Start by marking “An Atlas of Fantasy” as Want to Read:
An Atlas of Fantasy

An Atlas of Fantasy

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
To remain of manageable size, the Atlas excludes advertising maps, cartograms, most disproportionate maps, and alternate history ("might have been") maps, focusing instead on imaginary lands derived from literary sources. It purposefully omits "one-to-one" maps such as Thomas Hardy's Wessex (which merely renames places in southwest England), but includes Barsetshire and Yo ...more
Published January 1st 1979 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about An Atlas of Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Atlas of Fantasy

Terence
Sep 10, 2008 Terence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have managed to acquire a copy of this childhood favorite. It was only $1.98 but they got me with shipping and handling. Still it only came to about $8, less than I paid for the original copy, which fell apart because the binding couldn't take the constant page turning.

Poring over these maps eventually led me to the works of James Branch Cabell, E.R. Eddison, Austin Wright, Leigh Brackett and Clark Ashton Smith. I even heard about William Faulkner from this book since there's a map of Yoknapat
Christine
A quaint collection of fantasy maps -- growing up an avid reader of fantasy lit, I was used to seeing these gracing the beginnings of each novel. Fascinating to flip through and pore over. I'd love to see a more modern version.
Shawn
Nov 10, 2010 Shawn rated it really liked it
Another book from my childhood, a good companion with Alberto Manguel's The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic this has all kinds of maps of various fantasy lands from their original publications. Made me love maps as a child.
Charles
Aug 11, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, nonfiction
It's a nonfiction book about fantasy worlds, including worlds created by writers such as Burroughs, Robert E. Howard, Tolkien and many others, even such writers as Thomas More's "Utopia" and John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress."

Well worth getting. Just cool to browse through.
Douglas Summers-Stay
This is a collection of maps from fantasy novels-- the original maps included in the novels, not redrawn. It was put together in the 1970s so doesn't include a lot of the ones you would put in if you made such a book today. You can get it for the cost of shipping from Amazon.
Tom Burridge
Tom Burridge rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Erik Belsaas
Erik Belsaas rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Ted
Ted rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Mytrice
Mytrice rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Jason Stewart
Jason Stewart rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Steven Smith
Steven Smith rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2015
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Dunx
Dunx added it
May 12, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Tom Piddock
Tom Piddock rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Matthew Lang
Matthew Lang rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Trevor
Trevor added it
Mar 02, 2015
Geoffrey
Geoffrey rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Karly Zouppas
Karly Zouppas marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Jeremiah Parrish
Jeremiah Parrish rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2014
Matt Bogen
Matt Bogen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Erica Alex
Erica Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014