Gus & His Gang

Gus & His Gang (Gus #1-2)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In Gus, Blain plays on every trope of the classic Western. Perfectly blending caricature and cinematic pacing, humor and high-octane action, he delivers an exuberant graphic novel ode to men and women chasing each other, and to the bonds of friendship that tie together three unforgettable cowboys.
Published September 30th 2008 by First Second (first published January 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Gus & His Gang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gus & His Gang

Damien
I was excited when I heard this book was out, based on Isaac the Pirate. I think I like those books more however. Gus & HIs Gang is more rambling. Short, seemingly extemporaneous episodes. In fact "Clem & His Gang" might be a more appropriate title since the book ends up focusing on him.

The story is a fun adventure story. Wild West outlaws trying to get laid. Doesn't try to be anything more than that. The artwork is inspiring in that it's descriptive without being fussy. That makes it so...more
Jamil
A set of stolen reviews, copy & paste style, of Gus & His Gang by Joe McCulloch, /Dustin Harbin, & Abhay Khosla, respectively. If you're interested in more, please visit the links.

& yes, The colors in this thing are absolutely freaking AMAZING!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...a pastiche of American cowboy fiction carried across thirteen chronological vignettes, following long-nosed Gus, oval-headed Gratt, and broccoli-haired Clem as th...more
R.
Christophe Blain aime particulièrement les univers bien masculins. Après les marins, il s’attaque aux cow-boys, à quand le football, la course automobile et la guerre — la politique c’est déjà fait et puis il y a la parité ! Si ces rudes gars sont capables des pires actions et n'aiment rien de plus que leurs camarades — et l'argent —, il n'en sont pas moins très intéressés par la gente féminine. Et c'est justement sur ce sujet qu'est centré ce premier tome des aventures de Gus et de ces deux com...more
Will
It took me a few pages to recognize the writng and graphic awesomeness of this tome. The more I read/viewed the more in love with it all I became. Beautiful stuff. Typically the western genre is not my forte, however this french comic-tician is above all an artist and a story-teller supreme. Gus and his Gang are bright and vivid characters. The fact that they are basically superhero outlaws is just a minor, albeit spectacular, point of interest. The core of these stories (and guys) is their long...more
Mike Sgier
'Gus and His Gang' is a collection of short vignettes following a band of outlaws in the old American West, as they rob banks and trains, and embark upon various romantic entanglements as they bounce from town to town. The story is loose and a tad disjointed, so anyone looking for a complete narrative might be disappointed. And the focus of the stories half-way through falls on Clem, one of Gus's outlaw buddies, and his relationships with a mistress, his wife, and daughter. Blain's artwork and c...more
Dave
The art in this book seemed almost too hasty in its execution, but was nevertheless gripping. I think the childish nature of the art provided an interesting contrast to the adult nature of the story and may have been borderline disconcerting. I also found it interesting that the book meandered away from it's titular character as much as it did, though given that Gus was one of the more two dimensional characters I've ever read I can't blame Blain for making that choice. Overall I'd say that this...more
Matt
Sep 11, 2008 Matt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Comics afficianados, complicated people, People who laugh
Shockingly good. I expected a ludicrous spoof of cowboy Westerns. While it is funny, what I got was something more post-modern and interesting, with complex characters who have elements of the poet, the father, the gambler, the lover, the thug. It reminded me of a synthesis of Trondheim's "Dungeon" and Sfarr's "Vampire Loves." Since Blain has worked with both creators, I should be surprised.

Really top-notch cartooning, good dialog, and genuine weirdness. I recommend it highly.
Stuart
There's simply no getting around it. This is my FAVORITE comic book ever made. Non-stop laughs coupled with a story that grows and matures thematically as you turn its pages. Blain really captures what it feels like to be a young man talking with your buddies about girls, girls, girls as is typical and eventually segways into the inevitable stages of growth that all boys must endure to become men. A book that really hit me deeply, I simply can't say enough about it.
Roderick Mcgillis
Much fun. I especially like the homage to Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson, "My Rifle, My Pony, and Me." Chris Blain has obviously immersed himself in western fiction and film. We have everything from Butch Cassidy to The Villain, Deadwood to Goin' South in this book. We even have Rooster Cogburn's two-gun ride with reins in teeth from True Grit. Anyone who knows and likes westerns will enjoy this romp.
Robert
This is the second book in a row I read blind and the second in a row I did not enjoy. It claimed to be a translation (with no mention of the original language) and the stories were confused and pointless - not the good kind of 'I don't know where this is going but really want to know'' pointless but rather the 'why am I still reading' pointless.
Will Hunt
One of my favorite comics of all time.
Christophe Blaine's art really delivers. G&HG has some of the best use of color around. The story itself is nothing too mind blowing but the subtleties in the character interaction is where this book shines. This is of the most realistic depictions of female psychology I have seen in a comic.
Andrés Santiago
This was OK. Chris Blain draws beautifully, I love his inking work. The only problem with this are the scripts, it is full of clichés and jumps back and forth too much. There is a lot of sex in it, which is not a complaint, but it feels like watching a Frech Film, where they talk a lot and suddenly thery are in bed together.
Melissa
The most orange comic book I've ever seen! There's something incredibly fun and sweet about Gus and said gang. I like the vibe of this and Vampire Loves: whatever genre you're in, you'll always be a fool for love.
Juju
Calling this a western is somewhat misleading. For Christophe Blain the bank robberies and train heists are really only the background for the love lives of these three outlaws. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more volumes in this story, and I'll read them, too, if they're anywhere as good as this one.
David
Blain's cartooning is fantastically good. He's among the best working today. But as a novel, this ambles and rambles, and eventually leads nowhere in particular. Maybe that was Blain's plan, but it left me feeling like I'd been cheated out of a conclusion (or left out of an in-joke).
Margot
Chapter after chapter of outlaw romance. Cruising for women in the elusive El Dorado interspersed with train robberies and stagecoach holdups. Cartoonish characters that can be rugged and ruthless with the best of them, but clean up very well for a night out on the town. Deeelightful.
Rory
Definitely a 3.5. I'm not sure you need to like graphic novels or westerns to like this--because it's more than a sum of its genre parts--but, sure, it might help. It was surprisingly sexy and disjointed and exciting.
Sara
This was great fun. Except - where did Gus disappear to in the second half?? I hope there's a second book.
Angie
I really loved the colors and the drawings, but it felt too incoherent for me, personally.
Charles
Interesting, well drawn, but not very memorable. A pity because it could have been really cool.
Oscar Suescun
Cowboys who care more about their girls than about doing their outlaw jobs well.
Owen Curtsinger
I agree with Mare -- SO GOOD! His style reminds me of Joann Sfarr's. Again, SO GOOD!
Michael Stevens
this guy is so great! can't even begin to describe.
Nicholas
Staggeringly good cartooning.
Lizzy
Feb 24, 2009 Lizzy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: gn, ya
Strangely charming
Aarcanum Black
Aarcanum Black marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Christophe Blain is a French comic book writer and artist.
More about Christophe Blain...
Quai d'Orsay. Chroniques diplomatiques, tome 1 Quai d'Orsay. Chroniques diplomatiques, tome 2 Isaac the Pirate: To Exotic Lands Isaac the Pirate: Vol. 2 - The Capital Isaac le pirate, Tome 1:  Les Amériques