boy loves chocolate. He walks into the store and buys candy completely forgetting about his coin collection. When he opens the gigantic box he finds only one chocolate. But when he eats it it's the best chocolate he has ever eaten. The next morning h...more
Julie Decker
This modern-and-kid-ified version of the Midas Touch has little John Midas eating a magical chocolate and suddenly being unable to stop turning everything he touches into chocolate. And that doesn't mean just what he touches with his hands; everything that goes into his mouth turns to chocolate too. After eating the magical chocolate, he'll be unable to eat or drink anything but chocolate unless he finds the antidote. The book isn't particularly subtle about its message--yes, John, you've overdo...more
Megan

The Chocolate Touch is about a boy named John who loves chocolate so much that he would eat it any time a day , but there is also a lesson to learn
Huangduome.com
Review:

John Midas walks to Susans house to play but he takes a new route and he found a coin with a fat boy and JM on the other side. he takes it and then he see's a candy shop. he went there and the owner takes only that type of coin. he uses it to buy candy. he hid it under his bed and ate it at night. the next morning... everything John ate turned into chocolate... first in the morning John ate the toothpaste!!! he said it tasted like chocolate. when he went to school he took his gloves and s...more
Sami C
I never got to read this book when I was a kid because I didn't have much money to buy it and it wasn't available at the school library. But I remember looking at the cover longingly. A young boy kissing his mother on the cheek...but the mother had turned to chocolate! Must've been a fascinating take on King Midas' touch.

John is a little shit of a boy, but when he began tasting nothing but chocolate, I felt jealous. Just a bit. I would love it if everything I ate tasted like the Hershey's milk c...more
Lisa Vegan
This is a fun story that’s a variation on the King Midas myth, but involves the dilemma of a young boy afflicted with “chocolatitis.”

It’s a perfect book for chocolate lovers and I am a huge chocolate fan, but chocolate gloves? Yuck!

This is a good early reader and read aloud book, and has a moral lesson about not being selfish or greedy.

I think I missed this when I was young even though it’s from my era; it’s now a bit dated but still very enjoyable.
Tricia
I suppose this is a useful way to introduce kids to the King Midas myth (legend? story?). But wow! It's preachy and moralistic. And all the adults are so dismissive of John - was that true to the era, or just another example of the annoying writing style? My 8yo seemed to like it okay, but it wasn't a fav. He said it was kind of cheesy. The 11yo (who read it to himself) said it was too predictable.
Amanda
Emma and I really enjoyed reading this story together. It's a short simple story that was easy for her to follow and understand. It teaches there can be too much of a good thing, that he'd and selfishness are vices, and good nutrition is important. I enjoyed this book as a kid and love it as a parent. I'm so glad Emma enjoyed it, too. What a great book for our family library. Good read :)
Maryposa
Feb 21, 2011 Maryposa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book in elementary school. The other day my daughter was telling me what she had learned about King Midas, and it reminded me of this story. Even though it's been about 20 years since I've read it, I still clearly remember several scenes from the book. As soon as I can track down a copy, I'm reading this one to my kids.
Alyssa
The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling is an amazing story. I liked everything in the book, but my favorite part was when John Midas bought the chocolate at the candy store. In the book my favorite character is John Midas. He is my favorite character because I know some people like him and I like his greedy personality.
Tiffany Joyce
Abbycat
I thought that this book would be a very good influence on people who feast on chocolate and eat it all the time of what could happen to them if they were always that greedy. It was a good lesson.
June
Apr 03, 2014 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young chapter readers
Recommended to June by: Daniel
John Midas is obsessed with chocolate...

Read this for the parents/child book club.

The leader had everyone draw characters and choose up to 6 words to describe them. (5 Johns, 2 storekeepers, Susan and Dr.Cranium)

Everyone also came up with a question to ask about the book (Why did John's chocolitis get worse? How is the store not there and then back? When does John realize chocolate isn't the best thing in the world? Do you think John will ever eat chocolate again?....

