Start by marking “The Secret of Annexe 3 (Inspector Morse, #7)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Secret of Annexe 3
Colin Dexter

The Secret of Annexe 3 (Inspector Morse #7)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,340 ratings  ·  76 reviews
"Morse sought to hide his two-fold disappointment... So many people at the Haworth Hotel that fatal evening had been wearing some sort of disguise - a change of dress, a change of make-up, a change of attitude, a change of partner, a change of life almost; and the man who had died had been the most consummate artist of them all."

For the New Year's party celebration, hardl
Published (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of Annexe 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of Annexe 3

The Secret of Annexe 3 is the seventh book in Colin Dexter's "Inspector Morse" series. We are now at the midpoint of the series, and Morse is firmly fixed in his irascible curmudgeon role. He is now 54. One minor character says he is "distinctly brusque and hostile" on her first encounter with him. Another describes him as "disturbingly strange, this man with the hard-staring, startling eyes - eyes that reminded her of the more fanatical politicians… that seem uncommunicative or unseeing, eyes ...more
This is not an easy book to rate. On the one hand, Dexter is very good at describing details, and his humor is evident from the start. On the other hand, he gets too arrogant for his britches. I got the impression there isn't a huge amount of difference between Dexter, the author, and Morse, his sometimes insufferable detective. In any event, this is not a straightforward mystery. There's lots of deviations from the plot that don't come off as red herrings so much as devices merely to confuse th ...more
I'm on a Colin Dexter jag at the moment, thanks to a generous gift of an entire box of Dexters and PD James....
I love the TV Morse series, but, Dexter's books are rich in vocabulary, interesting observations, and quotes from the Classics.
Dexter is not like Christie. You pretty much know who did it from the's the slow unravelling of how, why..and Morse's thinking that winds you into the story.

Yes, I'm a die-hard mystery lover; it is my brain-candy. and Colin Dexter is endlessly satis
Susan Johnson
Inspector Morse is finally starting to grow more likable. He is not as bumbling as in his earlier books and not quite as lecherous. He does make a date with one of the witnesses and you would really hate him to go cold turkey. The murder takes place at a hotel's New Year Eve's Eve party. While the story is middling, Lewis and Morse's relationship makes the book enjoyable.
Although I found this mostly enjoyable, the solution was pretty convoluted. I need to mull it over...
I've been reading an occasional Colin Dexter re-release, and this one especially makes me feel a little uncomfortable. The cumulative effect of his books is a shade misogynistic. Of course, we all know that Morse is a delicate genius, but the women in these books tend to be hard, unexpectedly coarse, totally under the influence of often brutal men...At any rate, the body found after the New Year's gala is unidentified, so the first task is finding out which of the happy couples at the revelry ar ...more

Read by................... Michael Pennington
Total Runtime.......... 6 hours 42 mins

Description: 'Morse sought to hide his disappointment. So many people in the Haworth Hotel that fatal evening had been wearing some sort of disguise - a change of dress, a change of make-up, a change of partner, a change of attitude, a change of life almost: and the man who had died had been the most consummate artist of them all...' Chief inspector Morse seldom allowed himself to be caught up in New Year celebra
Sembra quasi che con il passare degli anni l'ispettore capo si sia deciso a scambiare qualche muso lungo e grugnito con un buon numero di battute argute e addirittura qualche guizzo allegro; che riesca persino a trovarsi entro fine carriera una compagna che sappia tenergli testa? Certo è che di cantonate continua regolarmente a prenderne, seguendo un filo narrativo che appare ormai quasi prevedibile. C'è però una novità: stavolta, per la prima metà del libro, Morse e Lewis sono praticamente tras ...more
My first Dexter book with low rating. Beginning was dragging and very tedious. For more than half part of book Dexter kept beating around the bush; tedious details of surroundings, hotel rooms etc. It seemed Dexter did not have much to write so kept writing about everything else except the things that needed to move the story forward. the weakest book in series so far!
I love Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse series, and this entry is no exception. The plots are complicated and twisting, filled with red herrings and (often several) false solutions. The real draw for me in the series, however, is the beautifully written main characters: the exceedingly literate Oxford-educated, opera-loving, crossword-solving Chief Inspector Morse, and his salt-of-the-earth, long suffering Sergeant Lewis.
After seeing almost all of the Inspector Morse series on television, I decided to try reading my first Colin Dexter book; online reviews were fairly negative, but I decided to risk it. They were right. Morse was more openly lecherous, Lewis bore almost no resemblance to Kevin Whately's sidekick at all, and the plot ... yeah, I'd say "lame" fits.
Rob Smith
This Colin Dexter entry in the Inspector Morse series is as well written as the rest I've read. Great writing with a way overblown narrative. This book needed severe editing to create a great book. Dexter's writing makes the journey through this mired story worth the trip. But great writing doesn't excuse poor story construction.

