Start by marking “New Media: A Critical Introduction” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
New Media: A Critical ...

Dovey Jon

New Media: A Critical Introduction

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
With this text, a team of authors from the University of West England provide a comprehensive overview of the culture, technologies and history of new media and assess claims that a media and technology revolution is underway.
Published January 29th 2009 by Routledge (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about New Media, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Media

Jacqueline
Mar 24, 2008 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is by far the best written new media text I've come across. It addresses and complicates many false assumptions about media and equally presents multiple sides to a debate. Additionally, I really appreciate that it defines cultural terms that are often taken for granted (that we know what they mean) or are misused. It addresses media from many perspectives - technological, social, historical, and cultural - I definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in moving beyond the typical " ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 16, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Though I don't have too much experience reading *textbooks* about new media, this one struck me as particularly well-done and thorough. Though I'm not always wholly convinced by the authors' conclusions, their synthetic and clear approach that takes into account an incredibly broad swath of writing on all different types of new media is much appreciated. I plan to use many portions of this book in a course I will soon be teaching, as well as model some of its case studies in choosing others that ...more
Debra Manskey
Aug 17, 2016 Debra Manskey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a required text for my current university unit and while it is incredibly informative, it is at times very dense. A lot of weekly readings were taken from this and in terms of study and providing an academic view of something so many of us take for granted, it is an absolute winner.
New Media is most definitely a text book for communications students. If you have an interest in the subject there's certainly something here for you but I couldn't recommend it for light reading!
Kirsty Shark
Sep 27, 2013 Kirsty Shark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book to brush up on a few things and I've since decided to buy it. The book covers a lot of ground and I could see it being really useful for teaching and readings. It's also handy for learning about or getting perspective on new media topics which you aren't so familiar with.
Ez
Jul 21, 2012 Ez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university-books
Great if new media and convergence is your thing..........it's not mine!
Carol
Nov 28, 2007 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
potentially interesting material, but boring to sit and read through
Franek
Franek marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Hazal Yazıcıoğlu
Hazal Yazıcıoğlu marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Raoof
Raoof marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
KJ St.
KJ St. marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Asia
Asia rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Sarah El-aasser
Sarah El-aasser rated it it was ok
May 29, 2016
Nkosana Dube
Nkosana Dube marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Traci Evans
Traci Evans marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Luana
Luana rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Summit
Summit marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Bella
Bella added it
Apr 10, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Athanasios Tsakiris
Athanasios Tsakiris is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Mr Ian Hunt
Mr Ian Hunt rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Tim
Tim is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2016
Nabeel
Nabeel marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Matthew Hughes
Matthew Hughes rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Kids Living and Learning With New Media
  • Fans, Bloggers, and Gamers: Media Consumers in a Digital Age
  • The Language of New Media
  • Remediation: Understanding New Media
  • Personal Connections in the Digital Age
  • A Creator's Guide to Transmedia Storytelling: How to Captivate and Engage Audiences Across Multiple Platforms
  • Interface Culture: How New Technology Transforms the Way We Create and Communicate
  • The Future of Learning Institutions in a Digital Age (The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Reports on Digital Media and
 Learning)
  • Young People, Ethics, and the New Digital Media: A Synthesis from the Good Play Project: A Synthesis from the GoodPlay Project (The John D. and Catherine ... Series on Digital Media and Learning)
  • The Breakup 2.0: Disconnecting Over New Media
  • Youtube: Online Video and Participatory Culture
  • Beyond Barbie and Mortal Kombat: New Perspectives on Gender and Gaming
  • Life on the Screen
  • Locke and Key: Omega #2
  • The New Media Reader [With CDROM]
  • Welcome to the Funnel: Proven Tactics to Turn Your Social and Content Marketing up to 11
  • No Sense of Place: The Impact of Electronic Media on Social Behavior
  • Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America (Technology, Education--Connections) (Technology, Education - Connections (The TEC Series))