Start by marking “Asking for Trouble” as Want to Read:
Asking for Trouble

Asking for Trouble

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  144 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Sexual noir in contemporary Brighton, England: when bar manager Beth Bradshaw meets the smoky Ilya, a man with a past,he lures Beth into a seedy world where the lines between reality and fantasy blur. Beth shouldextricate herself, but does she really want to? ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Virgin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Asking for Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asking for Trouble

Bared to You by Sylvia DayReflected in You by Sylvia DayGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardThe Siren by Tiffany ReiszGabriel's Rapture by Sylvain Reynard
Smut for the Smart
235th out of 1,260 books — 1,834 voters

More lists with this book...

Vanessa Wu
Oct 03, 2011 Vanessa Wu rated it it was amazing
As a writer of erotica, there are many things I've tried to learn from this book. How to make condoms sexy. How to coarsen my vocabulary. When to let my heroine wear knickers with a gusset. And many other tricks of the trade.

But there's one thing that, for my money, Kristina does better than any other writer of erotica, and that's to use her sophisticated mastery of language to describe quite complex physical sensations. She does it very simply and accurately and the effect is very powerful.

Don'
penelopewanders
Mar 06, 2010 penelopewanders rated it really liked it
Initially I really liked this one, and then went through a longish phase of being annoyed by all the main character was willing to put up with. I guess this is mainly when Tony and his crew got involved... but basically found it an interesting power play. Bit over the top though. Interesting to read about Brighton which is probably one of the few cities in the UK where I've actually hung out and so can relate to some of the places described.
Betsy
Nov 05, 2013 Betsy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica, bad-boys, taboo
Waaaay outside my comfort zone. I usual pride myself on being able to handle some pretty gnarly things in books, but this took me too far. The blurb kind of clues you into what will happen between Beth and Ilya, but be advised, there are some seriously upsetting things that go one between the two of them. The idea that Beth wants to be degraded was very difficult for me to stomach, but I soldiered on. I had heard good things. (view spoiler) ...more
Hannah
Oct 31, 2012 Hannah rated it did not like it
No just no, i don't know what it was about this book but it just didn't do anything for me. ive read lots of erotica mainly paranormal and i though wow im gonna love this. perhaps id hipped it up to much before hand. Nether the less i didn't like the style in which the book was written. The plot was to to raw for the Gothic style of writing. The characters were unbelievable dense, i like my charterers intelligent and witty. Maybe i will try another read at it but for now i wouldn't recommend it. ...more
Kelly Van den Broecke
neen, dit was niet mijn ding. ik heb al veel erotische verhalen gelezen maar dit ging mij een beetje te ver. het spel op zich, de fantasie en het rollenspel was ok maar sommige dingen vond ik te veel over the top. het was wel leuk dat ilya zo mysterieus was en dan wou je wel weten in wat hij allemaal verwikkeld was.
Rebecca  Porter
May 11, 2015 Rebecca Porter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica, fiction, romance
I liked this book. It was pretty fearless with some parts of erotica it explored and though a few of the scenes were not my thing, the writing was wonderful enough to keep me engaged. I very much liked the female lead and even when it came to an end and the final chapters were the polar opposite of what I expected, I felt fulfilled by the story. Great!
Nicole
Aug 01, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really uncomfortable to read. I thought I was able to handle a lot but this book showed me otherwise. I'll leave it at that.

However, the author really does have a captivating quality to her work and that's why I forced myself to finish it. It's the first work I've read by her and maybe I'll chance reading her stuff again but only with different subject matter.
Sara
Feb 22, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely outside my comfort zone, but I did enjoy this book. Lots of "I can't believe she's doing that!" But I guess that's the whole point, no?
Kanella
May 21, 2016 Kanella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally something different! Uncomfortable yes, but so much fun to read.
Sayonara
Oct 19, 2010 Sayonara rated it it was amazing
i love this book but i've read it in dutch (becouse i live in the netherlandss)and i wonder if it is difrent in englisch .there just one thing i dont like and it has nothing to do whit the book it self but because it is translated de name of the book is 'vurig velangen' that i dont understant but i dont mind but also the cover of the book has changed that i do mind .
but a fact is that i love this book and i cant get the characters out of my head its like i'm looking for them in real live
Erin Jeter
Nov 14, 2013 Erin Jeter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotic
11-9-13. I love this book so much....I'm reading it for a second time!

I loved it until the end...I really wanted them to actually fall in love and cut the strangers out of their kink and continue their exploration in what they desire. But other than the ending I really liked it and I LOVED the accents!! I can never get enough of the British accents...one day I WILL visit London!!!
Alana Voth
Feb 22, 2015 Alana Voth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Cuttlefish." XO.
K
Mar 12, 2010 K rated it liked it
This book wasn't what I thought it would be. It's not exactly my cup of tea yet I found myself reading it with repulsed fascination.
Lily Harlem
Nov 02, 2010 Lily Harlem rated it it was amazing
Awesome book that I couldn't put down.
Susan
Sep 30, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer English
Jennifer English marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
gloria achilleous
gloria achilleous rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Jillian
Jillian rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Lou Wooten
Lou Wooten marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Elke
Elke added it
Apr 10, 2016
Raquel
Raquel rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Scola
Scola marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Grace Ellen
Grace Ellen rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Carolyn Amundson
Carolyn Amundson rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2016
Jahnelle
Jahnelle marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it did not like it
Mar 05, 2016
CaraRead
CaraRead rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Tracey Giesbrecht
Tracey Giesbrecht rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Raquel Alexandra
Raquel Alexandra marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
  • He's on Top: Erotic Stories of Male Dominance and Female Submission
  • Elicitation (The Training of Eileen, #1)
  • Submissive Desires
  • His Submissive
  • Safe Word (Carrie’s Story #2)
  • The Stranger
  • Female Perversions
  • The Waiting Room
  • Herotica 1: A Collection of Women's Erotic Fiction
  • My One
  • Platinum (Facets of Passion #2)
  • Unholy Promises (Chronicles of Surrender, #3)
  • Under Her Thumb: Erotic Stories of Female Domination
  • Lipstick on his Collar
  • The She-Devils
  • What Worse Place Can I Beg in Your Love?
  • Gordon
  • Hearts Under Fire  (New Amsterdam, #1)
Kristina Lloyd is a UK author of erotica whose fiction centres on female sexual submission. Her novels are published by Black Lace and her short stories have appeared in numerous anthologies, including several "Best of" collections in both the UK and US.

Kristina has been described as "a fresh literary talent" who "writes sex with a formidable force".

Find out more on Kristina's site
More about Kristina Lloyd...