Start by marking “Rainbow fish and the big blue whale = Der Regenbogenfisch stiftet Frieden” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Rainbow fish and the b...

Marcus Pfister

Rainbow fish and the big blue whale = Der Regenbogenfisch stiftet Frieden

Ages 3^-5. Rainbow Fish and his friends enjoy eating the krill, or tiny shrimp, that populate the ocean floor. When a big whale comes into the area, he starts eating krill, too. Soon the fish worry that he'll eat them, and they hide when he's around. The hurt whale pretends that is just what he's going to do, but in the end, Rainbow Fish and the whale have a laugh over the ...more
Published March 27th 2003 by North-South Books (Nord-Sud Verlag AG) (first published January 1st 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow fish and the big blue whale = Der Regenbogenfisch stiftet Frieden

midnightfaerie
Aug 30, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Wow. What a completely silly politically correct story about krill and whales getting along. The krill swim away from the whale because they think he's going to eat them. (Go figure.) They the whale angrily swishes his tale because they "hurt" his feelings. The krill sees this, immediately apologizes and they become "friends" and go off in search of food together. Seriously? (Can't we all just get along?) The only reason I gave it two stars was because the shiny fish are pretty. I, and my 3 yr o ...more
Jennifer Hadley
Aug 29, 2016 Jennifer Hadley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-esteem
This book would be best in K+ classroom. It could be told as a re-telling or a group read aloud. It has a great lesson of not to judge someone because of how they look. It also touches on how beneficial making friends with someone that different can be for both parties involved. The illustrations are very beautiful and captivating with the colorful and shiny fish!
Darchelle
Oct 10, 2014 Darchelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard to follow and the plot was difficult to understand even after getting through the entire book. Each page was overloaded with illustrations and lots of text. Children will definitely appreciate the life-like pictures of the underwater life.
Sarah Clanton
Nov 07, 2016 Sarah Clanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary: Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale by Marcus Pfister is a book about a fish and his friends who jump to conclusions. One day when a school of fish with beautiful scales are going about their daily routines, a new visitor comes to their reef. The visitor was a big blue whale and some of the fish become frightened that the whale wants to eat them. In the end, the fish learned not to assume things due to the fact that they ended up becoming great friends with the big blue whale.
Theme: Pe
Tamara GTC
Jan 14, 2017 Tamara GTC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes the biggest things can be intimidating and turn out to be the most gentle. As a child my mother would always say "never judge a book by its cover". Great advice mom. Listening to others can also place you in positions sometimes to mis judge a situation. Great Read with a great ending.
Makayla Wooden
Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale is a good book for kindergarten and up classrooms. This is a very colorful and engaging book. It has a great lesson on friendship and not judging someone. A read aloud would be the best for this book. I would read this in my classroom.
Rosaira Quinonez
This book has a beautiful story. I liked the beginning were the fish were introduce and they were at school. Also I liked how the fish sparkle and they were scared of the whale. This book has very nice and helpful massage. Sometimes we judge people without knowing them and that is not a good idea because we need to meet the people first.
Carmen Revilla
I love this story because it teaches lots of lessons about helping others, trusting and overcoming fears. This book captures the children's attention with its beautiful illustrations and glittering highlights that makes it much fun to look at. This book is based on a misunderstanding where words can hurt, and have unpleasant consequences.
Ailah
Mara Mccarthy
Apr 16, 2012 Mara Mccarthy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text-set
Rainbow Fish and The Big Blue Whale is a spinoff of Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister. At the beginning of the book, Rainbow Fish and his friends are happy until a big blue whale moves into the reef and Rainbow Fish. The other fish are immediately threatened. Even though the whale is actually gentle and friendly, the fish are skeptical and assume they won’t get along with the whale. Their worst fears come true, because the whale becomes angry that they won’t accept him as their friend and begins to ...more
Kristine Mathias
This is one of my favorite children's books. It is full of lessons about friendship. My favorite lesson is that if you don't understand someone you shouldn’t judge them because of their appearance, take the time to talk to them before situations get out of hand. Sometimes people act out because they are hurt. The author uses words like ashamed and afraid which are great words to talk about with a class as it covers many emotions children this age may have but not understand. The colors are soft ...more
Judy
Feb 04, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic-books
The kids like the colorful pictures and the clear images that support the story. From a science viewpoint, I like the inclusion of several types of sea life. The Big Blue Whale is not a "killer," and lives on krill. Not many stories address the importance of krill to fish of all sizes.