The best parts of the book, as usual, are when Morse is involved. Unfortunately, Morse is missing more than usual. Much is written about everything else that is excessiv
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Anirban Das
THE SECRET OF ANNEXE 3 by Colin Dexter is the seventh instalment in the Inspector Morse series of crime novels. Morse is called from his recess to investigate the murder of a man dressed up as a Rastafarian in the Haworth Hotel. The hotel hosting its annual New Years fancy dress ball had guests dressed up in one form or the other, with the murder victim dressing up like a Rastafari. No sooner does Morse start looking into the case, than he is hounded by the fact that most of the guests, who chos ...more
An Odd1
Thomas Bowman finds a letter incriminating his wife Margaret for adultery. Inspector Morse must connect him to the body of a
Rastaferian-costumed first place winner killed in a hotel annexe
(addition) after a New Year masquerade. He won first prize, and
left black actor grease-paint prints on ladies' light colored clothes.

If boyfriend Edward Wilkin's pub audience gave him an alibi, how could his Rastafarian band-mate Winston Grant be at the scene either? Eating little, Muslim avoiding pork, is n

The Secret of Annexe 3 (Inspector Morse)

More involved with every page, June 1, 2013

This review is from: The Secret of Annexe 3 (Inspector Morse)

I am a huge fan of Inspector Morse & Lewis or should I say Colin Dexter.

Why are you such a huge fan of this series you may ask?

...because the author has me involved from the first page on and it is no different in this entry, "The Secret of Annexe 3".

John Binyan, the proprieter at Haworth Hotel is planning a gala event to include a costume part
A murder occurs during the New Year's Eve hotel reunion. Agatha Christie style, Chief Inspector Morse and Lewis are in charge of solving the mistery. They are typical investigators with alcohol problems, crosswords and Lewis is as faithful as a dog. In both this and Death is now my neighbour, the English is of good level with some Latin. Annexe 3 is a more standard thriller with a few other stories crossing the plot as well as a glimpse into Morse personal life.
This one had so much going on, and there was far more guesswork and fancy than police procedure throughout. I guess I prefer the stories where they really follow the process. It was definitely a mystery, and I didn't see all the turnings. But this one had too much convolution for my taste. A good mystery but I didn't care for it. (Also the only installment they didn't make into a tv episode, I think).
-Un buon giallo-
Un giallo classico, con protagonisti simpatici ed una trama ben pensata e sviluppata.
Un omicidio in un hotel, la notte di Capodanno, ad una festa in maschera. Persone che scompaiono, tracce sulla neve che non ci sono, storie che a poco a poco vengono a galla. Un giallo che incuriosisce e piacevole da seguire.
Posso dire che il mio primo Dexter mi ha soddisfatta.
Tempting to give this Morse novel, the second I've read, 3 stars for its readability and, I don't know, it's good naturedness. But it doesn't deserve it, really, and it seems it is generally regarded as one of the weakest in the series. Might be worth dipping next time into one of the two Morse novels Dexter won prizes for - The Wench is Dead and The Way Through the Woods.
incipit mania

Quando il vecchio morì non vi fu grande gaudio nei cieli, e neanche profondo dolore nella Charlbury Drive.....
Il segreto della camera 3
Cindy Grossi
Picked this up at a yard sale or somewhere. Have never read this series. Quirky British detective with a sidekick and an extensive vocabulary. It was good enough for a vacation read. Wouldn't turn another in the series down, but won't be shaking the bushes looking for a prequel or sequel, either.
Nicola Furlong
My first audio version of an Inspector Morse Mystery, heard while ferrying and busing from Victoria to Vancouver.

