Start by marking “Settling the Score” as Want to Read:
Settling the Score

Settling the Score

Outed and dumped on national television by his rising star boyfriend, Joey Nichols must face the bigotry of the locals in his small Southern town alone. His dreams of a happy ever after lie crushed at his feet.

Novelist Troy Steele has an axe to grind against Hollywood heartbreaker types. Transforming Joey into a gorgeous, unobtainable hunk would be payback worthy of Troy’
ebook, Second, 212 pages
Published October 6th 2016 by Rocky Ridge Books (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Settling the Score, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Settling the Score

Line
This was a nice cozy read, told in dual-POV, it didn't grip me, but I didn't feel like throwing it anywhere either.

So Joey is outed on TV, by his DOUCHE of an ex, Riker. The outing is not all though, Riker is a real piece of work, and I had a hard time accepting that somebody could be SO douchey, and that NOTHING was done for the theft for example.
Joey is a mechanic for his dad's garage in rural-town-america. To say that his gay-nees is not well received, would be an understatement. But Joey ha
Buda
Mar 18, 2011 Buda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kept me up until 3am two nights in a row. It's been almost 20 hours since I finished it and I still can't stop thinking about Joey and Troy. I've been really lucky in my reading lately, because each of the last three books I've read have been amazing, with totally human, totally 3-dimensional characters that have all left me with something to think about. Suffice it to say I loved the book and look forward to reading it again soon.
Valentina Heart
Apr 11, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt
I loved this story! Joey was just perfect and the dialect really made it work for me. I kinda wish there was more of it;) Too tired to write a review now, maybe tomorrow. Anyway, I do recommend this one, just like I do other Winters' books.

Okay, today's another day. When you read the blurb you'll probably be intrigued, but it might not pull you to read the story. Honestly, I get bored after first two sentences, but that's just me. What I'm trying to say is, read the book;) Joey can't be describe
Deeze
This is one of my all time favorites. It has everything I could wish for in a story. The sleazy ex, the hurt of betrayal, the wonderful fullfillment of revenge plus the emotional romance.

I laughed, I cried, I ranted at the sleaze bag, I cheered and most of all I fell in love with Joey and Troy.

Eden winters knows just how to spin a story with all the right touches.
A must read for all who love a happy ending.

This story loses nothing in the second time reading.
Lena♥Ribka

DNF at 67%

This book just proves that I shouldn't pick up contemporary romance any longer.

Generally, I try to avoid them, but Settling the Score WAS a finalist of the 24th Annual Lambda Literary Awards in the category Gay Romance and the majority of readers seemed to enjoy it. I decided to give it a try.

The blurb was very promising, the beginning very nice, and I was delighted to read a new version of Pygmalion. Well, my excitement has perceptibly decreased shortly. I was bored to death.

Let me
Yvonne
May 31, 2011 Yvonne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
When I saw what this story was about, I was immediately drawn to the idea of a good lover scorned & revenge story. This one starts off really well with insecure, closeted auto mechanic Joey planning to leave his small town & move to California to be with boyfriend Riker, an emerging star in Hollywood. His plan is after settling in, they would both come out as gay to his family & friends. He's afraid of acceptance in the town he currently lives in. But while watching a TV program with ...more
Alicia J
This was ok. The story was pretty predictable, what with the poor country boy getting screwed over by the ambitious and fame-hungry cad of a boyfriend. Then throw in the revenge plot, and it just got to be over the top. But I do have to say that Joey, our poor country boy who cleaned up and got his act together, was charming and sweet. And I do enjoy a sweet country boy every now and then.
L-D
Ahhhh - there's something about a book where the slutty, despicable ex gets his comeuppance at the end. I just can never get enough of that theme and I don't even have any exes that I personally feel that way about.

Joey Nichols is thrilled to be starting his life. His boyfriend is making a movie in Hollywood and Joey is all set to fly out to be with him and live their lives as an out and happy couple. When he sees a televised interview days before his flight (that he used his savings for), his
Chris
Mar 11, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2011, ebook
Very good m/m romance about a small-town mechanic whose formerly small-town, now Hollywood actor boyfriend dumps and outs him on national television. A Pygmalionesque story unfolds after that, as the mechanic goes to work for a bestselling author with his own axe to grind.

My only real problem with the book was a personal one - I always get frustrated by books that use dialect; instead of immersing me, the dialect kept jolting me out of the book.
Feliz
Mar 27, 2011 Feliz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joey Nichols is hoping for a new life, away from his small Georgia town at the side of his love, former smalltown boy and now up-and-coming Hollywood star Riker. How bitterly disillusioned is he when his boyfriend casually annonces the end of their relationship over prime time TV. What's worse, Joey has to learn about Riker's two-timing from the tabloid press; Riker's snide remarks about Joey are all over the internet for everyone to see. In the middle of being shunned by half his hometown and ...more
Trisha Harrington
I was not sure about this book at first. It was kind of I'll read it and see what I think, to be honest I was not expecting much at all. But this book really did impress me. I loved it. From the beginning of the book which had me wanting to punch Ryker in the face, to the ending where I was happily cheering.

