Start by marking “George Bush, Dark Prince of Love” as Want to Read:
George Bush, Dark Prince of Love

George Bush, Dark Prince of Love

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"Some women like muscle. Brute strength, or the illusion of it. Their idea of an attractive man is a craggy meatpacker with a squirrel brain, who likes to crush vermin with his bare fist. I call these women Reaganites....Personally, I've always preferred the underdog."
Rosemary is an ex-con with no viable career prospects, a boyfriend old enough to be her grandfather, and
Published January 25th 2000 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about George Bush, Dark Prince of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Bush, Dark Prince of Love

Truth, Dare, or Handcuffs or Threeway by Jade JamesTwilight by Stephenie MeyerSuch a Pretty Fat by Jen LancasterMacho Sluts by Pat CalifiaPregnesia by Carla Cassidy
Worst Book Titles
9th out of 174 books — 132 voters
The Haunted Vagina by Carlton Mellick IIIBeautiful Cocksucker by Barbara SheridanThe Baby Jesus Butt Plug by Carlton Mellick IIITickle His Pickle! by Sadie AllisonHow to Live with a Huge Penis by Owen_Thomas
Humorous, Strange, or Downright Shocking Titles
35th out of 189 books — 244 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert Beveridge
Lydia Millet, George Bush- Dark Prince of Love (Scribner's, 2000)

The idea of anyone finding a president sexy-- at least, any president we've had since, oh, Teddy Roosevelt or so-- strikes the same kind of nerve with me as does the idea of having weird leechlike creatures infest peoples' bodies and turn them into mutant zombies (see? there's Night of the Creeps again!). The idea that someone could take such a feeling to the obsessive heights of the stalker is right up there with having dinner at
Carrie
A quick little novel with a funny, insane protagonist of the sort I am only too familiar with as a member of the Eastern Media Elite! The main character is obsessed with George senior... the kind of person my days in the mailroom have sorted into a lump category involving suggestions on policy written in all caps with emphasis delivered via extra punctuation and highlighter pens. It's been a few years since I read the book, so have forgotten most of the plot, but I do remember laughing out loud ...more
Blair
Could be the best reference tool/scathing editorial ever devised against the eldest Bush's administration. The sheer genius of glimpsing that turbulent era through a female ex-con suffering an acute infatuation with the 41st leader of the free world. My only qualm with this book was that for a white-trashy, drug-addled, probably-spent-more-time-getting-drunk-than-studying person...our narrator and main character was suprisingly verbose.
Nathanial
Millet goes for satire and misses, which is like the worst thing in the world but less funny. She lands on ridicule. oof.

maybe it would be different if her protagonist was firmly entrenched in the bush family and/or support structure (lackeys, talking heads, etc.) but instead she chooses to spoof a scrap of trailer trash, which got old like the second people started doing it.
Anne
an absolutely hysterical take of the senior Bush presidency, from the point of view of his stalker, a stereotypical trailer-park trash overweight woman who is an ex-con. Dark and cynical, I laughed myself silly reading this, and often had to read excepts to random people because I found them so hilarious.
Erin
I will never look at "G.B" the same.