Messages that can be pointed out as needed: Rumors are easy to start but hard to stop. Don't believe everything you hear, even if it sounds like a fact. Communication can solve a lot of problems. Big doesn't mean d
Sae Heo
The RAINBOW FISH AND THE BIG BLUE WHALE is really great book. When I read this book, I was impressive in this story. This book helps children solve problem with conflict in classroom. Also, children can try to understand other's situation through this book. Children are selfishness toward others, so children need to read this book for social-emotional skills.

Extension: After teacher read this book, discuss about solve-problem with conflict in classroom. Teacher ask "Why was whale hurt and grew
Lindsay
I really like the Rainbow Fish books. The first one came out when I was in elementary school, and I remember being in awe of the pictures and shimmery scales.

I used The Rainbow Fish and the Blue Whale for a Spanish and bilingual story time program about oceans. I used it as my 3-D story. At the library where I work, a 3-D story is a story that is told through flannel board art, props, or puppets. The props were ordered from a company, but I'm not sure exactly what the company is called or where
Cerita
This book would be a great way to show young children an example of how important communication to others is and how teamwork can benefit everyone involved. It would also be a good way to exhibit to children starting friendships with someone, as well as the benefits of sharing. The fish have shinny material on their scales which make a pleasant addition to the already beautiful illustrations.

Extension Activity: As a small group activity to get the children to practice teamwork concepts I would
Carolina
Excellent book abouit conflic resolution. It shows children that is normal to have problems and misunderstandings with anyone, friends, family,etc... But that any kind of problem is always fixable. This book teaches a very valuable lesson,a bout friendship as well. It also teaches children that just because someone is different doesn't mean you can't share with them. In this book the whale and the fish live together, and they are two completely different animals, size wise, but they are still ab ...more
Whole And
Sep 10, 2014 Whole And rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
We are just becoming acquainted with the Rainbow Fish books and like what we see so far.

The Blue Whale book is a wonderful story to discuss dealing with misunderstandings and hurt feelings with young children.

The moody sea fish's suspicion of the blue whale is contagious and soon the blue whale is finds himself hurt and misunderstood. His hurt turns to anger and worsens the matter.

Eventually, a brave soul of a fish has a long heart to heart with whale and all is mended.

A rich discussion can be
Laura Metts
Mar 29, 2014 Laura Metts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors, fish
This book is great it teaches about friendship and not judging others because of their appearance. As I was reading the book I saw a lot of words that would be great to introduce to children. There are many lessons and activities that can come from this book This book have beautiful illustration that were eye catching.

Marcus Pfister takes great joy in creating picture books for children. He has a wall decorated with a copy of each one of his books. He also have on the wall letter from children w
Shelby Dennis
Nov 28, 2012 Shelby Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a group of fish eating krill and a blue whale that was staring at them while they ate it. THe rainbow fish started thinking that the whale was going to eat them so they got scared and started saying mean things toward the whale. The whale heard and got angry and started to scare the fish off, until Rainbow fish approached him and told the whale that it was a mistake.

For a learning extension, I would have the kids talk about the differences of everyone. I would would have them
Melissa Gregory
Along with the many other Rainbow Fish series, this story is also a great one. This story is about a group of fish who share a home with a whale. Since they share the home, they must share the food. one day the school of fish got scared of the whale and fought and lost their home. Then they all apologize and became friends and found a new home for all of them. I love this book. It along with the other books in the series are definites on my bookshelf. This one is one of my alltime favorites. It ...more
Diana Acosta
Jan 29, 2015 Diana Acosta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
The book caught my attention the moment I saw it on the library book self because of the glitter scale on the fish. I did like the book because it has a moral of the story which teaches children to not judge other if they don't know them. It also teaches them on how to be good friends and if they had a bumpy ride they can move on and have a stronger friendship. The illustration are good and this book can be use before going to a trip to the aquarium. This book is good for ages 5-7 and I can reco ...more
Marianne Moseley
The big blue whale moves into the reef and the fish feel threaten by his presence. One of the fish says something to the whale and hurts his feelings which results in a fight. The rainbow fish resolves the problem and everyone is happy once again. This book is a great story to use during a lesson about conflict resolution.

