Start by marking “What to Say When You Talk to Yourself” as Want to Read:
What to Say When You Talk to Yourself

What to Say When You Talk to Yourself

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  7,273 Ratings  ·  175 Reviews
Negative programming prevents individuals from becoming and doing exactly what they want. Any amount of inspirational reading will only provide us with techniques that could work if put into practice. This book explains the principles of self-talk - a unique way of reversing negativity, optimizing outlook, focusing plans and achieving success. The key is in affirming, tell ...more
Published November 21st 1991 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about What to Say When You Talk to Yourself, please sign up.

Sriram Dr. Shad deals with more real life situations and provides effective solutions for the same. Also you while reading this book you will realise for…moreDr. Shad deals with more real life situations and provides effective solutions for the same. Also you while reading this book you will realise for more than a couple of times that the author has perfectly understood your mindset. (less)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane AustenI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
2,464 books — 2,409 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Secret by Rhonda ByrneHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon HillEvery Silver Lining Has a Cloud by Scott   Stevens
Best Self Help Books
907 books — 1,155 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott
Oct 10, 2010 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite 2 paragraphs so far. "After examining the philosophies, the theories, and the practiced methods of influencing human behavior, I was shocked to learn the simplicity of that one small fact: You will become what you think about most; your success or failure in anything, large or small, will depend on your programming - what you accept from others, and what you say when you talk to yourself.
It is no longer a success theory; it is a simple but powerful, fact. Neither luck nor desire has
Rgrega72
Completely changed the way I think. Keep positive affirmations with you at all times. The only way to change the way you think is to reprogram the way you think. Instead of feeding your mind with negative words and ideas feed your brain with positive affirmations and ideas. As stated in the book your brain is an apartment with old furniture. Take out the old furniture and throw it away, which is the negative thinking and replace it with new furniture, which is positive thinking. No matter what i ...more
Kathleen
Sep 17, 2008 Kathleen rated it really liked it
This was a really helpful book for me when I was going through a painful divorce. Most of us don't realize what the running commentary in our heads is saying. This book encourages you to pay attention, sort out the negatives, and modify the way you talk to yourself. We can be sabotaging ourselves without even knowing it. I highly recommend it for an eye-opening, potentially life-altering experience.
Peter Ritchie
Feb 08, 2013 Peter Ritchie rated it did not like it
He spends the first four chapters firstly illustrating his journey, and then explaining the purposes and methods of self help books. I can not believe how badly it is written. I may be wrong and will humbly accept if so. However, there is no continuity to the writing; some sentences are completely out of place. I skipped the next several chapters to reach chapter 14. Finally, I thought, the meat of the pie! But no. It is fair to say that the book was a rather insubstantial piece of work. A novel ...more
Daniel
Jun 01, 2011 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-classics
I love this book. It helped change my live for the better. It says, that the average 18 year old hears, "no," "you can't do it," "your not good enough," and the like 148,000 times. I was especially rotten as a youth, I must have heard it 300,000 time. I came to believe the negative talk. This book helped me break bad habits instilled by others.

I look forward to rereading it every year.
Eugene Kok
Jun 06, 2012 Eugene Kok rated it it was amazing
The human brain is incredibly powerful personal computer controller and that each word that you input into your mind would determine your attitude on how you decide to do in life. Whether it is mediocre or magnificence.
Kiki
Jun 18, 2010 Kiki is currently reading it
Negative self talk is something we all deal with. This is the first self help book that I've picked up. The book teaches common sense, but I've never given "You are what you say" much thought until this book was recommended to me. This book is already affecting the way I think, and I'm not even half way through. I watch out for negative self talk or thoughts and correct myself.
Geo MaHa
i read a brief of about 33 pages only but really i liked this book.
Some quotations that i loved in this book :))

• To manage you future you must manage yourself.
• Give you brain the right direction & it works well.
**Your success or failure in anything, large or small, will depend on your programming – what you accept from others, and what you say when you talk to yourself.
* The brain simply believes what you tell it the most – It does not care whether it is right or wrong.
* What you think, yo
♥ Ibrahim ♥
May 13, 2016 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
The books is both simple and simplistic. Its message is clear: my self-help book is better than yours! Take for instance chapter 3 "What Works And What Doesn't". He makes a big list on what these books are about, i.e. believe in yourself, etc. then later he provides the "better" solution: we need to re-programme our minds. Really? Yes, really. So, the book feels like a nice recipe for you, dear reader, if you are having difficulty falling asleep; you will fall asleep right quick!
Chris
Feb 27, 2008 Chris rated it it was ok
I read this book many moons ago and I must agree that negative self talk is an issue that we all must overcome. What I didn't like about the book was that at many points from chapter to chapter the book felt like a sales pitch to purchase the tape series. Then you can really overcome your negative self talk.... Good luck, but I'd rather keep my duckets in my pocket rather than forking them over to this clever promoter.
Ms. Reeves
Jun 14, 2012 Ms. Reeves rated it it was amazing
This is very powerful. Words come to life so choosing your words literally means choosing your world.
Maria
Oct 28, 2008 Maria rated it really liked it
This was required reading in a college class of mine and I loved it. It is not a big book and it can be hard to get through but I have learned a lot from this book.
James
Sep 01, 2011 James rated it liked it
Recommended to James by: Steve Thomas
The concepts promoted in this little work are somewhat basic to those who are familiar with the basics of modern psychology. I'm sure that when this book was published, it offered ground-breaking info to the populous, who had never encountered such ideas.

