Start by marking “Greece on My Wheels” as Want to Read:
Greece on My Wheels

Greece on My Wheels

In this text, Edward Enfield explores the beauty and history of the Pelopponese in a travelogue that combines wit, charm and scholarship. Returning to Greece to follow in the footsteps of the Romantic poet Lord Byron, the author's second trip sees him cycling around historic sites.
Published January 1st 2003 by Summersdale Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Greece on My Wheels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greece on My Wheels

Mark
May 19, 2013 Mark rated it liked it
Mr. Enfield appears to be one specimen of that misanthropic type of Englishman - he does not mind the English, but, "there are enough of them back home." He's a bit of a curmudgeon but then I suppose that is what becomes and endears one to his writing. I had not known of his works (even his existence) before this book, but, now I resolve to read a good few of them (at least, so many as may be more lurking at my public library. It would be a disappointment to find this is the only one they've ...more
^
Abandoned at the town of Kalavrita (p.44 out of 311). Bought second-hand, this could potentially be, despite a 2003 publication date, an interesting book for anyone considering cycle touring round Greece. However my interest failed at the point where I lost heart and all hope that the narrative would ever grow into something excitingly more purposeful than a blow by blow set of directions and observations of minutiae; for example such as feeding ants with cheese pie.

I’ll give this book a third c
Kat
Jun 25, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it
very good. If it had a map I could follow it as I read a long. this would have saved me time looking up the locations myself. It mentioned interesting places.
Liam Proven
Dec 30, 2013 Liam Proven rated it really liked it
Absolutely charming travelogue.

This is two books rammed together, possibly by a publisher. One is far more accessible than the other.

The first is an account of the author's first cycle tour of Greece, in which he does the coast of the Peloponnese. It's a charming, beguiling tale: he is humble and modest in his writing, especially in his knowledge of Greek. Only gradually does one discover that Mr Enfield is quite the classical Greek scholar, albeit an amateur, and a true philhellene: he studied
Fazackerly Toast
Sep 16, 2015 Fazackerly Toast rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
very amiable read and has got me all fired up for our half term holiday to Greece! and also to finally getting round to reading Byron's Letters and Journals that I downloaded months ago and have never got round to taking a look at.
Sharon
Jul 10, 2014 Sharon rated it it was ok
To be honest, this was not as interesting as I had hoped, but kudo's to the man for doing the bike trip at the age he was at the time.
Does tend to make one feel a desire to possibly go see Greece, and not just the Greece of the tour guides.
Ann
Nov 30, 2011 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant enough read. He has too many historical quotes in the second half of this book for my taste. However it is entertaining, nicely written and and would make you want to follow his journey.
Kelley
Sep 12, 2015 Kelley rated it it was ok
Quite average travel memoir but it did expand my knowledge of Greece which was the whole point. It did, however, make me want to bike around Ireland with my dad. Let's see.
Willo
Willo rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2014
David Murray
David Murray rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2013
Annie Wicks
Annie Wicks rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Simon
Simon rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2012
Elainedav
Elainedav rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2016
Kim Le
Kim Le rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2015
Anna Ciddor
Jun 01, 2016 Anna Ciddor rated it really liked it
Philip
Philip rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Alison W
Alison W rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Gabi Ancarola
Gabi Ancarola rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
OliveB
OliveB rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2015
Roseanna
Roseanna rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Rod
Rod rated it liked it
May 26, 2011
Terry O'Brien
Terry O'Brien rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Rosemary Oram
Rosemary Oram rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
S W P Sawyer
S W P Sawyer rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Heather Mathie
Heather Mathie rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Simon Chi
Simon Chi rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Valerie Cox
Valerie Cox rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
gregoryp
gregoryp rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014