Start by marking “The Bride Bargain (Prairie Promises, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bride Bargain (Prairie Promises, #1)

The Bride Bargain (Prairie Promises #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,030 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
When dropped from the wagon train along the Platte River for not pulling their load, Clara Fields is determined to find a way to provide for her newly-widowed aunt. So she strikes a bargain with an aging storekeeper that in exchange for finding a bride for his son Clara can have his house to run a boardinghouse. But Dr. Saul Reed is not interested in getting tied down to B ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Barbour Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bride Bargain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride Bargain

Short-Straw Bride by Karen WitemeyerA Tailor-Made Bride by Karen WitemeyerA Bride for Keeps by Melissa JagearsSixty Acres and a Bride by Regina JenningsA Bride in Store by Melissa Jagears
Books with "Bride" in the Title :)
26th out of 121 books — 41 voters
Unearthly by Cynthia HandHallowed by Cynthia HandBoundless by Cynthia HandRadiant by Cynthia HandLost Scene from Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
"Clara"
20th out of 52 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

SheLove2Read
Oct 24, 2009 SheLove2Read rated it it was ok
I liked this book but I didn't love it. Its nicely done but there's no "wow" factor to it like a really great read gives you.

This is definitely a Christian novel and while not heavy on scripture, is probably not something a non-Christian would find appealing. The theme of the story, which I think most people can appreciate and relate to, is pride. There's also the underlying theme of disappointment in God not answering your prayers but giving you what He wants in return, which turns out even bet
Janine
Sep 27, 2014 Janine rated it really liked it
"The Bride Bargain" by Kelly Eileen Hake had me turning the pages to see what happens next even long after my bedtime. I just couldn't put the book down.

I found the book to be full of those moments where one just might groan out loud because of how obvious things were to the reader, and the characters are completely clueless. There were times when I wanted to just give them a good, but gentle, slap across the back of the head because a character was just so clueless or the deed was so obvious.
Faith
This book was okay. I loved the plot, but some of the execution was so-so. Especially at the end. One thing that really bugged me was that Clara's last name kept changing. Is she Miss Field, Miss Edgerly, or Miss Reed? The other thing that I found was that the ending was very disappointing. It wrapped things up way too quickly and in a very confusing manner. It almost felt like Ms. Hake was running out of time and had a deadline to meet or so many words to meet to finish the book and she hurried ...more
Crystal
Feb 16, 2016 Crystal rated it really liked it
Gr4eat book. Set in the mid 1850s on the Oregon Trail, hake's whit and relatable characters make this book shine. fast read. want to read more from this author...
Melissa
This was a cute idea but was not executed well. The writing was all over the place with changing POV in the middle of a page and jumping around from one place to the next. The story just didn't flow well. The characters where interesting, but needed more depth. There was an ok amount of prayer and going to church not at all too preachy. But I hung in their and kept reading, but the end was a train wreck and just left be irritated. How many misunderstandings can there be between two people, well ...more
Joanna K.
Aug 05, 2015 Joanna K. rated it really liked it
Normally I don't expect much from prairie romance fiction, but I was happily surprised with this book. I liked the characters, there was humor throughout, and the writing flowed well. There was pretty good spiritual content, with the exception of the main character agreeing to the bargain without any reservations of conscience. But in the end she learned something about herself and there was a fairly good resolution to the story. My only other comment is that this book is written from four diffe ...more
Ara Floyd
Feb 22, 2016 Ara Floyd rated it really liked it
I was out of things to read, so I picked this book up, and I wasn't really in the mood for historical romance at the time so i didn't really get into it at first. But after a few days of trying I started to really enjoy it.
At times I found myself laughing at how the characters' schemes played out and other times banging my head against the wall at how clueless Clara was to what was so apparent and right in front of her.
Also the ending seemed rushed, like the author only had a certain number o
Ruth
Aug 28, 2008 Ruth rated it liked it
A pool read, a rather predictable but sweet romance.
Abbi
Feb 18, 2012 Abbi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dusty-books
Review originally posted on my blog Christian Novels
My Thoughts

When I heard that Cathy Marie Hake's daughter Kelly had written a series of books I was quite anxious to read them but because of my limited budget I didn't ended up purchasing the books when they came out. So when I saw a deal I couldn't pass up I snagged the set, though due to the amount of books I had to read I took me awhile to get around to actually reading them.

