Start by marking “Understanding the Mind: An Explanation of the Nature and Functions of the Mind” as Want to Read:
Understanding the Mind: An Explanation of the Nature and Functions of the Mind

Understanding the Mind: An Explanation of the Nature and Functions of the Mind

This work seeks to provides an explanation of the mind in a combination of profound philosophical exploration and practical psychology. The first part explains how Buddhist psychology is based on an understanding of the mind as a formless continuum that is related to, yet separate from, the physical body. Through understanding the nature of the mind and the process of cogn ...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Tharpa Publications (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding the Mind

Khenpo Gurudas
Feb 25, 2012 Khenpo Gurudas rated it it was amazing
As we have come to expect, this wonderfully written Buddhist masterpiece provides practitioners with an insightful, concise and clear understanding of the mind, while providing a handbook and roadmap to nurture positive states of mind, such as love, compassion, effort and patience for the benefit of all sentient beings.

It's not for the faint of heart, as Geshe-la forces us to look at our minds, and expose even its most subtle nuance, delusion, and habituation.

A refreshing change from the duplic
Jamie George-holland
I was able to get this book before it even hit the bookstores because it was being sold at the Meditation Center I go to, which was founded by the author, Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. Wow, such an phenomenal book. Explains the mind in such detail and clarity that you feel certain only a highly realized master could write such a book. I came to study Buddhism because I was having so many problems with anxiety, that it was effecting my entire life. Buddhism helped me understand the process of anxiety and ...more
Thomas
Jul 25, 2008 Thomas added it
This book got me sucked into the world of Buddhism for a while. For those interested in the the classification and function of the mind according to those friendly Tibetans, Kelsang Gyatso provides a nearly flawless reduction of Dharmakirti's Valid Cognition. Definitely provides an understanding of the foundation of Buddhist psychology, if you dare at all to enter that converstation. Be prepared for self-referential definitions...
Garydtee
Jun 06, 2012 Garydtee rated it it was amazing
Profound, moving, and challenging. GKG pulled out the big guns in writing this book that deals with the nature of the human mind and it's relationship to ordinary and ultimate reality. I have returned to this one many times.
Charles
Mar 20, 2014 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso ; a Bhuddist who started the Kadampa Tradition in the UK. An excellent insight into a meaningful pathway that illuminates the heart of Bhuddism so far and utterly removed from populist mythologies of Bhuddist concepts that are widespread commercially and thus ideologically in mainstream culture. Utterly fascinating and a treasure to truly behold, even with the notions that I choose to disagree with. Gyatso teaches about gross and subtle mind, states of attachment ...more
Marlen Sauras
Jul 07, 2014 Marlen Sauras rated it it was amazing
I bought this book in a buddist retire when it just have come out. I really love it, it's claire, very well structured, ful of wisdom and knowledge. A book to be read again and again, a book to study and make into practise if you really want to take advantage of its content.
To most of us that are completly ignorant of the nature and function of the mind, find it far more interesting than other psicological views, richer and straight to the point.
I highly recommend it, whether you are a buddist
Mark
Mar 11, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Understanding the mind is an incredibly lucid explication of how the mind works, which puts it in the area of Buddhist study known as abhidharma. Abhidharma is difficult to understand, and the necessarily dry presentation makes this book difficult to read. If you are looking for a more practical book on Buddhism by Geshe Kelsang try, How to Solve Our Human Problems, or Universal Compassion.
Randi Taylor-Habib
Nov 08, 2008 Randi Taylor-Habib rated it it was amazing
I've been "currently reading" this one for years, there is a class to break it down, it details the Tibetan view of the mind, comparing the views of different schools (monasteries) in how we cognize what we perceive as reality through our sense powers and mental projection. Also breaks down how karma works to create our reality, something not covered by many optimist tomes.
Tomk
Jan 22, 2012 Tomk rated it it was amazing
I studied this book in Foundation Class. It is steep sledding on your own. The second half which covers mental factors is more accessible. I think it is best studied as part of a class with commentary. We took nearly 2 years for this study.
Linda
Oct 07, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality, studied
Finished July 2011.
Wendy
May 05, 2010 Wendy added it
Loved it!
Ms.
Ms. rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2007
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Kunden Kelsang
Kunden Kelsang rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2013
Nicholas Alexander
Nicholas Alexander rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2011
Ernesto Aguilar lópez
Ernesto Aguilar lópez rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
May 09, 2010
monse
monse rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2016
Steve Reber
Steve Reber rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Myo Oo
Myo Oo rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Harry Whitewolf
Harry Whitewolf rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Haley
Haley rated it did not like it
Sep 17, 2016
Stephane
Stephane rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2011
George
George rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2008
Lauper
Lauper rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
Kenny B.
Kenny B. rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2014
Avery Barnette
Avery Barnette rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2017
Rat Xue
Rat Xue rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
David Jacombs Jr.
David Jacombs Jr. rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Christa Rook
Christa Rook rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Working With Anger
  • Reflections On A Mountain Lake: Teachings On Practical Buddhism
  • Pay Attention, for Goodness' Sake: Practicing the Perfections of the Heart--The Buddhist Path of Kindness
  • Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand: A Concise Discourse on the Path to Enlightenment
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Nothing to Do, Nowhere to Go: Reflections on the Teachings of Zen Master Lin Chi
  • The Buddha and His Teachings
  • Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away: Teachings on Impermanence and the End of Suffering
  • Buddhism With An Attitude: The Tibetan Seven-Point Mind Training
  • The Healing Power of Mind: Simple Meditation Exercises for Health, Well-Being, and Enlightenment (Buddhayana Series, VII)
  • Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • Be the Person You Want to Find: Relationship and Self-Discovery
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • In Buddha's Kitchen : Cooking, Being Cooked, and Other Adventures at a Meditation Center
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso is a fully accomplished meditation master and internationally renowned teacher of Buddhism, particularly know for the revival of the Kadampa school of Tibet.

From the age of eight Geshe-la studied extensively in the great monastic universities of Tibet and earned the title ‘Geshe’, which literally means ‘spiritual friend’. Under the guidance of his Spiritual Guide, Ky
More about Kelsang Gyatso...