Start by marking “Wilder Winter” as Want to Read:
Wilder Winter

Wilder Winter (Hap and Leonard #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,433 Ratings  ·  336 Reviews
Start with two best friends who practice martial arts in their free time: one a straight white guy, the other a black gay guy. Add a conniving ex-wife in a blue-jean miniskirt. Throw in half a million in a muddy creekbed somewhere near the Sabine River in East Texas. Add an ex-radical from the '60s and two naive idealists who want to save the world. Mix them all together i ...more
Published 2006 by Golkonda Verlag (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Wilder Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilder Winter

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I finally got to meet the famous Hap and Leonard that I've heard so much about here on Goodreads.

Sorry, Terry Crews is in my head as Leonard Pike. Leonard and Hap are best buddies. Why? I have no clue. They really are not much alike.
Leonard is a gay, Vietnam vet who seems pretty mellow at first. Just don't mess with his vanilla cookies.
Hap is a guy with a prison record because he wanted to make a statement during the sixties about the war. Hap was kind of stupid then.

Now Hap's ex-wife has ret
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Mar 09, 2016 Kelly (and the Book Boar) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kelly (and the Book Boar) by: Everyone and their dog
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Palm Springs commercial photography

Joe Lansdale was barely a blip on my radar until a few months ago when it seemed errrrryone started reading his stuff. Since I am an idiot, I had no idea WTF Hap and Leonard even was or that it was a soon-to-be television program. I just knew that Real Dan and Kemper were reading the crap out of these stories and everybody else seemed to be reading Lansdale too. Then during one of our bitch sessions highly intellectual conversations,
Dan Schwent
Aug 26, 2014 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lansdale, hick-lit, 2014
When laborer Hap Collins' ex-wife Trudy pops back into his life with a story about retrieving unrecovered money from a bank robbery, Hap's up for it. In tow is Hap's best friend, Leonard, a gay black man who happens to be the toughest son of a bitch on the planet. Will Hap and Leonard finally make the big score that saves them from a life of backbreaking labor or is Trudy leading them to their deaths?

2014 reread: Since nothing on my unread pile looks appealing at the moment and a Hap and Leonard
Kemper
Hap Collins and his friend Leonard Pine seem like pure east Texas rednecks in a lot of ways. They have crappy jobs working in rose fields, shoot clay pigeons with their shotguns, drive worn out piece-of-shit vehicles, raise hunting dogs and listen to country music. But Leonard is black and gay, and Hap is a former damn dirty hippie who got sent to prison for refusing his induction notice during Vietnam as a protest against the war. So they aren’t exactly the Dukes of Hazard.

Years after his priso
Stephen
A recipe for Delicious Fiction:

Take a pair of VERY UNCONVENTIONAL good old buddies + one BITCHOSAURUS of an ex-wife.

Add in half a million in lost, stolen money, a group of wannabe radicals and an awesomely PSYCHOlarious duo of drug dealers.

Spice all the above with sharp writng, brilliantly witty dialogue, heaping helpings of southern humor and stir in several pounds of violence, bloodshed and betrayals..... and VOILA....

Criminally YUMMY Buddy NOIR Cake.

Definitely one I am going to recommend as
James Thane
First appearing in 1990, this is the book that introduced Joe R. Lansdale's most popular characters, Hap Collins and Leonard Pine. Brothers under the skin, Hap is a good-old-boy white guy from East Texas while Leonard is a black, gay Vietnam War vet. The two practice martial arts together and when we first meet them, they're living close to poverty and eking out a living working in a rose field.

Still, life is fairly copacetic until, out of nowhere, Hap's very sexy ex-wife, Trudy, suddenly shows
Charlene
3.5 stars!

For my Year of Lansdale project I had this audio book all lined up and then the TV show came out. I have to say that the show spoiled me as far as the voices go. The actors will forever be the voices of Hap and Leonard in my head. (If you haven't seen the show, I highly recommend it!)

The drama mirrored this book pretty closely except for a few changes near to the end. The humor that I found so appealing in the other two Hap and Leonard's that I've read was here, but not as much, and I
⊱ Irena ⊰
Jan 11, 2016 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, humour
3.5

I've heard so much about this duo and finally started this series. Unlike so many other books, Savage Season has a perfect summary.
The two main protagonists can't be any different even if they tried, but they work well together.

Hap's ex-wife Trudy asks him for help to find some money that's been hidden for the last twenty years, he lets his best friend in on the scheme and that's the basic plot. The thing that makes Savage Season different and more interesting than other maybe similar books
Richard Vialet
I really loved The Thicket last year when I chose it to quench my thirst for a good Western read. I was impressed by how engaging the writing was. I decided this year to jump into more books by author Joe Lansdale, and I thought a good start would be his popular Texas crime series featuring his characters Hap Collins and Leonard Pine. This first novel in the series lived up to my lofty expectations!