The most valuable element I found in this book was really not in the book at all, but was merely a part of a whole concept that has recently been standing out to me. The concept I'm speaking of is the power of words. God spoke the world into ex
J. Ewbank
May 08, 2013 J. Ewbank rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is the first book I read in this area and fortunately for me it was an excellent one. After reading the book I wrote out cards for me to read and to think about every day and I must say that they helped.

He combines humor with good, solid ideas on how you can improve your life just by thinking about it and keeping your mind focused on the ideas and concepts you want.

It is an interesting and good read for anybody interested in getting help for themselves for such things as weight loss, improv
Maureen Williams
We have so much more power than we have imagined!

Dr Shad is right on point with how incredibly important our self talk is. We become what we believe so it's critical for us to learn to monitor and teach ourselves, our families and friends positive self talk to change our lives from mundane to magical..
Heather
Sep 19, 2008 Heather rated it it was ok
If you've done any personal development workshops, read a self-help book, or been in therapy, you do not need this book. It might have been really groundbreaking when it was written, but I found it fairly mundane. To sum up: be nice to yourself. Talk to yourself in positive terms rather than negative terms. End of story.
Clare Darwish
Apr 16, 2011 Clare Darwish rated it it was amazing
A wonderful little book that helps shift some of the negative beliefs that we inherit from our doubtless well-meaning parents, teachers, peers et al.

This little gem is quick and easy to read and will resonate with every human being on the planet. If you want to change your mindset, then this is a great place to start!
Tony
May 06, 2009 Tony rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Amazingly true and very helpful in learning how to control your thoughts. I've read it before and I'm reading it again.
Frank
Dec 12, 2013 Frank added it
Shelves: nlp
Terrible! Most of this book, and I mean 99% of it, is filler. What a waste of time. I give it 0 stars.
Mark
I believe that everyone suffers with "brain chatter". this book shows how to control it and make it useful. This is a most worthwhile reading experience.
Lynda
Aug 01, 2009 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mainly lists of positive affirmations.
Nadia
Dec 28, 2011 Nadia added it
I never even heard of sucha book
Ravishing_rick
Mar 13, 2015 Ravishing_rick rated it it was amazing
well had to give it 5 because everything was true
StarMan
Is this book an advertisement for the author's paid course, other books, blog, etc.?
No. Nothing else to buy or peruse. Shad Helmstetter bucks the modern "up-sell" trend in this older book -- and that is a good thing.

Was it well-written? It rambles a bit up front, is occasionally a bit repetitive, and has a few too many exclamation points for my tastes, but when it gets to the main points it gets the job done. Overall, it was much less annoying than most self-help books I've read.

Did you get yo
Pratap
The concept of Self-Talk is a must for everyone to know and observe. We need to practice new self-talk based on what we want in our life.

Read this book! Only thing I don't like is - lot of text with very little knowledge. So speed read it, identify the concepts you connect and read them fully.

Self-talk is something similar to affirmations. Both consciously and unconsciously we affirm a lot of things about ourselves which form as beliefs, attitudes and dominate our thinking which intern dictate
Erica
Dec 19, 2016 Erica rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This book makes some very good points about how our internal thoughts affect our lives and actions.

Case in point: I have a reputation for getting lost even on a simple drive. The other day, I had to drive to a place I hadn't been before, but in an area I was familiar with. I fretted over getting lost and, despite having gone that exact way multiple times, took a wrong turn.

That's a more blatant example, but I've started being more aware of how I think and how others think and speak. At the very
menna manona
Dec 16, 2016 menna manona rated it it was amazing
Thuan Le
Dec 08, 2016 Thuan Le rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was referenced to this book by authors of "Nonrunner's marathon trainer" book. The book focuses on how to program your self-talk and your mindset or be your internal motivator. You should write it down and practice whenever you can to form the habit, and make change in the mindset. In my case, I find it helpful for the first marathon. And that might be the only thing the book could give.
Mike
Jan 14, 2017 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was by far one of my top 5 books. If you're not familiar with affirmations and declarations then this book is for you. I've used his method of recording myself speak my affirmations and it's been working wonders. He talks about covering every aspect and coming up with 12 positive statements and that's cover your one negative self talk.

Definitely worth picking up!
Dennis
Feb 02, 2014 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
The author makes a very strong case for his argument. I believe he is right - the chatter in our heads is responsible - perhaps almost entirely - for the emotions we deal with on a daily basis.

Thanks to reading the book, I am more aware of what I am saying to myself. As a sidenote, I am doing some mindfulness sessions and these have helped me become more aware of myself. I catch myself at random moments in a downward spiral of self talk or right at the beginning of one.

However, there are times
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • The Choice
  • The Magic of Believing
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Master-Key to Riches
  • How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • See You at the Top
  • The Psychology of Winning
  • The Dream Giver
  • Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience
  • Goals!: How to Get Everything You Want Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Failing Forward: Turning Mistakes Into Stepping Stones for Success

“We control with our own minds most everything in our lives, including our health, our careers, our relationships, and our futures” 12 likes
“After examining the philosophies, the theories, and the practiced methods of influencing human behavior, I was shocked to learn the simplicity of that one small fact: You will become what you think about most; your success or failure in anything, large or small, will depend on your programming - what you accept from others, and what you say when you talk to yourself.
It is no longer a success theory; it is a simple but powerful fact. Neither luck nor desire has the slightest thing to do with it. It makes no difference whether we believe it or not. The brain simply believes what you tell it most. And what you tell it about you, it will create. It has no choice.”
5 likes