Start by marking “Asking for Trouble” as Want to Read:
Asking for Trouble

Asking for Trouble

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  7,310 Ratings  ·  405 Reviews
Unmarried, thirty-year-old Sophy Metcalfe told a little white he to soothe her nagging mother. The white lies name was "Dominic," the ideal boyfriend: charming, successful, the kind of prospective son-in-law that would make any mother proud. But now that Sophy's thin and beautiful sister, Belinda, is getting married, Dominic is going to have to make an appearance in the fl ...more
Published September 4th 2001 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2000)

Inge
Reasons why The Wedding Date is better than Asking for Trouble

This scene

Unfortunately, this is another case of Movie Is Better Than Book. In this case, I know The Wedding Date is not perfect, but it is my favourite movie and it makes me smile every single time I watch it, no matter how unrealistic or predictable it is. I watch it whenever I have a really bad day and it never fails to cheer me up. Asking for Trouble did not make me smile once. The main character pissed me off, the story w
Denise
Sep 23, 2007 Denise rated it it was amazing
My dear friend Heather lent me this book and told me that I had to read it. The novel Asking for Trouble is what the movie The Wedding Date was based on. The movie was completely disappointing because the book is hundreds of miles better. The book is filled with innocent misunderstandings and such depth of emotional plot between the characters that it is hard not to get wrapped up with them. I had to go out and buy it before I returned my friend's copy and have since re-read it countless time ...more
Lix Hewett
Jan 16, 2011 Lix Hewett rated it did not like it
Alright written, would be fine if not for all the rampant internalized misogyny, boy delirium and weight obsession. I couldn't like or relate to the main character, no matter how hard I tried, because she was so horrible to other women and hard on herself in a way that came across as insignificant and self-righteous. The writer also insists on having every single female character have broken up with their exes because the guys cheated on them -- which comes across as a case of "women become unli ...more
Pam Nelson
3 Wedding Date Stars

Not like the movie...AT ALL..
I loved the movie so much I have watched it more times than I care to say without looking like a crazy person.

so when I had a few hours to kill I thought I would grab this book. It was not anything like I was expecting.

It's an OK book not one I would've seek out on my own. Not really memorable if I'm being honest.

it was just a good book to pass the time and that's OK not every book is going to be heart stopping or jaw-dropping right?

*You don't
Holly
May 29, 2013 Holly rated it did not like it
So sometimes a girl graduates from her great books school and says to herself, "I want to read trash! I want to read mush! I want to read the kind of book that I can speed through without missing anything and I want to love it."

So I got "Asking for Trouble" for 99 cents at a thrift store and tucked into what turned out to be an awful, awful book. The protagonist spends half of the book talking about how fat she is and the other half of her time is spent lying to everyone...including herself. It
Susana
Oct 30, 2012 Susana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Bridget Jones and of Jill Mansell stories
Presenting Sophy....

If you're in the mood for some british chick lit, then this book is for you. Have you read "Bridget Jones"?
Did you like it? If so, you're accostumed to female characters who are slightly neurotic, who see themselves as fat "cows"(her words, not mine)....and who see other women also as "cows", or "bitches". This book is of the same kind.
If you're expecting something along the lines (americanized ) of the movie, in that case, don't bother with this.

You know what i kept remember
Anne Osterlund
Sep 06, 2011 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sophie has one of THOSE mothers.

The kind that want the best for you. As long as you want what they want. And as long they can brag about you to the competition. And the competition is fierce. Especially when your younger sister is getting married. And you don’t even have a date to the wedding.

So Sophie hires one.

Josh. Who she intends to break up with immediately after the wedding.

But it turns out it can be even more difficult to break up with someone you aren’t really dating than with someone yo
Stephanie
Jan 22, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I learned about this book after watching The Wedding Date. The movie is very (and I do mean very) loosely based upon this book. So if you've seen the movie and don't think you want to read the book because you're expecting the same story, you're wrong. The only thing the two have in common is that the main character hires a man to be her boyfriend for her sister's wedding. Apart from that, the plot is completely different.

Sophy is pretty funny even if she talks about her "wobbly bits" a bit too
Miriam Mathew
Jan 16, 2013 Miriam Mathew rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-meh-stars, romance
It was okay. After watching 'The Wedding Date', I had hgh expectations for this novel and was really looking forward to reading it. Sadly, it wasn't up to standards. The only reason I'm giving this two stars and not one is because the banter between Sophy and Josh was actually quite lovely. Other than that, I didn't feel much chemistry between them. Josh felt more like a good friend than someone who you just couldn't wait to rip his clothes off.
♡Ann  Matalines♡
“If you ask me, it's all these skinny models that make girls anorexic," she went on, to Auntie Barbara. "I can't think why they don't use real girls with a few curves."