I loved Joey. I just had to say that. He was such a sweet loving and somewhat foolish character. His naivety was endearing to me and I just wanted to give him a big hug through about 70% of
Candice
Jul 10, 2013 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Candice by: Deeze
I do love a story where the characters are not perfect, but in the end come out on top and this story delivered that. I felt so bad for Joey in the beginning, but even though he was insecure in the beginning he was such a strong person and he just needed to find that within himself. Troy was perfect for him because he understood him since he had gone through the same thing, but had let his experience effect him so much more. These two belonged together. This story is makes you laugh in parts and ...more
Kade Boehme
Feb 24, 2014 Kade Boehme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is why I dig through my favorite authors' backlists from time to time. So happy I found this one. Eden is such a force. I just love everything she does and how subtle some of her characters are. Great read. Recommended, especially if you like a slow burner.
Fabi
Oct 22, 2016 Fabi rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, arc
This is a story reminiscent of Pygmalion, an all time favorite of mine.

Joey is a young gay man living in a tiny town. It's no big surprise that he is targeted by a smooth and slick user the first time he ventures into a gay bar in a nearby city. It is, however, surprising that after his life is destroyed by that user, he is also targeted by a rich and famous author to use as fodder for his current book and a bit of revenge on an arch nemesis.

While Joey is an upfront character with all of his tru
Otterpuss
Oct 18, 2016 Otterpuss rated it did not like it
I never got into this book.
I found the writing dull and the plot boringly predictable.

The characters, Joey and Troy, had no chemistry at all and the secondary characters were monochrome and boring.

I'm not sure how it can be called a romance novel, there isn't any romance at all in the first 65% and what little there is is uninteresting with absolutely no heat at all.

Not one for me I'm afraid.

I received an ARC of this book from the author via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an
Alicia
Oct 10, 2016 Alicia rated it really liked it
-4 stars-

*Arc provided via IndiGo Publishing and Design*

This was a surprise, one that I rather enjoyed.
As the blurb suggests, joey, a mechanic from a small southern town, gets outed and then dumped by his actor boyfriend on national TV. As expected, this doesn't go to well in his small town, and he gets a horrible time, thank god for his extremely supportive family. Enter Troy, a famous writer and his assistant Erica. Troy recognises his own story, especially considering Joeys now ex is dating
Jenre
Mar 30, 2011 Jenre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, contemporary, romance
Settling the Score is the third novel I've read by Eden Winters. I like her books and find her writing smooth and easy to read. This book was no exception.

The story follows Joey who's a small town mechanic and blissfully in love with his boyfriend who's just hit the Hollywood big time. However, all his dreams come crashing down when his boyfriend publicly breaks up with Joey on a TV interview, outing Joey to his family, friends and the members of his small town at the same time. The ensuing fall
Bookwatcher
My thoughts about this book?
I like it... a lot!!!!! ... but can't give more than 3 stars.

The plot attract me right away when I read the blurb. And it didn't disappointed me. Joey is a mechanic in a very "old fashion" city... that means, a city where no one can come out of the closet thinking nothing will happen. His love for his family and his fear for the consequences of his sexual orientation made me love him right away I love tormented heroes, so of course Joey didn't disappointed me.
Yeah, as
SueM
This a tale of revenge, yet it also shows that sometimes, the price of revenge may be more than you're willing to pay.

Joey, a small-town mechanic, is in love with Riker, a young actor just breaking into Hollywood. For 2 years, they had lived together in Joey's apartment (under the guise of roommates for Joey's family and town), with Joey staying behind to work in his family's business while Riker was in Hollywood shooting a movie. About a week before he's due to re-join with Riker in Ho
Lasha
Apr 07, 2011 Lasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: darkdivasreviews
After reading the blurb for Settling the Score, it seemed like it would be the ultimate revenge story crossed with an Ugly Duckling tale. You had the perfect set-up for an intense plot as Joey emerges from his shell all the while seeking retribution on his vain ex-boyfriend, Riker. And while I enjoyed Joey’s transformation into a beautiful swan, the payback portion of the book did not reach its full potential as promised by the blurb and the plot.

The main issue with the book was that the two mai
Julesmarie
Jul 31, 2012 Julesmarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This book actually made me feel like I was reading a movie--which was a unique and delightful experience. The characters and the settings were beautifully vivid and the things that happened to the various characters were totally believable... in movieland.

Joey and Troy were both great characters and I was totally rooting for them both. It was interesting that the story of what happened between Riker and Joe was basically all covered in the blurb, and yet I found myself totally interested in read
Librarian Kate
Nov 06, 2011 Librarian Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! I'm usually of the opinion that more is better when it comes to smexy love scenes (hey, what can I say? M/M has brought out my inner perv) but this was so full of story that I didn't even miss it...I just got pulled in to watching Joey work through his infatuation and insecurities, but keep the essential sweetness - and strength - that I finally realized he had had all along. I agree with other reviewers that both Troy and Joey are engaging and intriguing - you just want to know ...more
Mantastic
Apr 10, 2011 Mantastic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: highly-recommend
This is a nice story with all the cards on the table. Except the breakup in the beginning, that is. How his character was developed through those scenes made me really care about the rest of the story.

