Start by marking “Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites” as Want to Read:
Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites

Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites

Soups have always held a very prominent place in the daily fare of monasteries. This collection of healthy recipes follows the orderly cycle of the 12 months of the year, features seasonally fresh produce, and includes basic recipes for stocks and sauces. Makes a great gift or addition to your cookbook collection.

Hardcover
Published June 1st 1996 by Liguori Publications (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Months of Monastery Soups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Months of Monastery Soups

Chris
Apr 10, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
We picked this up after celebrating Good Friday mass at this monks monastery back when we went to Bard. In '99 he was the only monk left, so th monastery was, by default, a hermitage, and I think the only reson the church let him stay was that he pretty much pays for his keep with a line of cookbooks. This book is fantastic - well written, simple recipies; one can never have too many soup recipies, as they make such a simple, quick meal. And its by a monk, and he's adorable, so there you are.
Pam
Dec 05, 2013 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Although I seldom follow recipes for soup, this cookbook's illustrations, poetry, and quotes are as deeply satisfying as the food it contains. I wish I could follow the Brother around in his garden and sit at his table.
Sunni
Sep 12, 2007 Sunni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: soupies
Shelves: cookingandbaking
I love this gentle book. The soups are all arranged by month and center around in-season produce for their particular time of year. Really lovely. Tomorrow, I'm making a September soup - a simmmering batch of Tomato Florentine.
Jessica
Dec 27, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone ever.
Recommended to Jessica by: Mark Amenta
Shelves: cookbooks
I can't believe I've never reviewed this book. It is one of my oldest and dearest friends. Every page is stained and more than half are notated. It's my goal to make every soup in here - but I keep going back to my favorites so it's really hard to reach that goal!

Probably one of the first, if not THE first, cookbooks I ever owned and used properly as an adult. Without exaggeration I can say I have probably used it at least once a month for 20 years. There is only one soup I haven't liked and th
Louise Mitchell
The woodcuts and quotes and tidbits about food are very interesting. I may just sit back and read through them all. So far the recipes I've tried in this book are hit and miss. Black-Eyed Pea Soup was very good, though next time I make it I will try a little less lemon, maybe 5 instead of 6 tablespoons. Veloute a la Dubarry was ok, but I probably won't make it again as I have better cauliflower soup recipes. Fava Bean Soup also I won't make again, it just didn't have enough flavor. That said, th ...more
Hope
Nov 03, 2007 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I first found out about this book from Chris, and I am so grateful. We make soup out of this book at least twice a month, and I have recommended it to lots of friends. Some of the recipes are a bit too big for 2 people, but can be easily halved. You will probably have to add extra spices to some recipes, since they can be a bit bland.
Maureen
Jan 25, 2017 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If anyone needs a really gentle book about making soup authored by some monks, I got you.
Nancy
Mar 18, 2017 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent soup cookbook. I've made three so far and they've all be delicious. Easy to follow recipes with readily available ingredients. Most are vegetarian, but you could add meat if you wanted to.
Crystal
I was hoping to find several new soup recipes but many were ones that didn't seem to work for me.
Elisa
Jan 06, 2014 Elisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like the idea of many of the recipes in this book, but the author is clear in the introduction that he has simplified many of the recipes to make them accessible to every home cook and less intimidating. Which is nice, I guess, except if you're a more experienced cook, you might find the lack of specificity in the ingredients and lack of technique in the directions frustrating. You might also realize that those issues mean that any given recipe is not going to be repeatable across time or acro ...more
Kym
Mar 26, 2016 Kym rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
The soup recipes in this book are exactly the kinds I would expect to eat in a monastery. They are simple and mostly vegetable. These recipes rely on meat broths, both beef and chicken, which I think is a good thing. There are 10-15 soups given for each month. That makes for a year of good eating! These soups are not cook-all-day affairs, nor are they rich.

