Start by marking “Buffalo Yoga: Poems” as Want to Read:
Buffalo Yoga: Poems

Buffalo Yoga: Poems

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"[Wright's] penetrating and ravishingly gorgeous lyrical poems are at once classically philosophical and freshly revealing" (Booklist)

Never has Charles Wright's vision been more closely aligned with the work of the ancient Chinese painters and writers who inform his poetry than in his newest collection. Wright's short lyrics, in Charles Simic's words, "achieve a level of e
Published April 1st 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Buffalo Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffalo Yoga

Katie Joiner
Wright has such an amazing voice that penetrates deep. His poetry is that of a man with beautiful vision; you can feel the power and depth and meaning to his words. He doesn't write to write, nor does he write to express emotions beyond himself. He does what he does because it's a part of him. I feel, every time I read a poem, that he's just given me a little-or big-piece of himself. Five star, buy it, buy multiple copies for your friends, definately. My copy is well worn. (:
Karen S. E.  Raven
The landscape is empty of buffalos. There is a lot of reference to the North American landscape and nature which is well interwoven with what is going on in the poems but there are no bison and there is no yoga. There are hintings into the direction of eastern philosophies and views but the main philospophical and theological setting is western Christian. I like the poems as such but I do not see the connection to the title.
Patrick Mcgee
Definitely Wright's signature style is present. These take a bit longer to get to the emotional impact as they are more journal-like in appearance and style. Still good, just not his best. Recommended.
Brinley
I had a feeling I would love this...and I was right! Rekindled my love for Chinese landscape poetry, with the quietness and softness of being. Glad I have this on my shelf to revisit.
Cassa
Read it for class; didn't find it particularly interesting. There were a few excellent lines, but they were buried in excessively long poems.
SmarterLilac
Excellent. This is the kind of book that makes me want to stop writing because no poetry I produce will ever be this good.
Lindsey
Favorites: "Portrait of the Artist in a Prospect of Stone," "January II," "My Own Little Civil War"
SEY
SEY added it
May 27, 2015
Shaund
Shaund is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2015
Maria Sarivan
Maria Sarivan marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Carlos Baeza
Carlos Baeza marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Dani Scher
Dani Scher marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Ashish
Ashish added it
Nov 01, 2013
Monica Madaus
Monica Madaus marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Black Zodiac The World of the Ten Thousand Things: Poems 1980-1990 Appalachia: Poems Negative Blue: Selected Later Poems A Short History of the Shadow: Poems