Start by marking “Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)” as Want to Read:
Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)

Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  2,180 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Packed with 375 recipes, more than 150 4-color photos and 400 illustrations, Baking Illustrated brings you inside America's Test Kitchen, where the Test cooks and Editors have exhaustively examined every ingredient, technique and piece of equipment that is critical to your baking success.
Published March 15th 2004 by America's Test Kitchen (first published March 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Baking Illustrated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baking Illustrated

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
Best Cookbooks
108th out of 835 books — 882 voters
The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook by Jennifer AppelFannie Farmer Baking Book by Marion CunninghamThe Great Scandinavian Baking Book by Beatrice OjakangasThe Rosie's Bakery All-Butter, Cream-Filled, Sugar-Packed Bak... by Judy RosenbergJim Fobel's Old-Fashioned Baking Book by Jim Fobel
Cookbooks on Baking
12th out of 82 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Erika
This is an inspirational tale of triumph, a pilgrim's progress of common ingredients—eggs, butter, sugar, and flour—from their humble origins to the sweet Empyrean of baked delights.

Along the way, many byways and pitfalls threaten. There are instructive example to curb those who would stray. You will meet—and recoil in heartsick horror from—the ugly pie, the misshapen biscuit, and the soggy pizza. I'll refrain from detailing the rough fate of wayward muffins to spare the reader's delicate sensib
Elisa Garza
Oct 26, 2008 Elisa Garza rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any serious baker!
OH MY GOSH! This is a baker's *dream* - the most thoroughly tested recipes for bakery-perfect treats! I love reading about how they discover each perfect recipe. I first found this book on my search for a perfect scone recipe. I crazy for scones, and I like them just right. Well, their Cakey Scones recipe is it: crisp outside, slightly dry, crumbly inside - more like cake, less like a biscuit.

I just made Molasses Spice Cookies for Eden's school . . . I love how you can see people's face change a
Clearlyclaire
If you want a quickie-version of how to bake, this is NOT the book for you. Cook's Illustrated, in its usual over-the-top scientific testing of anything with their name on it, has created a true classic with Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic. As I find myself streamlining my cookbook collection, reducing much of my library to digital, this book remains on my shelf. Beautiful photography (oh but I wish there were even more photos), in-depth analysis of what they did to the recipe and why ...more
Cristov
OK it's a cookbook so I didn't "read" it from cover to cover but I did read several of the recipes and most of the tips.

I tend to be a snob about cookbooks that don't have a picture of every item but I would recommend this to anyone looking for a well written cookbook on baking. The folks at Cook's Illustrated may not picture each recipe but what they include in the tips sections and in some recipes are photos or illustrations of what can go wrong with explanations of how and why and key steps
Rachel
This is my go-to book for chocolate chip cookies, orange walnut cranberry bread, and zucchini bread. The extremely fussy shortbread recipe (be careful or the whole thing will end up on the floor - ask me how I know) cost it one star. But it fixed my rock-like or too cake-like cookies and dry quick breads.
Stacy
Mar 21, 2008 Stacy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to bake
Shelves: great-cookbooks
This is the best baking cookbook ever. It was written by the folks at Cooks Illustrated Magazine, which means they tested every single recipe over and over again until they came up with the perfect one. Every recipe has the description of their process of arriving at the final recipe, which is really interesting if you're into that kind of science stuff.

I have made probably 15 different things out of this book and every one has been perfect, from blueberry muffins to chocolate cookies to soft p
Elizabeth
This is the best baking cookbook I've ever used. The recipes aren't necessarily the easiest way to make a chocolate cake -- but they are the way to make the best possible chocolate cake, and they tell you why. They explore the science behind why you have to beat certain things a certain way or add ingredients in a certain order. Plus, they show a lot of pictures of mistakes and how things should and shouldn't look. I like that they show pictures of their flops and tell how they fixed them and wh ...more
As with all the books in the "Best Recipes" series from America's Test Kitchen (aka Cooks Illustrated folks) every recipe has been subjected to both taste tests and science experients. I enjoy the writeups for my dose of food chemistry but love the dependability of the recipes - nothing I've baked out of this book has ever been less than amazing. Want to be an instantly good baker? Just follow the directions - no straying or improvement needed with these recipes. If you only have one baking book ...more
Ivonne
Jan 31, 2015 Ivonne marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbook-library
35.00
Liza
my lovely friend Laura bought this for me because we both love the original book by these same people "The New Best Recipes". that book and this one are the go to books for finding how to make serisously anything! this one is solely devoted to baking and it is the number one essential that everyone should have for baking.
Junio
Part of the Best Recipe Series, It tells you how to make a diverse but limited number of pastries and baked goods very well.