I like that Joey knew right from the beginning what the payback plan was. There were several scenes that seemed to have a stereotypical set-up but would end up going against the obvious into something much more clever. There was a very small aspect of the plot that Troy kept to himself, but it wasn
Melanie
Sep 11, 2011 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I read from this author and it was a gem. The excerpt hooked me in and the story kept me there right to the satisfying end. I was intrigued by the characters because they were so different from the "gorgeous with a ripped six pack" that can be found in other books (and pleaseI don't think I have a problem with those either, nosiree love them in fact). Still it was nice to see somewhat unconventionally attractive main characters. From Joey's ( pudgy and country) and ...more
Frances McNeal
Sep 20, 2011 Frances McNeal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Sweet story about two guys who have been publically humiliated by the ones they thought who really loved them. My heart broke for Joey when he was outed on national TV, but what a family he has. I truly loved his sisters and parents and that they were there for him. Then there is Troy Steele the reclusive author who was jilted years ago and has found that hiding and writing his way of coping with his hurt. The two come together with the help of a fiesty Erica to find love in the end. I loved the ...more
Mara Ismine
Another winner!

The main characters are loveable and easy to identify with. Joey and Troy have their own issues, but fit together so well. On the surface they are not a good match - Troy is a sucessful author in his late thirties and Joey, in his early twenties, is a high school dropout mechanic who loves to restore cars. But those are only surface differences.

There is a strong supporting cast and a great plot. Eden Winters has the enviable knack of painting family, friends and neighbours who ar
Lady*M
Mar 27, 2011 Lady*M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Winters still has to disappoint me (and I'm saying this without reading her most popular novel) and she didn't - with Settling the Score. The writing was great, Joey and Troy are adorable if flawed men. I was furiously turning the pages, while my revenge-against-baddies-prone heart quivered with glee expecting the score to be settled. And... Well done!

Why four stars then, you ask? Well, it's a personal dislike - rich guy taking his magic one-million-or-so-worth wand and making things better.
Wren
Mar 15, 2011 Wren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
Eden Winters is just a dang good writer. I was skeptical of the premise - getting revenge after being betrayed by a lover - but there was enough meat to the story and the process that my skepticism was overcome by being sucked into the story of two men who learn to let go of the things keeping them down and open themselves to new possibilities. And, I admit, it was damn satisfying to see the score settled.
Tami (synchro from BL)
Another great one. It was more a light read with a lot of very funny dialogues which I enjoyed a lot. Both MCs were very likable and the whole story (although probably not the most original plot out there) was told in very entertaining and flowing style - I will definitely read more books by Eden Winters.
Lauren
I've just finished this book and I absolutely loved it! I managed to read it in two days - once I had started I hardly wanted to put it down but begrudgingly had to in order to eat/sleep/go to work. I was hooked! The characters were wonderful, and I found the whole story to be well paced with an excellent ending. I can't wait to read more from this author :)
  • At Piper's Point
  • All's Fair in Love and Advertising
  • Written in the Stars
  • Sonoran Heat
  • precious_boy
  • Reverb
  • Nothing Ever Happens
  • Gambling On Maybe (GlitterBomb! #1)
  • I Just Play One on TV
  • Rhapsody for Piano and Ghost
  • Making Promises (Promises, #2)
  • Lost Treasure
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • Take My Picture
  • A Place To Run (The Making of a Man, #2)
  • Hard Tail
  • Blind Items
  • The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks
You will know Eden Winters by her distinctive white plumage and exuberant cry of “Hey, y’all!” in a Southern US drawl so thick it renders even the simplest of words unrecognizable. Watch out, she hugs!

Driven by insatiable curiosity, she possibly holds the world’s record for curriculum changes to the point that she’s never quite earned a degree but is a force to be reckoned with at Trivial Pursuit.
More about Eden Winters...

“Whenever that happened, Joey clung to Troy's hand, willing him to know that Riker meant nothing.
Well, maybe not nothing. He'd given Joey a valuable gift; he'd taught him what love wasn't. During their showdown in the men's room, it had dawned on Joey what love was. Love took long walks, spent time together talking about nothing. It gave smiles, and hugs, and trips to the beach when it really didn't want to go, because it wanted to share a special place with someone else. Love gave away possessions it valued, knowing the receiver valued them more. Love admitted being wrong, said it was sorry, and did whatever it took to make things right. It called in favors and put a town on the map to make life better for one person who lived there.
Love was Troy.”
1 likes
“Unfortunately, Erica's talent was acting, his writing, and gauging by her superior smirk, she was a reader, too, and he an open book.” 1 likes