Hap & Leonard are best buddies, are minding their own business and shooting some skeet in Hap'
Lou
Hap a tough country boy with iron foundry muscles just spent eighteen months in prison, during this time his wife Trudi was filing for divorce.
Leonard a Vietnam vet and a certified hardhead. His expertise is Martial arts, boxing, kenpo and hapkido.
Trudi ruled men with brains, passion and her downy triangle.
Hap a bird lover.
Leonard a dog lover.
An inseparable duo of characters.
On his release from prison Trudi temps Hap into a money making deal or shall we say money finding.
A bank job money stash
Melki
Aug 21, 2011 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read five previous Hap and Leonard adventures, but somehow managed to miss this first outing. Once again, Hap lets "lil' Hap" get him into trouble, and drags mouthy Leonard into the fray. Count on everything to go wrong. And if you have a lick o' sense, better stay far away from Leonard's vanilla cookies.
Diane Barnes
Mar 13, 2016 Diane Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun with a capital F, now I'm a Fan with a capital F, both of Joe Lansdale, and the Hap and Leonard series, of which this is the first. I read "The Bottoms" last month, thought it was a well-written coming of age/mystery novel, so decided to give this one a quick read before watching the series just starting on the Sundance Channel.
I'm giving it 5 stars for the pure enjoyment factor, and for not disappointing. Great characters, snappy dialogue, fast-paced action, and a great ending.
Marvin
Jun 23, 2009 Marvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe R. Lansdale's novels and short stories are very visceral reads. When Lansdale writes action, you can smell the sweat and taste the dirt. He knows how to keep the reader on the edge of their seats. Add onto that, a very sharp wit and you rarely come away from one of the author's stales disappointed.

Savage Season is the first of a series of suspense novels featuring Happ Collins and Leonard Pine; the first one I have read, but I am eager to devour the rest of the series. Happ and Leonard seems
Tfitoby
Jun 10, 2012 Tfitoby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-as-night
A pretty decent crime caper noir, my first Lansdale, feeling like a cross between the wise cracking Elmore Leonard and the more brutal Don Winslow with a pair of "heroes" in Hap and Leonard that are a joy to read.

It was Hap and Leonard that saved this one for me, the two of them together are funny, conflicted and real, a great channel for Lansdale's obvious talent with dialogue; providing the kind of banter and realism that Leonard would be proud of.

That aside, for a slim novel it felt like it w
Bark's Book Nonsense
SAVAGE SEASON is a fast-paced, hard-boiled suspense novel about two hardworking friends, Hap and Leonard, who can't resist the opportunity to make a quick $200,000 a piece. All they have to do is find the money that is supposedly buried somewhere in an icy river where Hap grew up. But nothing comes easy for these two and it isn't long before they're not only dealing with vicious weather but also greedy and psychotic humans.

This is a short little book that packs a punch. It is unflinchingly and s
Aaron
Jun 01, 2016 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aaron by: Kemper
Hap Collins and Leonard Pine are two rural guys just scraping by, best friends who together make up a badass and hilarious odd couple. Hap is a white heterosexual former idealist who went to prison for making a point out of dodging the draft, and Leonard is a black gay Vietnam veteran. When Hap's ex-wife, Trudy, comes to them with a sketchy proposition for making a lot of money fast, Hap's desire for Trudy combines with his and Leonard's need for living expenses, making the opportunity too good ...more
Jan 19, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
OK, this was just plum fun. I'm not up to speed on my Lansdale so I'm just now venturing into Hap and Leonard. I, of course, have heard plenty about them and with the TV show coming up, I decided this might be a great diversion from the horrible reading slump I've been in.

Sometimes I make excellent choices.
Ctgt
Mar 06, 2016 Ctgt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent start for the series but suffers from the "first book" syndrome. The author tries to balance the introduction of the characters with the actual plot of the story and one or the other is compromised. In this case it's the plot of the story that is a familiar trope of crime fiction, let's go find the money that was hidden after a heist. Nothing new here. I do like the characters of Hap and Leonard. Their relationship seems deep and we have only scratched the surface so they will carry me on ...more
Scott Sigler
May 13, 2014 Scott Sigler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Joe Landsdale's work. I haven't read him extensively, but every time I do I'm taken away by the story, swirled around in it, dumped out at the end like I've been rode hard and put away wet. Hap and Leonard are my favorite Landsdale characters yet.
Gef
Apr 13, 2011 Gef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've had Joe Lansdale's novel, Bad Chili, sitting on my bookshelf for a little over a year. It's the only Lansdale novel I've seen in my neck of the woods--one of many authors who just don't show up on shelves around here. But I wanted to read Savage Season first, because it's the first "Hap & Leonard" novel, and I didn't want to read Bad Chili without having some clue of who Hap and Leonard were. As it stands, now that I've read Savage Season I can't wait to read the rest of the books.