Lydia Millet has put together a highly amusing story with an entertaining (though scary) cast. Rosemary is an ex-con with no luck, a heavy drinking habit, and an obsession with geriatric men. Her boyfriend is a crotchety veteran with a big house and a cocaine habit to match, and though this is the part where I normally would make an Anna Nicole Smith reference, our Rosemary deserves better. I don't think she got with Russell because of his money and obvious pr
Morgan Salvador
Sep 10, 2008 Morgan Salvador rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like political silliness
This is an absolutely ridiculous tale of an obese woman recently released from prison who becomes obsessed with "G.B." She creates a shrine to G.B. in her elderly boyfriend’s basement, talks to him through the television, and eventually moves to DC, so that they can finally be together. If this storyline sounds a little off the wall, it definitely is, but it’s good fun too. Just don’t expect it to be any great political satire. It’s just a quick read that’ll definitely make you laugh.
Melanie Page
The character descriptions were fantastic, their interactions realistic, hilarious, depressing. The more I read about George Bush, though, the less I liked the book. I feel like the author might have used any president Americans frequently mock. Rosemary could have been obsessed with anyone, anything, and I would have still like her and her relationships with Russki, Apache, and the ex-cons the best.
Sherry
This was an odd book for me. As much as I love satire, the very promising and hilarious book title didn't quite deliver mostly because the protagonist irked me--a sociopath with mommy and daddy issuse. That said, there were some funny moments and somehow the last several chapters made up for the okay, but not great, chapters that preceded them.
Danya
Nov 19, 2009 Danya added it
Super dark and hella funny satire of sex, politics, and the cultural oddities that permeated the early-nineties landscape during the reign of Bush, the first and elder. Protagonist is out-of-her-mind and, yet, tends to make a whole lot of sense against the chaotic backdrop of her lfie.
Madbutmagic
Jul 23, 2013 Madbutmagic marked it as have-not-read
Mad But Magic YA Blog

The Goodreads summary tells me this book is “Written with razor-sharp satiric wit and packed with wry observations of our times.” I find that hard to believe.
Gabe Durham
This book is so funny: high schtick, much unlike the others.

The sly point this book seems to make is that a citizen who models her own actions on the actions of a world leader would be a cunning, erratic sociopath. It’s as entertaining as it sounds.
Louvaine
Hilarious, sarcastic tale of a disturbed woman with nothing going for her, who becomes fixated on the 41st President. A VERY funny way of disagreeing with George Bush's policies. Ha-Ha!
Beata Bowen
I liked a lot about this book. It was a funny, quick read, full of quirky characters. It was also over the top satirical, and with all subtlety lost, I didn't get to love it.
Anna N.
This may be one of the best books I have ever read. Seriously. I loved it. Favorite quote, "It's difficult to be right when many others are wrong."
Amanda
Was hoping for a decent satire with insightful commentary, but it was very boring, didn't really get to the depth of anything and wasn't that funny.
Diane C.

Tragic, funny, outrageous and more the American story than most of the other ones i've read. You have to read it to believe it.
Roxanne
Hilarious! I have never read anything like this--and am now on a quest for the next Lydia Millet to add to my stack!
Josie
Hilarious! Woman imagines that President George H.W. Bush communicates with her via secretly encoded messages on TV.
Naiarose
This really made me laugh. Twisted to be sure, but humorous.
J.l.
Jan 07, 2009 J.l. added it
great cover/title, horrible book...
Steph O'Groove
This book is amazing.
Marybeth
Hilarious!!!!!!!!
Katrina Grella
Katrina Grella marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Sophia
Sophia added it
Dec 07, 2014
Beth Holmes
Beth Holmes marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
David Gobbitt
David Gobbitt marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Evan
Evan added it
Nov 14, 2014
Jamison
Jamison marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Cotton Comes to Harlem (Harlem Cycle, #7)
  • The Deadly Percheron
  • Unknown Man #89 (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • Missing Susan (Elizabeth MacPherson, #6)
  • State of War
  • Turtle Diary
  • Tom Dick And Debbie Harry
  • The Misanthrope and Other Plays
  • Loon Lake
Lydia Millet is the author of twelve previous books of fiction. Her novel Ghost Lights was a New York Times Notable Book; its sequel Magnificence was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle and Los Angeles Times Awards in fiction; and her story collectionLove in Infant Monkeys was a Pulitzer Prize finalist. She lives outside Tucson, Arizona. ...more
More about Lydia Millet...
How the Dead Dream Love in Infant Monkeys Magnificence: A Novel Ghost Lights: A Novel Oh Pure and Radiant Heart

“Although she didn't have the plumbing, she deluded herself that she was the modern W.C. (about Margaret Thatcher, M.T.)” 2 likes