Start by marking “Rainbow fish and the big blue whale = Der Regenbogenfisch stiftet Frieden” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Rainbow fish and the b...

Marcus Pfister

Rainbow fish and the big blue whale = Der Regenbogenfisch stiftet Frieden

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  535 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Ages 3^-5. Rainbow Fish and his friends enjoy eating the krill, or tiny shrimp, that populate the ocean floor. When a big whale comes into the area, he starts eating krill, too. Soon the fish worry that he'll eat them, and they hide when he's around. The hurt whale pretends that is just what he's going to do, but in the end, Rainbow Fish and the whale have a laugh over the ...more
Published March 27th 2003 by North-South Books (Nord-Sud Verlag AG) (first published January 1st 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow fish and the big blue whale = Der Regenbogenfisch stiftet Frieden

midnightfaerie
Wow. What a completely silly politically correct story about krill and whales getting along. The krill swim away from the whale because they think he's going to eat them. (Go figure.) They the whale angrily swishes his tale because they "hurt" his feelings. The krill sees this, immediately apologizes and they become "friends" and go off in search of food together. Seriously? (Can't we all just get along?) The only reason I gave it two stars was because the shiny fish are pretty. I, and my 3 yr o ...more
Kristine Mathias
This is one of my favorite children's books. It is full of lessons about friendship. My favorite lesson is that if you don't understand someone you shouldn’t judge them because of their appearance, take the time to talk to them before situations get out of hand. Sometimes people act out because they are hurt. The author uses words like ashamed and afraid which are great words to talk about with a class as it covers many emotions children this age may have but not understand. The colors are soft ...more
Whole And
We are just becoming acquainted with the Rainbow Fish books and like what we see so far.

The Blue Whale book is a wonderful story to discuss dealing with misunderstandings and hurt feelings with young children.

The moody sea fish's suspicion of the blue whale is contagious and soon the blue whale is finds himself hurt and misunderstood. His hurt turns to anger and worsens the matter.

Eventually, a brave soul of a fish has a long heart to heart with whale and all is mended.

A rich discussion can be
Laura Metts
This book is great it teaches about friendship and not judging others because of their appearance. As I was reading the book I saw a lot of words that would be great to introduce to children. There are many lessons and activities that can come from this book This book have beautiful illustration that were eye catching.

Marcus Pfister takes great joy in creating picture books for children. He has a wall decorated with a copy of each one of his books. He also have on the wall letter from children w
Diana Acosta
The book caught my attention the moment I saw it on the library book self because of the glitter scale on the fish. I did like the book because it has a moral of the story which teaches children to not judge other if they don't know them. It also teaches them on how to be good friends and if they had a bumpy ride they can move on and have a stronger friendship. The illustration are good and this book can be use before going to a trip to the aquarium. This book is good for ages 5-7 and I can reco ...more
Savannah Work
"Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale" can be used to explore multiple concepts. Such as, color and art, social emotional development, language development, and science/ ocean life. The book gives information on what fish eat and where they live, it also shows children not to judge someone because they are different from them.

Learning Experience: fill a sensory table with water and krill (packing peanuts), give the children different sizes nets to represent the different fish and the whale. Have
Ailah
Paula Heller
The illustrations in this book were incredible! If you love shimmering and vivid pictures, this is a great story to look at. The book is filled with colorful fish that sparkle on each page, making the fish come to life. This story teaches children how to problem solve by talking to others. It also teaches them that everyone is different and not everyone will see the world in the same way. This books shows children how to comprise and respect others.
Mara Mccarthy
Rainbow Fish and The Big Blue Whale is a spinoff of Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister. At the beginning of the book, Rainbow Fish and his friends are happy until a big blue whale moves into the reef and Rainbow Fish. The other fish are immediately threatened. Even though the whale is actually gentle and friendly, the fish are skeptical and assume they won’t get along with the whale. Their worst fears come true, because the whale becomes angry that they won’t accept him as their friend and begins to ...more
Kendra
I love Rainbow Fish and Pfister in general, and "Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale" presents a valuable lesson about reconciliation, differences, prejudices, and miscommunications. The text isn't presented in the most attractive fashion, but the fish are all beautiful as always. For toddlers learning to cope with new friends or siblings, I think this could be particularly valuable.
Ericka
Nice book. the illustrations are detailed. Teaches children to be nice make friends with everyone despite differences. Everyone is the same on the inside and has feelings. Words and actions can hurt.

L.E. - set up a sensory table with water and plastic fish (different kinds) have children act out how the fish should treat eath other

Lindsay
I really like the Rainbow Fish books. The first one came out when I was in elementary school, and I remember being in awe of the pictures and shimmery scales.

I used The Rainbow Fish and the Blue Whale for a Spanish and bilingual story time program about oceans. I used it as my 3-D story. At the library where I work, a 3-D story is a story that is told through flannel board art, props, or puppets. The props were ordered from a company, but I'm not sure exactly what the company is called or where
Sae Heo
The RAINBOW FISH AND THE BIG BLUE WHALE is really great book. When I read this book, I was impressive in this story. This book helps children solve problem with conflict in classroom. Also, children can try to understand other's situation through this book. Children are selfishness toward others, so children need to read this book for social-emotional skills.