Angela
Apr 14, 2010 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did eventually get into this book but it took a long time. I never got to the point where I liked the protaganist, she was kind of a spineless neurotic, guilt-driven compulsive liar. Plus I thought the plot was kind of crowded, too many unnecessary characters and the dialogue was overdone. Meaning the author was clever with dialogue but a little too clever, some of it came across as forced.

Good book though, well written. Just not one of my favorites. Ah, but if you're really into British chic
Ann
Sep 21, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
I always liked "Will and Grace" so I watched Debra Messing and Dermot Mulroney in the romantic comedy called "The Wedding Date." The movie is based on this book -- or so the credits said. The book bears as much resemblance to the movie and F. Scott Fitzgerald's short story does to Brad Pitt's "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." Uh, not at all!

I say skip the book and watch the movie...something I RARELY say.
JillRock
Jul 17, 2007 JillRock rated it it was amazing
A million times better than the movie (The Wedding Date)! This book is hilarious! I love how Elizabeth Young's characters are always getting themselves into impossible situations -- too funny. The movie changed quite a bit, and in my opinion was not good.
Ice
Aug 07, 2011 Ice rated it really liked it
I'm not going to say anything like how it pleased be in the literary sense or whatnot, because really, for books like these, it's all about how they make you feel and whether you laughed and cried in the moments when the author intended for you to. This book delivered on that front, but beyond that, I really liked how, despite the ridiculous set-up and frustratingly inane characters, they still managed to feel so real. The overbearing mother hurrying her children off to marriage (not unlike Mrs. ...more
Ryann Murphy
Apr 06, 2008 Ryann Murphy rated it it was amazing
A funny British romp (ala Bridget Jones) this novel stars Sophy Metcalfe, a thirty-something woman who invents the perfect boyfriend to keep her mother off her back. Unfortunately, when her sister's wedding comes along her mother forces her hand and Sophy decides to hire an escort to help her get through the wedding weekend (instead of telling the truth, of course). When she begins to fancy the escort, she tells herself to curb her feelings...but what if he feels the same?

Sound familiar? This is
Manne Necker
Jan 19, 2014 Manne Necker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡Oh, Dios! Si, vi The Wedding date hace muuuucho tiempo, y a pesar que me apunté este libro de inmediato, lo olvidé hasta ahora. ¡Me ha encantado! Aunque la película no se parece mucho al libro, el libro me cautivó, es que Josh es extremadamente adorable, exquisito, divertido, simplemente perfecto. Y por supuesto Sophy no se queda atrás, está de remate y me hizo mucho reír. Excelentes personajes, divertida trama y me dejó con gusto a poco... a muy poco...
Johanna
Jul 09, 2012 Johanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge2012
Jan 06, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Such a great book! I got this because I liked the description and when I needed a break from the deep, loaded books, I picked this one up and was pleasantly surprised. I expected the typical girl falls in love with guy story, but it was well beyond that. Enough twists and unexpected surprises that kept me shocked many times throughout the book. I really thought I'd always know where the book was going, but many times I sat here thinking, "Man, I didn't see that coming!" I also enjoyed the writin ...more
Ana Luiza Lisboa
Jun 15, 2016 Ana Luiza Lisboa rated it really liked it
Ok, like other people said before, the books has nothing to do with the movie. I believe they give credits because of the whole hire-an-escort idea. I bought the book anyway knowing this and I really liked it.

To me, the author writes in a lite and funny way. Even though sometimes I dislike Sophy and her behavior, I can relate with other traits in her personality. The style of the book reminded me o Shopaholic, for example.

If you're expecting to find the movie in a book don't buy it. But if you
Tracy Walters
Jul 09, 2011 Tracy Walters rated it liked it
I started reading this book and thought "Wait a minute....I know this story...haven't I seen this movie?!?!?!" I googled the book and yep....I was right......the movie is "The Wedding Date" and I just saw it about 6 months ago. The book starts out the same but goes in a very different direction after the wedding and was definitely better than the movie....aren't the books always better than the movie versions?!?!? It was a light and fun read...there are some terms in the book that I am going to ...more
Alice
Jun 27, 2011 Alice rated it really liked it
The film The Wedding Date is one of my favourite rom-coms, and I've seen it a few times. I'd been meaning to check out the book it was based on for some time, and finally got around to it recently - so glad I did! It was a very fun, smart, satisfying chick-lit; Liz Young is now on par with Sophie Kinsella in my library. :) I like how Sophy was actually pretty and confident about herself - it IS possible to know you're pretty enough to turn heads, and still be terribly self-conscious and insecure ...more
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Sophy Metcalfe lied to her mother and made up "Dominic". He is supposed to be her successful boyfriend. Now her sister is getting married and Sophy has to produce "Dominic" as her date to the wedding. Sophies friend talks her into hiring an escort. If they can pull it off the wedding may just go off without a hitch.

