Start by marking “A method for prayer: With Scripture expressions and directions for daily communion with God” as Want to Read:

True prayer comes from the heart, so why do we need a method? The great devotional commentator and pastor shows here that Christians benefit from discipline just as much as talking freely with God. You will discover the methods Jesus taught, look at styles of prayer, and see helpful examples. Duncan has incorporated some of Henry's other work on prayer.

Ligon Duncan has edi
Unknown Binding, 390 pages
Published April 28th 1994 by Reformed Academic Press (first published 1710)

To ask other readers questions about A method for prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A method for prayer

Meghan
I want to start off by saying that I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. I usually wait to the end to tell people that, but I wanted to say first and foremost that I didn't buy this book - and you shouldn't too.

1) It's for sale for $.99 on Amazon, but according to the description, you can get the e-book and audio free on his website. Leaves me wondering why he has it for sale on Amazon then.

2) It is the exact book written by Reverend Matthew Henry back in 1710, so if
Mike E.
This book is not what I was expecting, but I am glad that I have it on my shelf and took the time to read it. The bulk of the book is arranged around the biblical components of prayer (adoration, confession, supplication for our needs, thanksgiving, intercession. For example chapter one takes on the theme of adoration with 15 headings. Under each heading Henry lists various texts of Scripture arranged in a unified way, easily read or prayed. For example heading #14 in chapter 1 says, "We must ma ...more
Steve
Sep 02, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most thorough and practical guides to the use of scripture in prayer that I have ever encountered and I find myself going back to it again and again for direction and inspiration in my daily prayer life. Matthew Henry encourages prayer that encompasses an approach to God, adoration, confession, petition, thanksgiving and intercession. Praying the words of scripture is one of the best ways to pray and Henry has left us a practical guide to help us pursue this goal.
Isaiah Jesch
Jul 20, 2014 Isaiah Jesch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I took quite a long time to read through this work. I came to it with some different expectations, but as I read it, I grew to appreciate Henry's work all the more. His sermon on prayer in the morning was particularly good and convicting. That alone was worth the read and would be something I plan to reread and reference to keep my prayer life alert. I felt the book was a little long, though being a number of sermons put together, I understand why it is so.
Martha
Jan 09, 2008 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will really melt your heart when you read it. It gives a systematic explanation for the proper structure of pray (following the Lord's Prayer, etc.). But the rest of the book is actually Matthew Henry writing down his prayers. At the bottom of each page are the Bible references for direct quotes that he gives. You will be amazed how well this man knows Scripture! And his love for the Lord is extremely evident and very contagious.
Dustin
Aug 11, 2014 Dustin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to pray more scripturally? Add this book to your collection. This is one of a very few books that I would buy for every person that I meet, if I could. Stellar because of its content and organization, despite being 300 years old. My only complaint is that the prayers are written from the perspective of "we" instead of "I" or "me."
Chris Comis
Feb 10, 2009 Chris Comis rated it liked it
Anything and everything you ever wanted to know about prayer is in this book. Very valuable tool for any pastor to have. It was kinda tedious to read straight through, but still a blessing nonetheless.
Becky Pliego
Apr 01, 2012 Becky Pliego rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prayer, favorites
Can I give this book more than 5 stars? It is my favorite prayer companion.

How do I use this prayer companion? I blogged about it here:

Brian
This is the granddaddy of all prayer books. Henry proposes these 5 steps in every day prayer: Adoration, Confession, Petition, Thanksgiving, & Intercession. A fantastic resource, both as devotional and reference.
Joshua Horn
The first part of this book Henry goes through various categories of prayers, and pulls out scripture verses related to that topic, and rewrites them as prayers. At the end are three excellent sermons on morning prayer, praying throughout the day, and evening prayer.
Dirk
Feb 05, 2010 Dirk rated it liked it
Great. Very devotional.
Douglas Wilson
Feb 19, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it it was amazing
Wonderful.
Lisa Spidle
Lisa Spidle rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Sellyella Maepeña
Sellyella Maepeña rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2014
CHRISTOPHER GRAHAM
CHRISTOPHER GRAHAM rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Michael Thompson
Michael Thompson rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Paul Landry
Paul Landry rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
247NurseTutors
247NurseTutors rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Chris Dunn
Chris Dunn rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2010
Doug Winter
Doug Winter rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
W Wayne Elliott II
W Wayne Elliott II rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Tiisetso
Tiisetso rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
JR McCravy
JR McCravy rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Hollie D
Hollie D rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2012
David Goundry
David Goundry rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Susan McClary
Susan McClary rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2012
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2015
Jerrill Wyler
Jerrill Wyler rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Kevin Sorensen
Kevin Sorensen rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Taking Hold of God
  • The Letters of Samuel Rutherford (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • Growing in Christ
  • Communion with God (Puritan Paperbacks)
  • A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • God at Work: Your Christian Vocation in All of Life
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • The Bruised Reed
  • Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life Study Guide
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
Matthew Henry was an English non-conformist clergyman. Henry's well-known Exposition of the Old and New Testaments (1708–1710) is a commentary of a practical and devotional rather than of a critical kind, covering the whole of the Old Testament, and the Gospels and Acts in the New Testament.
More about Matthew Henry...