The book features one recipe on each page. Most pages include a woodcut which is lovely, and often there is an explanation of the soup or a
Kate
Sep 16, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cook-bookery
Simple but good soups. Easy to make and easy to eat. The chapters are broken up by the months of the year so that no matter what the season, you can always find a soup to make! I will say that some of the soups need more herbs and spices, as they can be bland. But my husband and I have no problem experimenting off the main recipe.
Andrew
Jun 28, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It has been wonderful for discovery of what are now family favorites. Simply and charmingly compiled, with a great index by ingredients and an overall structure according to soups appropriate for each month of the year (hot & spicy for winter, rich and filling in autumn, lighter in summer).
Lee
Sep 24, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-other
A nice addition to the soup cookshelf! Take your pick from more than twelve soups every month. Most are vegetarian (or adaptable), several are vegan, and many are easily made gluten-free. I seldom can ever resist tweaking recipes so I have added a few extra herbs or spices to the basic recipes & have always been happy with the results. This is a good cookbook for the beginner.
Karen
Nov 29, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I know where the term "soup kitchen" originated from. Great illustrations…not of food but of old monastic life. Good recipes too…doesn't "Tomato Soup Florentine Style" sound good? I'll be making it.
Amber
Oct 25, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This cookbook has recipes anyone could prepare and every recipe sounds so good. I like that the recipes are divided by each month of the year to maximize on what is available at the grocery store or in your garden.

Jensownzoo
May 07, 2009 Jensownzoo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I have yet to make a soup from this book that wasn't remarkably good -- many of them have become staples in my repetoire. And the preparation and recipes aren't complicated either.
Jec
May 23, 2011 Jec rated it liked it
a good book with very basic recipes that would be worth trying. funny thing about these monks...they certainly do like to use a lot of wine in their soups....
Carla Miller
Jan 10, 2014 Carla Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. I love how the cooking goes along with the year. Everything I've made so far and received rave reviews from my family. Truly a cookbook worth having on the shelf.
Heather Nandell
Jan 17, 2011 Heather Nandell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this cookbook. I use it throughout the entire year. I have recommended it to many friends, but I won't loan out my copy, SO DON'T ASK!!
Ammie
Sep 23, 2010 Ammie rated it really liked it
I've only made one soup out of here so far, since it's summer, but it was good and the others look intriguing. Plus there's a bald monk on the cover. That alone is enough to endear it to me.
Cathy
63-cream of asparagus soup, 124-spicy carrot and orange soup
Stefania
Sep 01, 2007 Stefania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love soup and this is a good book.
Deborah
The soups in this book are mainly vegetarian but most require cheese or milk or eggs, so they are not vegan.
Ratforce
Develop your cooking skills with these monastery recipes using seasonal ingredients.
Meredith Henning
I can't wait to try some of these, it's incredible on first look through.
Lynda
Jun 24, 2009 Lynda rated it it was amazing
Soup recipes are an obsession of mine. This is my favorite soup cookbook.
Emily
Aug 24, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
can't wait to get started on this one, but I'd rather go have Brother Victor cook for me as it is not something I enjoy. I like that it is organized by months
Jun 02, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I LOVE soup! There are wonderful recipes in this little book. The only thing I dislike is the style, it fits the monastery theme, dull, colorless, sans verve.
Caleb Lagan
Caleb Lagan rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2013
  • The Vegetarian Meat & Potatoes Cookbook: 275 Hearty and Healthy Meat-Free Recipes
  • The German Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • Cover & Bake
  • Please to the Table: The Russian Cookbook
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • What's a Cook to Do?: An Illustrated Guide to 484 Essential Tips, Techniques, and Tricks
  • French Farmhouse Cookbook
  • The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques, and Science of Good Cooking
  • Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking
  • Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes
  • The Olive and the Caper: Adventures in Greek Cooking
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
  • How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science
  • Lidia's Commonsense Italian Cooking: 150 Delicious and Simple Recipes Anyone Can Master