Extension: After teacher read this book, discuss about solve-problem with conflict in classroom. Teacher ask "Why was whale hurt and grew
Donna Smith
I enjoyed reading this book. It had a lot of descriptive words that express how on feels and a lot of time children have a hard time expressing how they feel. It also helps children to not pass judgement based on what you see. Its better to get to know someone than to make assumptions.
Jacqueline Gary
This is a good book when talking about friendships. This book shows that you can talk things out instead of getting angry and hurting others. It also teaches about not judging someone by what they look like. I like how Rainbow Fish showed bravery by going up to talk to the big whale.
Nefertiti
This is a nice book for teaching children about friendship and how the things they say affect others, not judging others based on their size or appearance. The sparkled color illustrations can be very engaging for young children. It was an incredible read.
Darchelle
This book was hard to follow and the plot was difficult to understand even after getting through the entire book. Each page was overloaded with illustrations and lots of text. Children will definitely appreciate the life-like pictures of the underwater life.
Carolina
Excellent book abouit conflic resolution. It shows children that is normal to have problems and misunderstandings with anyone, friends, family,etc... But that any kind of problem is always fixable. This book teaches a very valuable lesson,a bout friendship as well. It also teaches children that just because someone is different doesn't mean you can't share with them. In this book the whale and the fish live together, and they are two completely different animals, size wise, but they are still ab ...more
Megan Mccormick
i enjoyed reading this book simply because i loved rainbow fish because of the beautiful sparkly colors that drew me to the book when i was a child and still today will draw me in by the colors as an adult. the illustration is pretty and i love the theme of friendship and love between the fishes and whales.
Cerita
This book would be a great way to show young children an example of how important communication to others is and how teamwork can benefit everyone involved. It would also be a good way to exhibit to children starting friendships with someone, as well as the benefits of sharing. The fish have shinny material on their scales which make a pleasant addition to the already beautiful illustrations.

Extension Activity: As a small group activity to get the children to practice teamwork concepts I would
Shelby Dennis
This book is about a group of fish eating krill and a blue whale that was staring at them while they ate it. THe rainbow fish started thinking that the whale was going to eat them so they got scared and started saying mean things toward the whale. The whale heard and got angry and started to scare the fish off, until Rainbow fish approached him and told the whale that it was a mistake.

For a learning extension, I would have the kids talk about the differences of everyone. I would would have them
Angela Scott
This book had a good message about not judging or hurting other people's feelings just because they are different or something about them seems strange and scary to you.
Shandril
This book hangs out in the "rec room" at the laundry mat. It's a cute book and a very quick read about the importance of communication. And it's shiny!
Kaley Matous
The book was charming and had great illustrations, but it was not a story that I felt was necessary to have in the classroom.
Pat Fromm
A good story about inclusiveness, the other, and being mindful of prejudice. The shiny scales are still adorable.
Melissa Gregory
Along with the many other Rainbow Fish series, this story is also a great one. This story is about a group of fish who share a home with a whale. Since they share the home, they must share the food. one day the school of fish got scared of the whale and fought and lost their home. Then they all apologize and became friends and found a new home for all of them. I love this book. It along with the other books in the series are definites on my bookshelf. This one is one of my alltime favorites. It ...more
Aaron Alexander
This is an excellent book to teach young students about conflict resolution. In the story, the Rainbow Fish and his friends have a misunderstanding with the Big Blue Whale which results in a fight. One of the other fish says something mean to the whale which makes him angry so he tries to scare the other fish. It is not until the Rainbow Fish talks with the big blue whale that they figure out their misunderstanding.

This book can also show children that, just because someone is different (a big b
Leah Puckett
This is a story about a group of fish who share a home with a whale. Rainbow fish had to talk to the whale about the conflict that happened. After talking about the conflict, they all apologize and became friends again. They find a new home for all of them to live in. This book sends a good message to children about friendships and how to keep good friends, even when conflict arises.

Learning Experience:
For this book I would retell it using a flannel or magnetic board. The children could also use
Melina Kinder
This book teaches a good lesson about learning to talk things out.
Amber Zanfordino
one of my favorite books. This book is so engaging. I love the whole concept of this book and what it teaches. It teaches children about judging others, about conflicts, conflict resolutions and friendships.

Learning Experiences:

1. The children can create their own school of fish. Each child can use different materials, colors, etc. At the end of the activity the children can gathers together with their fish and pretend to swim.

2. the children can also talk about some of the conflicts they have
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • Who Wants A Dragon?
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • The Berenstain Bears Don't Pollute (Anymore)
  • I Like Me!
  • Clam I am
  • Too Much Noise
  • Big Al
  • Soup Day
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • Pigsty
  • Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to Sleep
  • Today I Feel Silly & Other Moods That Make My Day
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • Spring is Here
Marcus Pfister was born in Berne, Switzerland, and began his career as a graphic artist in an advertising agency. In 1983, he decided to dedicate more time to artistic pursuits, and began to write and illustrate his first book, The Sleepy Owl, which was published in 1986. His best-known work to date is The Rainbow Fish, which has remained on bestseller lists across the United States since 1992.

Mar
More about Marcus Pfister...
The Rainbow Fish Rainbow Fish to the Rescue! Milo and the Magical Stones Rainbow Fish and the Sea Monsters' Cave Penguin Pete