Boy, was I sorry I waited! This book was extremely well written and
Kathryn
Nov 23, 2012 Kathryn rated it liked it
I don't know if reading the books out of order was a mistake, but this book didn't move as fast for me as later books did in this series. I liked the history background that this book gave as to Midge's hard life of destitution, loss of family and her meeting of Doctor Saul Reed and him taking her on as his ward even though he was unmarried and a starting doctor in Baltimore.

You also get to meet Clara and Aunt Doreen and learn of their hardship during the Oregon train migration. How women were c
Angela Bycroft
Feb 09, 2013 Angela Bycroft rated it really liked it
Every now and then a story comes along that simply is a pleasure to read and demands no deep thinking or serious reflection. Just a simple tale of two different people, both wanting to gain their own agenda and yet indirectly both heading in the same direction. Clara and Doreen have been abandoned by the wagon train as without a man around they have been lagging behind. Arriving in the small town of Bottonwood, they are taken in by kind hearted storekeeper Josiah, who has plans of his own. His s ...more
Deana
Aug 25, 2010 Deana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-done
This young author has written a great teen/young adult story about Clara and her aunt Doreen who have the guts to move west with a wagon train without benefit of a man's presence. Dragging themselves into town 2 days after the wagon train abandons them, they meet Josiah Reed, a lonely storekeeper, whose family is back east. He needs a woman's touch in his lonely huge home and they need respite. Josiah proposes a bargain in which if Clara gets Saul Reed to marry a girl in Buttonwood then Clara ca ...more
Wendy
Oct 09, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Clara Field and her Aunt Doreen Edgerly are headed for Oregon for a new start in life. Doreen married a very cruel man so she would be able to raise Clara after her parents were killed. She didn't know how bad a life she would have with that man and he detested Clara. Now it is Clara's turn to do something for her aunt, and that is to start over. It is unusual for a wagon train to take on a wagon with no man but there is a man who has agreed to help them in exchange for meals so they are headed ...more
Margaret Chind
Nov 12, 2009 Margaret Chind rated it liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: CFBA

My review is from reading an ARC version thanks to Angie of Barbour Books. An enjoyable read by an author new to me. In the same way that I enjoy, but do not absolutely love the work of Cathy Marie Hake I earnestly enjoy the writing of Kelly Eileen Hake as well. Being the same age as the author also gives me another reason to awe and praise her work. In the future I definitely look forward to reading many more stories from Kelly Eileen Hake to come.

First let me start with the only real downside
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
Dec 31, 2009 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it it was amazing
I have read other historical books by Kelly Hake, but I must say that this one was a favorite! Kelly has the talent to mix history with romance and faith, making a wonderful story! Her story line is tender and loving.

When I sat down to read this book, the first couple of pages took a bit to really capture me, but once I got past those pages, I was totally into the book, the characters, the plot and I didn't want to put the book down!

Kelly Hake is a young writer, but somehow she captures the life
Dawn
May 31, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
I loved the world of this book. It was such a feel good, small town. I was a bit disappointed that the end of the book wasn't a couple of chapters longer--I feel like a couple of things that needed to be resolved were crammed together in a few pages instead of taking the time to flesh them out a bit more, but all in all I loved this book. I'm very excited to find out it's a series so I can continue on with it!
Cathy
Aug 06, 2011 Cathy rated it liked it
Set down upon the wild American plains during the 1850s, Clara is desperate for a home and a future for herself and her aunt. Striking a bargain with a lonely trader to fool a head-strong doctor could lead Clara to an unexpected avenue of romance.