I listened to this in audio form and really enjoyed it. It was perfect for lifting my sour mood. It was narrated by Jasmine Hyde and I find and I find I enjoy her work as well. Overal
Marttha Zazueta
Mar 25, 2014 Marttha Zazueta rated it really liked it
Uff, hace bastante que me vi The Wedding Date y si la película me gustó, dije "¿Y por qué el libro no ha de hacerlo?" (Descubrí que estaba inspirada en un libro, lo descargué y estuvo en mi lista de pendientes por algún tiempo).

Es verdad que es muy distinto a la película pero la personalidad de Josh, ¡Me encantó! Y Sophy, bueno, me hizo reír bastante. Ese Paul en verdad que es un imbécil, ¿eh?
Jessica
Oct 20, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Sophy was a fun character and there was just something about Josh that I enjoyed. I hated Belinda from the beginning, and it didn't surprise me with how her part in the story turned out. After I finished the book I read that this is what the movie The Wedding Date was based on. I could see very very loose similarities, but just by the basic plot. I personally thought this book was better!
Blackransel
Oh, karakter utama wanitanya kocak. di bagian awal banyak bisa membuatku tertawa-tawa geli. cukup kaget dengan rahasia yg terbongkar di bagian akhir.
walaupun Josh bukanlah karakter pria idamanku. karena di sini dia disebutkan sebagai mantan marinir, agaknya aku membayangkan dia seperti tentara yang cukuran rambutnya cepak di bagian samping kepala dan tebal di bagian atas.
Andrea
3.5
Una historia que no tiene nada del otro mundo.. lo leí por que vi la pelicula hace algunos años.
Hasta la mitad del libro me reí como loca, en la mitad queria ahorcar a la prota y algún otro personaje, al final aun quería cachetear a la prota, y el tipo... pfff demasiado bueno para ser cierto.
Pero es una lectura divertida y eso se aprecia :)

Mary Pessaran
Mar 20, 2012 Mary Pessaran rated it it was amazing
I read the comments that said this book was so much better than the movie "The Wedding Date," and I heartily agree. Josh, the hired escort, was truly one of my favorite male characters in chick literature. Funny, sarcastic, nice but not too over the top for Sophie. The book has quite a bit of English slang, so sometimes, I had to stop and think about the meanings.

A fun read.
Gwen
Nov 11, 2015 Gwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Merci à Loucy pour ce livre, j'ai adoré !

Un livre avec beaucoup d'humour, de scènes et des personnages hauts en couleur.
J'ai beaucoup aimé les différents personnages principaux comme secondaires, notamment l'héroine et ces mensonges en tout genre; j'ai juste trouvé qu'elle pardonnait un peu trop facilement à sa soeur.

Excellente découverte de cet auteur que je ne connaissais pas !
Barb Wilson
Jun 19, 2013 Barb Wilson rated it it was ok
This was enjoyable but not as good as the movie based on this book: The Wedding Date.
Elektragedia
wow me encanto el libro y mi frase favorita es la de la piña quien lo ha leído me entiende, es un libro picante y jugoso

• Dog Handling
  • Frenemies
  • Fashionistas
  • The Ex Files
  • 32AA
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • Me Times Three
  • Good Luck
  • Little White Lies
  • Alphabet Weekends
  • An Ideal Husband; A Woman of No Importance
  • Carrie Pilby
Librarian note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.
Elizabeth Young started writing after holding a variety of jobs that included modeling for TV commercials in Cyprus and working for the Sultan's Armed Forces in Oman. She has two daughters and lives in Surrey with her husband who never once told her to forget writing and get a "proper" job.
More about Elizabeth Young...

can't think why they don't use real girls with a few curves."

"Stands to reason, Jenny." Auntie B. was as pinkly flushed as Mum. "All the designers are gay—they
don't want bosoms in their clothes, or bottoms, either. Not proper, girls' bottoms.”
3 likes
“Shoving the ends at him, I headed for the common. It wasn't far away: a green, tree-lined oasis, brightened with many seasonal varieties of Coca-Can discardus, Crisp-packetus-cheese-and-onionus, and the occasional, fragrant dog turd underfoot.” 1 likes