Some of the recipes are great and I use them regularly, like the pizza dough recipe. Others, I am usually to lazy for. That is one of the problems with Cooks Illustrated, if you are lazy, the recipe has so many more steps than you feel like doing, but you know that if you don't follow the steps, it will not be as tasty. A Catch-22 situation.
Mari
After a particularly disastrous cheesecake experiment one holiday a friend gifted me with this book. Although the book contains the results of many baking experiments so that you don't have to, I still do. However, I've found the recipes and advice in the book to be fantastic so far. I only deleted a star because they don't have any low fat, low cholesterol, low carb, etc. options, so the reader/baker is left to fend for themselves! ;)
Catherine Woodman
This is an excellent book, especially if you don't have alot of experience baking and you don't have alot of cookbooks. In the Cook's Illustrated style, it tells you why things work and why they don't, which can tell you why yours might not have worked as well as how to evaluate other recipes in the future, all of which is valuable, and even more valuable for the beginning cook
Margaret
This is the Bible when it comes to baking for me, and I grew up in a family of great bakers. I've given this book as a gift more often than any other, and it's always a hit. When ATK gets it right, it's because they tested it over and over and over, so we didn't have to! Bless them - even though Chris Kimball's persona is somewhat.... charm-free. This book is the best!
Lisa
Mar 23, 2007 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bakers
Shelves: cookbooks
I wish I were rich enough to buy ALL of the Cook's Illustrated books and magazines. They are both for the literary and science-loving cooks. It must take them weeks to develop the perfect recipe for scones. They try making it with heavy whipping cream, milk, and every other dairy product known to mankind before deciding which one works best for them. Pretty smart cookies.
Paula
My baking bible. The pizza dough comes out perfect every time and is so easy!

Watch out for a typo on the quantity of butter in the pie pastry recipe. Not sure if it's too much shortening or too much butter. Either way, the fat to flour ratio is off.

Best cake: classic white cake with butter frosting and raspberry almond filling. (pg. 352) Yummmmm . . . .
You absolutely can NOT go wrong with Cooks Illustrated - anything. They dissect every recipe and try it numerous ways to determine the absolute, best recipe for each dish.

And what's even better, they go over in painstaking detail how every version worked out and why the final one is the best.

I know I can always trust a recipe from them. Always.
Karen
I am a huge fan of the magazine and the tv show. This was an early birthday present so I can use it to make myself a cake. I have decided on Boston Cream Pie. Last night I made strawberry shortcake. Better get to the gym fast before I bake again! I'm putting "read" but I will continue to read it for years, as with any other cookbook.
Amber
A trust-worthy recipe for almost any classic you want to bake. If you like to experiment and have dozens of variations on a recipe, this book is not for you. If you just want a fantastic recipe that you know you could present to company on the first try, get this book. The parker-house rolls are a family favorite.
Camille
This is my go-to book for everything baking!! I have never been disappointed by any of their recipes; and made the best gingerbread I've ever eaten in my life. Like all Cook's Illustrated books, the recipes have a tendency to be very specific, which can be annoying to read but leads to excellent results!
Theo
Feb 07, 2008 Theo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Engineers and Bakers
This is the best baking book ever!!! I love this book, it's the perfect book for engineering types since they try the recipes a gazillion different ways and dissect the exact reason they chose to make it the way they did. Also, I love the illustrations of failed attempts at things.
Pedro
This book is chock full of incredible recipes, but and this is a big butt. This book is not for the beginning baker. It is great for the intermediate to advanced home baker. Folks new to baking will find the recipes intimidating and to involved. That said I love the recipe.
Heather
Hands down, this book has some of the best baking recipes I've used. It's also very fun and informative to read *how* they arrived at the measurements and quantities that they did. My sons devour the carrot cake from this book every single time!
Vanessa
Clear, concise recipes; a great baking 101 book. If you are having a problem with a certain recipe, though you may not use this books recipes all the time, they at least discuss how and why you can achieve the best results from each recipe.
Robin
This is more than a cookbook, more than an instruction manual, more than advice on all things culinary. This book is story, a tale of rapture and revelations. It can be read like a novel and keep you wanting to turn to the next page.
Rachel
I love this baking book. It has the best recipes in it with step by step instructions on how to do each of them. I use it all the time. It has the best recipe for pizza dough that I have found and it is super easy to make too!
Mary Kay
If you are interested in baking, this is an excellent book. The authors meticulously test each recipe and explain why certain ingredients work and others don't. This book has helped me become a better baker.
Jim
I am surprised by the number of recipes that have mis-printed ingredient lists (compared to the regular ATK Books they appeared in) or just plain don't work very well. A disappointment.
Maddie
The chocolate cream cheese brownies alone are worth the cost of the book, but the other recipes are wonderful as well, as are the hundreds of little tips scattered throughout the book.
Lisa
I love the Cooks Illustrated magazine and so decided to order this book. It is huge! It also has a lot of reading material in addition to recipes. I'll let you know my verdict later.
I love Cook's Illustrated 4 13 Mar 01, 2013 01:26PM
  • The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book
  • Baking
  • The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion: The Essential Cookie Cookbook
  • The Pie and Pastry Bible
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • The King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook: All the joy and variety of baking-the experience and tradition of America's most historic flour company (King Arthur Flour Cookbooks)
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • Baking with Julia: Sift, Knead, Flute, Flour, and Savor...
  • Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
  • America's Best Lost Recipes
  • The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook: Old Fashioned Recipes From New York's Sweetest Bakery
The New Best Recipe The Best 30-minute Recipe: A Best Recipe Classic (Best Recipe Series) The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook: 2000 Recipes from 20 Years of America's Most Trusted Food Magazine The Best Light Recipe