Read by Kevin Whately, which was fun as he plays the long suffering sidekick Lewis on the TV version. I'm not sure if it was the adaptation, but I found the omniscient point of view disappointing and irritating. The story is told in past and present, with little dialogue and lots of hopping from one character's thoughts to another.

The plot was interesting enough and complicated by ma
Gillar Morse och Lewis som kriminalare, trots att Dexters stundtals gör dem, eller i vart fall Morse, tämligen sexistiska. Det märks att böckerna numera är daterade, om än fortfarande underhållande pga Dexters rappa och intelligenta stil. Det relativt låga betyget beror på ett alldeles för långsökt och rörigt slut.
Bello come i precedenti, anzi forse un po' più spiritoso. La storia è forse un po' più involuta?, aggrovigliata?, delle precedenti, mentre Morse diventa sempre più Morse e Lewis sempre più Lewis. Finito questo libro mi verrebbe voglia di festeggiare con un paio di birrette alla Morse o con uova e patatine, alla Lewis.
Colin Mitchell
Boyfriend did it. Morse as usual went off on several wrong tracks before arriving at the solution. Girlfriend seemed to get away as Morse failed to think outside of the box. Came to rather an abrupt ending.
Almost forgot I read this. Less than 200 pages. The mystery was very convoluted and frankly I don't think in real life it would work, but to explain why would give away the game.
It was a good yarn. However, some loose ends were left at the conclusion. Don't expect Agatha Christie style explanations at the end, because they are not forthcoming.
Harry Casey
An Inspector Morse mystery. All of these are good reads. This one asks you to suspend some beliefs in order to work. But still worth your time.
Abbastanza intricato e comunque di lettura piacevole. Comincio ad affezionarmi al commissario Morse!
Audiobooks: The Secret of Annexe Three 1 22 Nov 22, 2013 11:44AM
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Night Frost (Inspector Frost, #3)
  • The Haunted Season: A Max Tudor Mystery (A Max Tudor Mystery, #5)
  • Unnatural Causes (Adam Dalgliesh, #3)
  • Dick Francis's Front Runner
  • A Sleeping Life (Inspector Wexford, #10)
  • English Country House Murders:  Classic Crime Fiction of Britain's Upper Crust
  • Scene of Crime (Lloyd & Hill, #11)
  • A Question of Blood (Inspector Rebus, #14)
Norman Colin Dexter, OBE (born 29 September 1930 in Stamford, Lincolnshire) is an English crime writer, known for his Inspector Morse novels.

He started writing mysteries in 1972 during a family holiday: "We were in a little guest house halfway between Caernarfon and Pwllheli. It was a Saturday and it was raining - it's not unknown for it to rain in North Wales. The children were moaning ... I was
More about Colin Dexter...

Inspector Morse (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse, #1)
  • Last Seen Wearing (Inspector Morse, #2)
  • The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn (Inspector Morse, #3)
  • Service of All the Dead (Inspector Morse, #4)
  • The Dead of Jericho (Inspector Morse, #5)
  • The Riddle of the Third Mile (Inspector Morse, #6)
  • The Wench Is Dead (Inspector Morse, #8)
  • The Jewel That Was Ours (Inspector Morse, #9)
  • The Way Through The Woods (Inspector Morse, #10)
  • Morse's Greatest Mystery and Other Stories

“I keep six honest serving-men (They taught me all I knew): Their names are What and Why and When And How and Where and Who. (RUDYARD KIPLING)” 0 likes
“A man is in general better pleased when he has a good dinner upon his table than when his wife talks Greek. (SAMUEL JOHNSON)” 0 likes