Start by marking “The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism” as Want to Read:
The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism

The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism

Tis book, already translated into ten languages, may at frst sight appear to be just about honeybees and their biology. It c- tains, however, a number of deeper messages related to some of the most basic and important principles of modern biology. Te bees are merely the actors that take us into the realm of phys- ology, genetics, reproduction, biophysics and learning, and ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Springer (first published March 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Buzz about Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buzz about Bees

Julie-anna Child
Nov 10, 2016 Julie-anna Child rated it it was amazing
This is the book that made the difference for me as a new beekeeper, great images and concepts explained vividly.
William Herschel
Falls into the fate of so many books with a scientific researcher behind the pen, attempting to write for a more general audience -- it fails. More and more I think that audience is quite important, especially in nonfiction. You simply can't write about a topic with everyone in mind or this will happen. It's a collage of basics and paragraphs that one can't make sense of due to technical jargon.

But I've already grown accustomed to this. Maybe a book like this isn't supposed to aim for perfection
Eli
May 23, 2011 Eli rated it liked it
Amazing photography. The science however, while fascinating, is so dense and jumps unnervingly from one discipline to the next - often in a single paragraph. The blurb on the author touts his ability to make deep science accessible to laypeople. This book at least sadly misses that mark. The translation also is at times confusing, and other times clearly making up new words and constructs - and not in a good way. I'd still recommend it, just know what you're getting into: a tough textbook ...more
James Prentice
Jun 07, 2015 James Prentice rated it it was amazing
There is so much to say about this book. It's full of lovely pictures that illustrate most of the points in the book.

The book is about bees and not bee keeping, but it gave me a lot of things to think about while managing our hives.

Because I know how important bees are, I wish everyone would read this book.

It's a real pleasure and well done. There are a few dry patches but I think anyone with an interest will enjoy this read.
Luboš
Jun 10, 2014 Luboš rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bees
Úžasná kniha, fenomenální fotografie. Snažím se omezit počet knih v mé knihovně, ale tenhle kousek mi tam nesmí chybět. Jde o doporučenou vysokoškolskou učebnici ČZU Praha, ale je srozumitelná i laikům.
Anna
Jun 23, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ag-food
Expertly written with current research and amazing photos. Not a mention of the trouble bees seem to be in; maybe they are confident the superorganism that is the honeybee hive can get through all the turmoil.
Zinger
Dec 28, 2010 Zinger rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
This book was is about honey bees and not about beekeeping. I did not now about "heater bees" and found that information fascinating. The chapter on beeswax was also interesting.
david kyger
david kyger rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Bloomy
Bloomy rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Patrizia Cini
Patrizia Cini rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2013
Cambio
Cambio rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2015
C
C rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Pacgoldplover
Pacgoldplover rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Beatrice Hartz
Beatrice Hartz rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2014
George
George rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Adrian
Adrian rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Gord
Nov 24, 2009 Gord rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beekeeping
Excellent reference volume on the biology of the honeybee. The pictures alone are worth the price.
Penny
Penny rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2009
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Varun
Varun rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2009
Lissa
Lissa rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
Bill Breedlove
Bill Breedlove rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2010
Stewart
Stewart rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
Andika Putra
Andika Putra rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2013
Marc
Marc rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015