We admitted our own persona...more
Susan ...so many books and so little time
I read this book with my students...it is great and my 3rd-grade students loved every word. I gave them a test over it...they all passed and I rewarded them with m&ms...yay!!!
Kamrin
I loved this book so much it was funny. I think its weird that every thing he touched turned to chocolate. That would be awful. I recomend this to all chocolate lovers.
Andrea Dorothy
This mid-century book reads much different today.

A boy obsessed with eating chocolate is seen now as an over-eater with a dependence on food. He would be obese and nutrient deficient.

The shopkeeper also acted inappropriately by today's standards.

I had assumed the book would end with the main character wanting to eat all the healthy foods he'd been ignoring his whole life, but the book ended without a moral.

I skipped entire passages that were repetitive and not necessary.

I felt mislead with t...more
Praew Thanavisuth
The author of this book is Patrick Skene Catling. This book is the fantasy and fiction book. It's about a boy that name John Midas, he really likes the eat chocolate. He can eat every amount of the chocolate! One day he went to chocolate store and he found the coin that said JM after he found that coin everything was change. He turn to have a magic touch everything that he touch or eat it will turn to chocolate. At first he loves his way like that but after John think that it was too much for hi...more
Rachel
OH MAH GAWD CHOCOLATE TOOTHPASTE
Sarah Erbes
a. author: Patrick Catling
b. genre: Fiction/Chapter Book
c. publication date: 1952
d. annotation:
-The main character John loves chocolate. He eats so much candy that he has to take medicine in order to make up for his lack of a healthy diet. John finds a coin on the ground and comes across a candy store soon after. In the store, he buys a box of chocolates. Once home, he opens the box to find a single chocolate, but it is the most delicious chocolate that he has had. The next morning, John re...more
Amy
I just found an image of the cover of this book as I remember it from childhood. I had completely forgotten it, but now I totally remember the image of John's mom turning into chocolate! It's so fun to re-awaken childhood memories - it makes me feel like a more complete person.

Overall, I enjoyed revisiting this book as an adult. Catling's appetizing descriptions of healthy foods make you want to run out and eat some cherries, and his descriptions of various objects turning into chocolate are pre...more
Tina Johnson
This book is about a boy named John Midas who refuses to eat anything but chocolate. He must take nightly doses of vitamin to keep nourished to his parents dismay. Both his parents and his doctor order John to stop eating chocolate. John decides that he has to continue his habit and begins to search for a way to find his own chocolate supply. When on a walk he finds a coin with a picture of a chubby kid on one side and his initials on the other. He also notices a mysterious chocolate store nearb...more
This is a funny........ 6 34 Aug 20, 2014 06:13PM
Fantasy 1 6 Dec 01, 2012 10:14AM
  • Chocolate Fever
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Henry and Beezus (Henry, #2)
  • The Stories Julian Tells
  • No Flying in the House
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm
  • The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)
  • Toys Go Out (Toys #1)
  • Be a Perfect Person in Just Three Days!
  • Stone Fox
  • Freckle Juice
  • Flat Stanley (Flat Stanley, #1)
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Sophie's Snail (Sophie, #1)
  • Gooney Bird Greene
  • Niagara Falls, Or Does It? (Hank Zipzer, #1)
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
Patrick Skene Catling is a British children's book author and book reviewer best known for writing The Chocolate Touch in 1952.

Catling was born and schooled in London and was educated there and at Oberlin College in the United States. Catling served in the Royal Canadian Air Force as a navigator and as a journalist at The Baltimore Sun and The Manchester Guardian.

He has traveled extensively. His p...more
More about Patrick Skene Catling...
John Midas in the Dreamtime Chocolate Magic (The Chocolate Touch, #2) Skylark Gift Set: The Chocolate Touch/Ghost In My Soup/The Castle In The Attic/Lizard Music/Be A Perfect Person In Just Three Days/Boxed Set John Midas and the Vampires John Midas and the Radio Touch