Pretty predictable, though the storyline jumped around a lot and seemed to steer off into obscure subplots; it always came back to the obvious, though. The ending was rather abrupt, I guess we got to the book's objective and there it ended. The Christia
Carolyn Poppell
Sep 29, 2014 Carolyn Poppell added it
Recommends it for: young women +
This was a good book portrayed in the west with people overcoming doubt and hardships. The Bride Bargain is an easy read that just flows along with hardly any bumps. I loved the practical and silly way that Saul and Clara got together and the ways Mr. Reed had it all planned out. Overall, this is a sweet book of romance with light humor and a good strong belief in God.
Joan Arning
Aug 15, 2016 Joan Arning rated it liked it
The Bride Bargain is a cute historical story of a young woman and her aunt who are left behind by a wagon train after they have trouble with their cantankerous ox! I especially like the secondary characters of the aunt and the storekeeper. Some parts were not real believable for me but overall, I enjoyed the book.
Anne Osterlund
Jun 22, 2011 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it
Clara is a young woman on the Oregon Trail determined to make her own way. Without the help of a man.

Saul is a recently graduated medical student determined to set up his own practice in the city. Without his father’s assistance.

However, when Clara’s ox wanders off and both she and her aunt are stranded in Buttonwood, who should they run into but Saul’s father?

Who offers Clara a bargain:

His house.

In exchange for:
a. finding his son a good woman.
b. convincing Saul to get married.
And c. persuading
Jenny
Feb 26, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it
I really love reading historical novels, but I did't really like this one. It was too slow paced, I was getting to the end and nothing was really happening. Also, it rapped up to quickly one minute you don't know whats happening and the next they are getting married.
Sara
Jan 17, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
Ms Hake's books pull me into the story and allows me to sit on the sidelines to cheer on the characters. Saul's determination to leave Buttonwood to set up his practice in Baltimore is a very noble cause. Midge is a wonderful supporting character that adds depth. Clara made me laugh often with her shennanigans to reach her goal. Readers almost see new stories branching off of this one. I can't wait to meet everyone again and see how Clara and Saul are doing.
Apr 27, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
Carman
Feb 11, 2016 Carman rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic! She has so much humor in her book, I was laughing the whole time! I look forward to her next books and will be sure to read them as soon as they come out.
Krissi
Aug 21, 2014 Krissi rated it really liked it
good storyline, looking forward to reading more in this series. strong Christian/God references throughout, but not overwhelming, used to support character thinking/decisions.
Bree
Nov 28, 2014 Bree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-ebooks
Typical Kelly hake book. Strong independent sassy female characters. Clare makes a deal with Saul's father to help get Saul married off. Romance with typical ending.
Sara Smith
May 06, 2014 Sara Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about a woman and her aunt by themselves on a wagon train headed to Oregon. A good reminder that life never turns out as we plan...sometimes it turns out better.
Marcie Miller
Jul 11, 2015 Marcie Miller rated it liked it
This book was okay, but couldn't keep my jnterest. Nothing eventful to keep the curiousity going. I would consider it a very mild romance.
Val
Mar 28, 2016 Val rated it it was ok
I had high expectations for this book but I was disappointed:( The story was cute but there wasn't anything to keep me hanging on and not wanting to put the book down.
Tracy
Dec 25, 2015 Tracy rated it liked it
A good, clean, humorous read. Look forward to reading more as Hake's writing matures.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 01, 2015 08:28PM
  • California Chances: Three Brothers Play the Role of Protector as Romance Develops (California Chances #1-3)
  • The Anonymous Bride (Texas Boardinghouse Brides, #1)
  • A Promise for Spring (Heart of the Prairie #3)
  • Petticoat Ranch (Lassoed in Texas, #1)
  • Oregon Brides
  • Dawn Comes Early (The Brides of Last Chance Ranch, #1)
  • Unbridled Dreams
  • Lightning And Lace (Texas Legacy #3)
  • A Stitch in Time: Basket Stitch/Double Cross/Spider Web Rose/Double Running
Kelly Eileen Hake is a reader favorite of Barbour's Heartsong Presents series, where she has released several books. A credentialed Secondary English teacher in California, she is pursing her MA in Writing Popular Fiction. Known for her own style of witty, heartwarming historical romance, Kelly is currently writing the Prairie Promises trilogy, her first full-length novels. She has been writing si ...more
More about Kelly Eileen Hake...

Prairie Promises (3 books)
  • The Bride Backfire (Prairie Promises, #2)
  • The Bride Blunder (Prairie Promises, #3)

“If you look closely enough, every decision has its roots in what a person wants. Scratch the surface, and you'll find a reason behind every action.” 4 likes
“You never know what you're missing when you run away from a conversation.” 3 likes