I would do an activity about differences with the children. Each child will make an art project about the characteristics about themselves and we would talk about the differen
Amber Zanfordino
one of my favorite books. This book is so engaging. I love the whole concept of this book and what it teaches. It teaches children about judging others, about conflicts, conflict resolutions and friendships.

Learning Experiences:

1. The children can create their own school of fish. Each child can use different materials, colors, etc. At the end of the activity the children can gathers together with their fish and pretend to swim.

2. the children can also talk about some of the conflicts they have
Leah Puckett
This is a story about a group of fish who share a home with a whale. Rainbow fish had to talk to the whale about the conflict that happened. After talking about the conflict, they all apologize and became friends again. They find a new home for all of them to live in. This book sends a good message to children about friendships and how to keep good friends, even when conflict arises.

Learning Experience:
For this book I would retell it using a flannel or magnetic board. The children could also use
Aaron Alexander
This is an excellent book to teach young students about conflict resolution. In the story, the Rainbow Fish and his friends have a misunderstanding with the Big Blue Whale which results in a fight. One of the other fish says something mean to the whale which makes him angry so he tries to scare the other fish. It is not until the Rainbow Fish talks with the big blue whale that they figure out their misunderstanding.

This book can also show children that, just because someone is different (a big b
Savannah Work
"Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale" can be used to explore multiple concepts. Such as, color and art, social emotional development, language development, and science/ ocean life. The book gives information on what fish eat and where they live, it also shows children not to judge someone because they are different from them.

Learning Experience: fill a sensory table with water and krill (packing peanuts), give the children different sizes nets to represent the different fish and the whale. Have
Ariel S
Title: Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale
Author: Marcus Pfister. He is a Swiss author and illustrator. He lives in Berne, Switzerland.
Illustrator: Marcus Pfister
Review: This is a wonderful read for young children it teaches them many valuable traits. One of the traits include teaching children how to deal with their feelings. Another main component in this book are good vocabulary words such as sinister. This book is a great read for children in 4-7 years of age.
Sujeewa Ranasinghe
This book has very colorful illustrations and easily can get children's attention. The story also gives valuable lesson for children do not misunderstand people by how they looks, therefore, first talk about the problem and then resolve it. This book helps children to learn about friendship. After reading this book children can talk about their friends. Teacher can explain how strong friendship make fun.
Paula Heller
The illustrations in this book were incredible! If you love shimmering and vivid pictures, this is a great story to look at. The book is filled with colorful fish that sparkle on each page, making the fish come to life. This story teaches children how to problem solve by talking to others. It also teaches them that everyone is different and not everyone will see the world in the same way. This books shows children how to comprise and respect others.
Kaelyn Wickline
Jan 27, 2016 Kaelyn Wickline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, series, friends
The book is one of the many rainbow fish books. Its a favorite among child (mainly girls) and is a great story to read and talk about. It teaches children about sharing and not judging people on their looks. It teaches them to make friends and if there is a problem with somebody else to talk it out. After the story you can talk about how solving problems between each other is easy by just talking to each other about what happened.
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • Who Wants A Dragon?
  • Slugs in Love
  • The Animal Boogie
  • Big Al
  • Humphrey the Lost Whale
  • Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to Sleep
  • Happy Thanksgiving, Biscuit!
  • Oh! What a Surprise!
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • The Berenstain Bears Don't Pollute (Anymore)
  • The Runaway Rice Cake
  • Clifford's First Christmas
  • Big Little
  • Spring is Here
Marcus Pfister was born in Berne, Switzerland, and began his career as a graphic artist in an advertising agency. In 1983, he decided to dedicate more time to artistic pursuits, and began to write and illustrate his first book, The Sleepy Owl, which was published in 1986. His best-known work to date is The Rainbow Fish, which has remained on bestseller lists across the United States since 1992.

Mar
More about Marcus Pfister...