Their
Mohammed
Apr 15, 2010 Mohammed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noir
This book i would not rate 4 stars for the actual story,plot.

I rate it 4 stars because the characters was the rare kind of that take hold of you from page one. The back and forth quips between Hap and Leonard were great. Two guys i felt for from the first scene. Didn't have to imagine them at all. They feel so real.

It doesnt hurt either that Lansdale is talented writer prose wise,language of the book,his country wit as the blurb say was great read. I chuckled many times reading some of the lines
Ivonne Rovira
Let me begin by saying this book was not for me. I got only halfway through this slim novel, and I was done.

Author Joe R. Lansdale introduces two Texans, one a white straight conscientious objector and his gay black Vietnam vet pal. Sounds interesting, right? But halfway through the book, as the twosome have joined a band of incompetent treasure hunters, I just got tired of the one-liner insults and the macho bravado, particularly from the surly Vietnam vet, Leonard Pine. Bravado like that sound
Kibisis
Mar 06, 2012 Kibisis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il primo capitolo della saga Hap & Leonard, strana coppia di detective sognatori disincantati, narra di rapine e paludi, sparatorie e badilate, occultamenti di malloppi e chiacchierate alcoliche quasi sempre al limite tra l'ironico e il demenziale. Lansdale strizza un'occhiata nostalgica alla politica americana rivoluzionaria degli anni '60: "...l'idealismo è un pò come Venere nel cielo del giorno. Una volta ero in grado di vederla. Ma con il passare del tempo mi serviva meno e volevo scroll ...more
Emma Sea
I really enjoyed Hap and Leonard, but the plot didn't do it for me. The second the ex-wife talked to Hap I picked the entire plot. 100% perfect. Now, sometimes this doesn't matter. You're not reading for plot, you're reading for the way the words are put together e.g. Nana. Here the writing and sense of place wasn't evocative enough to hold my attention. I needed a plot I was interested in.

However, Hap and Leonard together do have me interested enough that I shall push on to book 2.

This one? Jus
Chris
Jul 28, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the debut novel featuring Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, both men are pulled into a simple big money score, but soon find themselves way over their heads. An ex of Hap's approaches him about helping her and a few friends recover lost money from a long-ago bank robbery, and Hap convinces his good buddy, and Vietnam vet, Leonard, to come on board, albeit, begrudgingly. And of course, things go south.

Full of wry humor, sharp dialogue (with a dash or three of social commentary) and taut, gut-wrenc
Mindy
I have been excited to read this author for a while now and he did not let me down. Really enjoyed this one and can't wait to continue this series. I have to thank Shelby for introducing me to this author. I recommend checking out her reviews of this and many other Lansdale books.

2016 MacHalo Challenge: Book turned into a movie or T.V. show
Gregor Xane
Sep 02, 2012 Gregor Xane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Hap and Leonard are such well-drawn, and likable, characters, and the dialogue always makes me laugh out loud (which is saying something) that I can't help but to enjoy these books. I prefer Lansdale's crazier stuff (The Adventures of Ned the Seal), but these will do just fine.
Ed
Jun 21, 2010 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the First Vintage Crime/Black Lizard re-issue of Hap and Leonard's first high-octane outing. The later ones are funnier
and longer, IIRC, but this one is the real gem.
Rebecca McNutt
Savage Season was a very different and exciting book, and each of the characters has their own personality so it's easy to relate to at least one of them.
Andrew Vachss
Nov 15, 2009 Andrew Vachss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Master of an absolutely unique combo-genre. Impossible to describe and harder to imitate.
  • Gun Monkeys
  • Bust (Max & Angela, #1)
  • Shella
  • Fun & Games (Charlie Hardie, #1)
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • Cold Shot to the Heart (Crissa Stone, #1)
  • The Man With The Getaway Face (Parker, #2)
  • I Was Dora Suarez
  • Gli Uccelli Di Bangkok
  • Every Shallow Cut
  • Beautiful, Naked & Dead
  • The Wounded and the Slain
  • Hardcase (Joe Kurtz, #1)
  • Miami Blues
  • The Gutter and the Grave (Hard Case Crime #15)
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...

Hap and Leonard (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2)
  • The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3)
  • Bad Chili (Hap and Leonard, #4)
  • Rumble Tumble (Hap and Leonard, #5)
  • Captains Outrageous (Hap and Leonard, #6)
  • Vanilla Ride (Hap and Leonard, #7)
  • Devil Red (Hap and Leonard, #8)
  • Hyenas (Hap and Leonard, #9)
  • Dead Aim (Hap and Leonard, #10)
  • Honky Tonk Samurai (Hap and Leonard, #11)

“I got something to say to you, big shot."

"Say it, then," I said, "while I'm used to the drone of your voice. I'd rather not get acclimated again.”
6 likes
“E non mi venne in mente che anche il più rapace degli uccelli, il laniere, è capace di cantare.” 5 likes